It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Things That Are No Longer Common

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I remember clothes lines seemed to be more common. So fresh, it seems to air them out better. I live in the city, makes me wonder if they're more popular in the countryside.

I hadn't thought of them in ages, but it came up the other day. Iirc dryers were more for damper seasons.

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: dffrntkndfnml
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I remember clothes lines seemed to be more common. So fresh, it seems to air them out better. I live in the city, makes me wonder if they're more popular in the countryside.

I hadn't thought of them in ages, but it came up the other day. Iirc dryers were more for damper seasons.

You brought back a funny memory from long ago.

One weekend, I surprised my mother with a an unexpected visit home from University. She was in the backyard taking the clothes down from the clothes line.

We took the clothes into the house and I helped her fold the clothes. I picked up a house dress of hers that had a bird embroidered on both pockets. It was a little heavier than I expected, and I was bit puzzled when it moved when i started to fold it.

We were both very surprised to see a little bird fly out of the pocket. It took a little while to catch it. But we caught it faster than the time we had to catch the bat in the house.

Which reminds me of youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
CD players in cars.
I remember the first car I owned with a CD player, I thought it was pretty neat compared to cassette players.

y first car came with an AM/FM 8-track player, 8 track was under the dash. I used an adapter to play cassettes in it.

Video stores.

Rhere's still one in next town over. It's on the way out, as you can either rent a movie for $3.00 or buy the movie for $5-$10. It is a local chain, last store. The clerks have been let go, the manager says they're closing in March.

My wife and I were talking that the redbox we used to occaisonally use doesn't see any business anymore.

They were on every corner.

Bakeries and corner grocers.

We've got bakeries, and butcher shops. However, for groceries, we are stuck w/ Wal Mart, or Kroger - big box stores.

Pharmacies with soda fountains.

Pharmacies not in a larger store (CVS, Walgreens, Kroger don't exist anymore. There IS a sode fountain in a touristy type pharmacy a few towns over, w/ modern prices. $$10 for a banana split!

Telephone directory assistance.

Interest on savings accounts. You know, like 4%!

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Brywilson2

I am on my out to a call so I will be away for a while, but your post stirred up some old memories.

Are you old enough to remember savings stamps?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join