It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tokamak Energy Has Just Made a Breakthrough in Nuclear Fusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Tokamak Energy, a company working on nuclear fusion technology, has recently announced a major breakthrough in its research and development. Testing of its cryogenic power electronic technology for its superconducting magnet's high-efficiency operation was, by all accounts, a big success.
The company's bid to provide the world with near-limitless energy uses a combination of spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnets. According to reports, tests of the new power electronics showed twice the efficiency of previous systems.

SOURCE

Guys nuclear fusion is just 5-10 years away.....but it's been 5-10 years away since the 1950's.

It does seem like we are finally making good progress though. With many countries and deep pocket companies jumping in on the game it does seem promising. I think we will have a commercially available reactor in 5-10 years

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

More from the article...

so more efficient men's less spent fuel, less heat too cool, etc. I still think minus 3 mile Island and Chernobyl nuclear tech would have already been much more widely accepted. It got regulated to death

amp.interestingengineering.com...

“We have now invented a new type of cryogenic power supply, based on the latest power electronics devices, that is highly efficient at low temperatures. This means we have the potential to reduce cryogenic capital and running costs for HTS magnets, by 50%, or more. This novel approach will provide significant cost savings, contributing to the achievement of commercial fusion energy,” said Tokamak Energy CEO Chris Kelsall.

This resulted in a substantial reduction in the power required to cool the HTS magnets, lowering the cost of future fusion power plants. This is a critical step toward commercializing and scaling fusion technology.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 04:11 PM
link   
From the article:

Back in 2020, Tokamak Energy was awarded significant multi-year funding by the U.S. Energy Department to enable the company to further its research and collaborate with experts on U.S. soil.

There are some fabulously wealthy companies who got there by making cell phone and watches. And whose revolutionary rumored product-in-waiting is... a car?

IMO: if you want to call yourself a disruptor, if you have deep products, and if you really want to change the world, THIS is what you pursue!

Unless your real aim is to keep enriching yourself with adult pacifiers. Your choice.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 04:14 PM
link   

ST40 is doing a Demo plant from the get go. That means everything that can be done to reduce costs will be done. From HTS logistics, to computer code, to fuel, the spherical tokamak appears efficient enough design to generate more power than put in. Especially if they only need half of the power to cool their cryogenic system down!

Great thing about fusion is if they have to shut it down they only need to shoot frozen inert gas in to disrupt the thin edge that these machines operate in.

How long has it been since we heard from Lockheed??

Great news from the fusion front! Now we need some good news from the distribution (HTS cables) and storage fronts!!

edit on 27-12-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Missing word

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Funny stuff. In 1992 I built the first adiabatic reactor heading towards absolute zero to examine BEC's, A-Z fusion, string entanglement and to create energy. I used a Gaussian toroidal field rotating at above 1C. Then I created a plasma system for it using tesla coils so I could get some visuals of the field, scared me a bit because it looked like a plasma accretion disk. NRC asked that the project be shut down in 1994. Then, later in 1994 and 1995, Eric Cornell at JILA labs in Colorado furthered my work a tiny bit (we were both on KeelyNet), he added lasers, but didn't use the plasma, because he was specifically looking at BEC's.

Most of the tech has gone military, because it can be weaponized. However, ultracold fusion is not a new thing, Kaku and I had a long discussion about that in 1993, he argued for devices like the LHC ---> hot and I thought it would be simpler and more energy efficient to go desktop sized ---> cold. With the right field controls you can literally "nudge" particles together.

I will have to look at their documentation to see how it differs from what I or Cornell were doing over 25 years ago, but I doubt it is that much different. I would presume it is specialized for energy generation only, rather than simply test and analysis equipment. This is on the right track to actually become a ZPE generator.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

SOURCE

Guys nuclear fusion is just 5-10 years away.....but it's been 5-10 years away since the 1950's.

It does seem like we are finally making good progress though. With many countries and deep pocket companies jumping in on the game it does seem promising. I think we will have a commercially available reactor in 5-10 years

I remember about 35 years ago I read in UK the Sun news.
that they said they are close to making it work.
with a photo of a fusion reactor with men in clean suits.
that photo look't Very like the ones we see now!?

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Wow you worked on one of these! Cool! When you mentioned Kaku are you talking about Dr Michio Kaku? Do you two still chat?

Imagine what we could achieve if we could have the U.S. defense budget for science for just ONE year. I wish we could get more money on the fusion project, this is really something that will make an immeasurable impact on humanity for centuries to come.

Thanks for adding some of your thoughts here and very cool that you've had a hand in the fusion project!

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Wow you worked on one of these! Cool! When you mentioned Kaku are you talking about Dr Michio Kaku? Do you two still chat?

Imagine what we could achieve if we could have the U.S. defense budget for science for just ONE year. I wish we could get more money on the fusion project, this is really something that will make an immeasurable impact on humanity for centuries to come.

Thanks for adding some of your thoughts here and very cool that you've had a hand in the fusion project!

I haven't talked to Kaku since the mid 90's, then he suddenly went over to the dark side. He gave me some good ideas on how I might be able to manipulate quantum fields and local symmetry, at least it gave me a direction in which to experiment. My work was primarily on BECs and EPR/ER solutions pertaining to string entanglement which could be used as a communication medium, re spatial compression using quantum gateways or as Kaku called it, "Hyperspace."

The energy effects of spinning toroidal gaussian fields was aside issue, literally freaked out Ontario Hydro here. It got to the point, where between the NRC and I, we told them if they wanted to see the reactor, they had better get a court order that can breach national security, otherwise they could only look at the electrical panel. They didn't like it, that my house with the lab had all electric heat and I was paying less than $30 a month when everyone else was paying $350 a month. Then again, I only ran the reactor for a limited time once or twice a week. This was in the mid 90's before there was co-generation, so seeing electrical bills reduced was very odd.

The research spawned other very interesting side projects. I did one project on gravity waves using temporal proxies (time-space undulates during the passage of gravity waves creating temporal distortions, it's a gravity well thing). It was a kind of interferometry based directly on time using a control unit and a displacement unit, rather than trying to position a series of X/Y/Z sensors coupled by lasers and RF millions of miles apart. I found I could emulate quantum structures using very specific geometry to create null spaces that could support particle/wave emulation.

I got all the weird projects ;-) Even the life extension/mRNA/rDNA modeling was way back between 1999 and 2006 and funny enough, that was spawned out of industrialized agriculture. BEC's, EPR/ER and that type of experimentation and prototyping was 1991-97, until they asked me to start making weapons again and I quit for a year. Before that I designed weapons systems, mainly DEWs (EMP, lasers, rail guns) for the military and CI overseas from 1986-90. Now I just play and build guitars, since I'm retired, it's a lot more "calming" than what I used to do.

We all have a past, mine is just different and apparently scary if one asks CSIS, at least according to my FOIA on me lol

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Hot fusion has been leashed (imo), like all other tech that lead to unmetered energy for the masses: the dinosaurs are too stupid to figure out that the whole money-oil hegemony is already a dead end (look what it is doing to the environment).

Seems to be a lot of things happening at phase transition points at either end of the energy spectrum!

The spherical tokamak is a slightly different geometry because they are using HTS coils. Code is now shared across all fusion projects because nearly all reactors utilize the same control system. This is becoming a “group project” where the group is global. The smartest idea is to use plasma energies at each stage to create other useful products to fund the reactor construction. On the other side, instead of trying to hoard energy, we can clean up our planet (every argument of the “it takes too much energy” to clean up goes away). But it still seems that the marching orders are are to delay the release as long as possible.

Must have been fun “shop talk”!!

Makes my nerdy insides burble with possibilities!!

Kind of like what a TV Jones sounds like on an offset tele!!!

-Ty for sharing just that little bit!!

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 06:05 AM
link   

I couldn't find anything in the article suggesting how many years away Tokamak Energy's reactor was, but I thought the old saying was that commercial fusion reactors were always 30 years away?

Why Nuclear Fusion Is Always 30 Years Away

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

How long has it been since we heard from Lockheed??
Then Lockheed came along in 2012 and said they had a small reactor that would be available in 5 years.

Mr. Fusion? Compact Fusion Reactor Will be Available in 5 Years Says Lockheed-Martin

I got too excited about that and thought they might be credible, but I've hopefully learned my lesson now and realized many of these fusion claims are over-hyped and have been for decades. Now that Lockheed's 5 years has already come and gone and they still seem far away from having a commercially viable reactor, it seems to me like Lockheed's will perpetually be 5 years away (according to them), but according to me it will be longer and in fact they might never get their compact reactor to be commercially competitive with the larger reactors, though it might have some military applications if it can really be put on a truck as Lockheed claimed.

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
I haven't talked to Kaku since the mid 90's, then he suddenly went over to the dark side.
What exactly do you mean by Kaku going over to the dark side? I get that it's a reference to "the force" but what did Kaku do to make you say that?
edit on 20211230 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The NAZIS discovered nuclear fusion by accident in 1937 when Dr Ronald Richter developed a method for measuring temperature in Lithium electric arc furnaces. Richter found that by injecting Deuterium (heavy water) into the furnace he could accurately measure the temperature from the resulting radiation.

The radiation resulted directly from nuclear fusion.

After WW2 Richter attempted to ressurrect the so called Nazi Bell at Cordoba, Argentina . Ian Fleming author of James Bond 007 tracked down Richter's laboratory for Mi6 and bombed his tokamak, so Richter moved his plasma physics lab to Huemul island. Anybody interested to learn more should contact Omar Depasquale in Argentina.

The Nazis built a large particle accelerator at Bissingen during WW2.
This technology has existed at least 85 years now.
edit on 30-12-2021 by RIPMH370 because: typo spelling correction

edit on 30-12-2021 by RIPMH370 because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on Jan, 5 2022 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Did the spinning magnetic toroid device use any gasses or hard to get materials or was it off the shelf parts, did it use any permanent magnets? Was the core insulated iron that was part of the circuit? Can you give any more info at all?

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: XL5

Did the spinning magnetic toroid device use any gasses or hard to get materials or was it off the shelf parts, did it use any permanent magnets? Was the core insulated iron that was part of the circuit? Can you give any more info at all?

Off the shelf parts, but some special order and/or fabricated in machine shops obviously. 99.999% pure malleable iron formed into dumbell cores and annealed multiple times (>3). NO permanent magnets. The core used sixteen high speed, high magnetic moment electromagnets driven by IRC Hexfets from a Plessey 400mhz Digital PLL with an additional x16 bipolar multiplier, 2 pancake coils and 1 focusing coil. Plasma injection was done using sixteen 100kv to >400kv Tesla coils (adjustable input voltage to control the output voltage). Plasma was two dimensional only so the accretion disc was flat, circular and razor thin (except at the 16 injection points), rather than the geometry in a conventional tokamak.

It was interesting building the device, since I built every part myself. I retained ownership of the tech, but an NRC client used it (with me managing it) for their purposes for several years. They used a piezoelectric/dielectric "fuel" in the reactor, nanostructured quartz actually.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
What exactly do you mean by Kaku going over to the dark side? I get that it's a reference to "the force" but what did Kaku do to make you say that?

For all intents and purposes, IMHO, Kaku moved over to the organized crime side of reality, that being globalists/fame/money/whatever in the late 90's to early 2000's. He seems to have dropped all his really leading edge research for being on TV. We all get older, maybe it was getting to hard for him to think his way through the physics problems, maybe TV was just easier, I don't know? We haven't communicated in over 20 years now.

Cheers - Dave

XL5

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Ahh, very different than what I was thinking about. The thought of having to make 16 Tesla coils and time them all for something that may work or might fail due to oversight is just too much (and maybe x-rays). I do know that high voltage DC arcs spin on the N or S side of a magnet that is grounded. Thought that what you mentioned could have been a modified version of this:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: XL5

Ahh, very different than what I was thinking about. The thought of having to make 16 Tesla coils and time them all for something that may work or might fail due to oversight is just too much (and maybe x-rays). I do know that high voltage DC arcs spin on the N or S side of a magnet that is grounded. Thought that what you mentioned could have been a modified version of this:

www.youtube.com...

It looks like and from what I am hearing about frequency is that the device somehow uses the Schumann resonance, maybe it sets up a natural amplification state (high Q antenna of sorts). I do something considerably different, more brute force ;-)

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

join