It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Following a Graffiti Trail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 12:34 PM
link   
People that can't write or speak proper still create some amazing graffiti. Some of those people may be fifty years old. And the purpose of the graffiti is unlimited. There are trails to everything imaginable in graffiti. Even trails that lead to the artist. In every language and combination of non-language. In the big cities, especially old ones, graffiti, if you know how to let it guide you..is better than the internet, and scarier..

I place this in this category because I wanted to discuss How similar modern graffiti in Central and South American cities has Aztec and Mayan roots. And how many different languages are in graffiti. Not phonetic languages, but language all the same.

Just curious about people here's experiences with this phenom.

I find that the urban art in most areas is like a game trail. Far more complex of course, way more than just marking territory or vandalism. Im not advocating destruction of property by any means.

I have followed some of these trails. And been truly amazed. Some of them tell you where to eat, sleep, even go to the bathroom where there isn't one. All clearly marked if you're not looking for clearly marked.
edit on 19-12-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: content

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

Can you provide some examples? Specifically for the South American / Aztec / Mayan graffiti.

Graffiti is a great subject, old Greek buildings are riddled with Graffiti carved right into the buildings from long ago. And of course modern Greece is full of Graffiti all over Athens especially, it's a cultural thing.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Can you provide some examples? Specifically for the South American / Aztec / Mayan graffiti.

It would be pretty difficult for me to follow a trail and distract myself by taking pictures, and unsafe. I wouldn't make it very far. I was hoping maybe the principle would encourage discussion and possibly bring forth some of the folks here examples or being able to relate to the language part of it, where the artist, tagger whatever actually creates their own unique language. using patterns in characters that express emotion.

The internet is chocked full of examples of street art. Im talking about something that stretches miles and encompasses an entire area, gives a regional voice to the landscape. Then a tiny trail within that..maybe its the way one arrow figure turns in a leftward spiral and points to a convenience store where a similar figure is painted on the dumpster there. This of course is a very basic example, the rabbit hole goes far deeper.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If you don't have a pocket knife with a fork and spoon attached you're not supposed to travel the hobo highway.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot

Was thinking exactly this. The hobo symbols are a good example.

www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Thats really cool. Didn't know about those, beyond just assuming there may have been rudimentary stuff like that at that time. Thank you. And yes this would be an example..now take it back a thousand years in just say Peru then follow it back to modern day, find overall similarities..In the US we only have a few hundred years to reference..so our local trails aren't that intricate or deep.But what about the central South American immigrants that bring their language here, their graffiti language that is. There would be trails..the same kind. And there are. Beyond random territorial markings or vandalism.reply to: strongfp

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   

This is an extremely deep subject, which involves heavy insight into linguistics as a whole.
People spend their entire lives and careers dedicated to the 'flow' of language from one area to the next.

I am not the most versed in mesoamerica / south American languages. But I have learned a few things over the years, for starters the link between the use of Dragon like figures that span from Asian to the America's, even native north American cultures had a dragon like figure, and of course the dragon / serpent like depictions in South America.

I remember when I visited Mexico a while back, I got into a conversation with one of the people who worked at the hotel, and he hooked me up with a tour guide who also worked in antiquities, he did tours as a side job.
He went on about how the Mayan and Aztec names that still exist today resemble those of ancient Asian names with short and abrupt sounds like "chok" and "chin" (don't know the exact spelling but I remember those to very specifically). Now, whether he was telling the truth or not, I don't know, but I did need to meet him at his office which was at a college, so his job was legit.

Dragon symbols are found all over the world, and some myths of them 'morph' into other cultures.

symbolsage.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp
Many cultures never had a need for any language other than what they heard like birds chirping, monkey's chattering and just went about their business listening to that and when it stopped they did as well meaning danger was likely around to take shelter.

Like don't blame the Amazonians for poison arrowing you because your dumbass was making bird or monkey noises in the jungle.

edit on 19-12-2021 by Crowfoot because: editing

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I highly doubt any culture communicates in bird chirps and monkey calls to each other as their main form of communication.
edit on 19-12-2021 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned
People that can't write or speak proper still create some amazing graffiti. Some of those people may be fifty years old. And the purpose of the graffiti is unlimited. There are trails to everything imaginable in graffiti. Even trails that lead to the artist. In every language and combination of non-language. In the big cities, especially old ones, graffiti, if you know how to let it guide you..is better than the internet, and scarier..

I place this in this category because I wanted to discuss How similar modern graffiti in Central and South American cities has Aztec and Mayan roots. And how many different languages are in graffiti. Not phonetic languages, but language all the same.

I think the cultural elements are just that -- culture based and not necessarily borrowed from somewhere else.

Now, in rock art, you can trace lineages of graffiti... they're called "rock art styles" and it turns out that each group has a distinct preference for depicting things like human beings and animals and favorite symbols and it's unique enough that you can tell where two territories or time periods overlap.

I'm more familiar with the Pecos art styles than other styles.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

It might seem impossible to exist not producing a "language" internally or externally.

But not only is it entirely possible; It is the actual goal of the spiritual path that is grounded in meditation.

Knowing what things are and what they are used for? There is no need for speaking or even thought... in such a manner one simply does whatever task and recognises all of those things for it.

The natives weren't making the bird or monkey noises in the Amazonian example the ignorant tourist was... the dart is more how dare you mimic the sounds of our food, mimicking our food just means to us you want to be eaten... giving rise to the old concept of headhunters... they'd rather eat the bird or monkey but finding you acting like a bird or monkey? You'll do. In that sort of ignorance maybe some of them did get a taste for human flesh; still it's not their fault either way.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I highly doubt any culture communicates in bird chirps and monkey calls to each other as their main form of communication.

Don't mean to interrupt, but may I ask why you doubt this?

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Dragon symbols are found all over the world, and some myths of them 'morph' into other cultures.

Is China the only place where the number of claws the dragon has indicates rank or power?

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   
My dad MADE me take 4 years of Spanish in high school. I hated it, as I wanted to be a machinist or a wind dummy. Eventually I embraced the chaos of it and it became part of my life. As far as the chin or chok sounds, could be. Some features are similar among certain what I would call tribes.

The people that Im referring to it seems like they have been smuggling things as part of their culture for a long time.(especially people) Hiding in plain site has had to have become almost genetic.
What else besides a curious wanderer would 'hunt' these trails? Predator wise.a reply to: strongfp

edit on 20-12-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: content

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned

Is China the only place where the number of claws the dragon has indicates rank or power?

Yes.

new topics

top topics

join