It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mossberg troubles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   
so i was oiling and cleaning my guns, i usally do it every 6 moths if i have # it or not.

so one of the easiest guns to take apart and put together. a mossberg 500

so i get everything in in the correct order and go to drop the trigger assembly in as it just lides in, no pressure needed.

and it wouldnt go in. after 20 mins of going insane of why this wasnt working as i had done it tons of time before, could do it in my sleep kind of thing.

the two arms that you put in at the end whrere one has a spot for a nipple to come out of the gun body.

one looked kind of bent so i took them out and now i have a single action shotgun, its fun to play with but i want the simi auto finction back.

im thinking about just having a smith look at it, i have tried everything i can think of and without the bars in the gun works fires and cycles fine you just have to load every shot, it even ejects the old shells.

so im one of two things really dumb or i figured it out,

any ideas or similar experience?

i wouldnt mind getting a smith to look at it and have it reblued but if i can fix it for free that can wait

posted on Jan, 27 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: noscopebacon

The only issue I ever had with mine was and is, a bad Safety Switch (went through 4 of them). Never any issues otherwise.

Get a gunsmith.

And be careful with that thing. The kick is a shoulder killer....
edit on 27-1-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I figured you fired yours against your abs, Big. Maybe a Moss can't hold up to that?

posted on Jan, 27 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

What? With these washboards?

Everybody else:
And just in case since I can't edit the above. The safety is the "Pew" "No Pew" nubby.

posted on Jan, 27 2022 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm not allowed to have one...

so I'm told..

I just rub mine, all oiled up. When I get on a bus..

I usually miss..
or so the arresting officers say.

posted on Jan, 27 2022 @ 04:10 PM
link   

one looked kind of bent so i took them out and now i have a single action shotgun, its fun to play with but i want the simi auto finction back.

Now I'm not saying there not any out there, but all the 500's I've ever seen are pumps (which means you have to "rack" it to load a shell) and the 940's are auto loading.

posted on Jan, 28 2022 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

i was using it in the simplest terms as i could

i have to manually load a shell into the barrel fire, use the slider to eject, and reload another shell manually into the barrel again.

the arms i am referring to are the shell 'grabbers' that would grab it from the tube under the barrel and put it in like to simi automatically put another round in line.

if that is better description of what's going on, i hope it helps.

but i have decided tot take it to a smith, guns are one things that should work properly 100% no jerry rigging.

BigB: all this gun is for is home defense and has had MAYBE 100 shells put into it shooting clay birds.

after shooting 308's and 300WinMax the kick is like a gentile love tap.

posted on Jan, 28 2022 @ 05:49 AM
link   

That makes sense now. Taking it to a gunsmith is a good idea. But if your like me I like to do fix things myself, if parts are affordable enough, so it doesn't cost me as much as a new would have and I can say I fixed it.

Here is a break down and parts list,

and just one of the many forums out there, this even has a suggestion that mentions the rod being bent (he calls them levers) and in the wrong side.

One of the posts even has a link for parts., and has a complete parts list last link below.

Mossberg 500 not loading shells

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation

Here's another forum,

Mossberg 500 won't load shells

edit on 28-1-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2022 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

I'm pretty sure its part 39 the cartridge stop that got bent

the rest fits together like clockwork and I've never have a problem with this gun.

i got interrupted mid clean and had to put it up for a few days.

i am wondering if i sat on them our put something like the gun body on top of it. or whatever and it got bent.

with both 'arms' in the trigger assembly wont drop in

but i take #39 out and all works, like the gun with close the breech, fire, cycle the round out but than i have to stick a shell in.

its nice to fix things on your own but i want to know that someone who professionally fixed the almost bomb I'm holding next to my face, did you see the Kentucky ballistics video where his 50 blew the receiver out and back into his face, almost kill him.;

edit on 28-1-2022 by noscopebacon because: clarification

posted on Jan, 28 2022 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Had the same problem with my 500. Would not load the next round from the mag. Stripped it down and found that one of the arms was slightly bent, so that it wasn't grabbing the round correctly. Straightened it out and it was fixed.

posted on Jan, 28 2022 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyker

it was killing me so i bent it and know it racks as it should but I'm still going to get it looked at.

i am no gun smith.

and after seeing a few catastrophic malfunctions in my time(none with me thankfully) it is worth the few bucks and have the peace of mind knowing its ready to go

i use rifles and handgun and shotguns would never be my go to weapon but they are good for home defense as the penetration is lower compaired to an 5.56 or even a FMJ 9mm/40cal

new topics

top topics

join