It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: X-rays Signal Presence Of Elusive Intermediate-Mass Black Hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
A research team from the University of Michigan found a x-ray outburst from a black hole that indicated it had a mass the size of about 10,000 suns. This is a new class for black holes. This would make it a intermediate-mass black hole. Scientists have evidence for steller black holes which are 10 times the size of our sun and supermassive black holes which are million times the size of our sun. This new class of black holes bridges the gap in sizes of mass.

www.sciencedaily.com
A University of Michigan team's finding of peculiar x-ray outbursts coming from a black hole indicate that the object has a mass of about 10,000 suns, which would make it part of a new class of black holes.

The timing and regularity of these outbursts, observed by a team of U-M researchers at NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory, make the object one of the best candidates yet for a so-called intermediate-mass black hole.

Scientists have strong evidence for the existence of stellar black holes that are about 10 times as massive as the sun. They have also discovered that supermassive black holes with masses as large as billions of suns exist in the centers of most galaxies. Recent evidence has suggested that a new class of black holes may exist between these extremes—intermediate-mass black holes with masses equal to thousands of suns.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now we know that black holes come in all sizes from 10 times the suns mass to million times the suns mass. Does this mean that black holes grow from small masses to big masses? The mayan calander year 2012 puts earth at the ecliptic center of the universe. Does that mean we are moving closer to a black hole? Could that be why earth and other planets are under stress at this time?

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Whats on the other side of a blackhole?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by YconThe mayan calander year 2012 puts earth at the ecliptic center of the universe. Does that mean we are moving closer to a black hole? Could that be why earth and other planets are under stress at this time?

Excuse me, can you please give some kind of reasoning as to how you came up with this "prediction"? Some links to some scientific evidence that this could be the case would be nice... otherwise, to me, this is fear-mongering...

-KiwiDave

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by KiwiDave

Originally posted by YconThe mayan calander year 2012 puts earth at the ecliptic center of the universe. Does that mean we are moving closer to a black hole? Could that be why earth and other planets are under stress at this time?

Excuse me, can you please give some kind of reasoning as to how you came up with this "prediction"? Some links to some scientific evidence that this could be the case would be nice... otherwise, to me, this is fear-mongering...

-KiwiDave

It’s really a matter of weather you believe it or not. The Mayans were a very advanced civilisation which I suggest you read into before you dismiss this article. I’m sceptical also but I do believe something will happen at the end of the Mayan calendar, they knew things that is has taken our civilisation thousands of years to figure out.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
but this myan blah blah chalender
do you have a link to the whole callender?
cause i ahve never seen it
so these black holes could cover trillions of km

not cool at all

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ishes
It’s really a matter of weather you believe it or not. The Mayans were a very advanced civilisation which I suggest you read into before you dismiss this article. I’m sceptical also but I do believe something will happen at the end of the Mayan calendar, they knew things that is has taken our civilisation thousands of years to figure out.

I'm not talking about the calendar and whether it is correct or not... - I just want to know how Ycon makes the connection between this calender and a black hole gobbling us all up....

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Whoa, whoa, KiwiDave is totally in the right here.

There's a time and place for editorialising and speculating - and that's the OP/ED section. If you put something in SCI/TECH that is a valid thing, then decide to make this valid thing link to a supposed prophecy based on the idea that a people that no one really knows anything about decided to stop making their calendar?

And he's not even screaming "Wrong", he's just asking why it's here, and whether we could get some realistic support for this absolutely bizarre connection.

I'm giving him a Way Above for it.

But on the more related note - this is interesting. If the mass of a black hole is not restricted to around 10x our sun or 10 million times it, and can really be anywhere in the middle, then - could it easily be much smaller? Could a different, yet similar process of compression turn other things (pure energy, superheavy atomic clusters) into miniature black holes?

We've already had some good evidence that it can - perhaps Black Holes are instead of a 10x or 10 millionx, a full spectrum, from 0 to n, where n is an unimaginably high number.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by KiwiDave

I just want to know how Ycon makes the connection between this calender and a black hole gobbling us all up....

KiwiDave, In discussions about planet x, the idea of that being a possible reason for all the stress being put on earth, sun and all other planets in our galaxy, a friend suggested that it was a black hole that was causing it.

Black holes are mentioned in discussions of the mayan calender date 2012, but from this article it says the black hole at the center of our galaxy is inactive. www.newscientist.com...

I did not say it will gobble us up

Here's some links on 2012

www.bluehoney.org...
Our planet is on a collision course with something that we, at our present state of knowledge, don't have a word for. A black hole is simply a gravitationally massive object, so massive that no light can leave it. What I'm talking about is something like that, except that it isn't so much gravitationally massive as temporally massive. We are soon to be sucked into the body of eternity. My model points to 11:18 am, Greenwich Mean Time, December 21, 2012 AD.

www.futurehi.net...
four bright, variable X-ray sources were discovered within 3 light years of Sagittarius A* (Sgr A*). The variability suggests these are X-ray binary systems where a black hole or neutron star is pulling matter from a nearby companion star. Such a high concentration of X-ray binaries in this region is strong circumstantial evidence that a dense swarm of 10,000 or more stellar-mass black holes and neutron stars has formed around Sgr A*.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

There's a time and place for editorialising and speculating - and that's the OP/ED section. If you put something in SCI/TECH that is a valid thing, then decide to make this valid thing link to a supposed prophecy based on the idea that a people that no one really knows anything about decided to stop making their calendar?

Ok, while there is a time and aplace for this kind of writing I agree, however, there may be some truth to the Mayan calendar. Some research on you part may help out.

The Mayan calendar is done in cycles.

It doesn't end, never ends. But it goes in various cycles of different lengths, describing periods in time (like our weeks, months,years, centuries etc), right up to the largest (a Tzolkin I think) which is something like 26,000 years long, and ends in 2012.

What will happen no one knows, if anything at all, but the Mayans are not "some people that no one knows anything about" by a long shot!

And they didnt stop making it at all, it merely goes in cycles, and the current one ends soon.

Might just be a meteor shower, might be the end of the world, or it might be that it is time to change the paint on the outside of the Temple. We shall wait and see....

[edit on 28/3/05 by stumason]

new topics

top topics

join