It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vast of Night - a perfect spooktober movie.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Not to do the film injustice, but I'm going to keep the synopsis short and sweet. I think the only way to experience this is to just go in with just the barest of idea.

-Two teens in the 1950`s come across a strange transmission.

This was one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen. I'm almost physically upset that it's over. I feel like the last few decades have been void of literary devices, dialogue, and cinematography that can really move us in a meaningful way. This was a thoughtful slow burn of an indie piece, and I'll leave my reaction at that.

Do yourself a favor on a nice calm night, get your ambiance right for a nice adventure and watch this movie.

It's on Amazon Prime.
edit on 19-10-2021 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2021 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Sounds like it's up my alley, I'll check it out, thanks.

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 09:03 PM
link   

So it gets better I take it.

I put it on a couple months back and didn’t get past 10 minutes or so.

Maybe it was my mood. I’ll give it another shot. 🍻

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Sounds like it's up my alley, I'll check it out, thanks.

I think you'll really enjoy it. It's a slow burn, but it's just so refreshing to see a well done movie that has this kind of immersion.

Let me know if you can think of anything similar after watching it. I found a whole new niche of film I need to explore.

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

I could see how it isn't for everyone. As I said, it's slow to start.

Mood with these types of flicks plays a huge role... But, I think this board would appreciate it given the curious nature.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I agree. Not only was it a great flick, but I found it to be visually stunning in its simplicity and accuracy. After I watched it a few months back, I pulled out my Father's yearbook from the 50's to compare, and the pictures were exactly the same as what I was seeing on the screen. Just amazing! My only hang-up was that while watching it, I was constantly craving a cigarette lol

*For some reason, it also made me miss Art Bell. I guess it was all the radio and telephone stuff.
edit on 20-10-2021 by DreadKnock because: Addition

Additional film suggestions, if I may...

Another Earth
Leave No Trace
You Were Never Really Here
How I Live Now
Peanut Butter Falcon
Chaos Walking
Vivarium
Captain Fantastic
Safety Not Guaranteed
The Discovery
Honeyboy
edit on 20-10-2021 by DreadKnock because: Addition

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I watched it ages ago (well, maybe a couple of years). Honestly, I can't remember a darn thing about it. I do remember that the flow was nice and easy, something that I can appreciate. In an age when I can't stand most movies I see (I often don't even finish them), it's nice seeing something that does not depend on a steady drive of explosions, car chases and general mayhem.

I'll give it a second go 'round.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 04:38 AM
link   
no get Amzn prime.
wish they'd sell it on dvd.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Thank you for the suggestion. I've been slacking in my Amazon prime viewing lately. Not enough hours in a day. Will check it out.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I've seen the movie. I wasn't blown away or anything but it's a perfectly good watch on a chilly night.

Another movie I would recommend is Coherence. I believe it's also on Prime.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Has only a 66% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. And some of the audience reviews are very scathing.

Don't think I'll bother.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

To each their own, it's probably not for everyone.

As I said, it's a slow burn. I don't think the masses would appreciate a movie that focuses on plot, dialogue, and doesn't have a lot of special effects.

Look, I like some movies that are action packed and full of CGI... But sometimes I want to be enthralled by real story telling. This movie delivered on providing an escape in old fashion story telling. I'm sure many would hate that, so be forewarned.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: v3g4S

I'll have to check that out, thanks for the suggestion.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Thanks for that. Might give it a go then.

I'm not a lover of action movies, car chases, shoot outs, crash bang wallop, no thank you.

It must have a good plot, a good story.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Without going too far into the horror underground , unless that is your thing then I will, here are a few other atmospheric type horror films you may or may not like.

I am not going to give my thoughts on any of them because so much about what folks like in music , books or movies is subjective . I will however say I have watched all of them at least once and sometimes multiple times. What I will add is just a few words after each to give an idea on what the film is about.

For the most part these stay away from outright gore since not everyone likes that.

The Wailing ( Korean, 2.5 hours, supernatural)
The House That Jack Built (It's a Lars Von Trier film so if you know his other works you know what to expect, sort of. Serial killer)
Kill List (about a hitman , maybe? )
The Witch (supernatural)
It Follows (supernatural)
It Comes At Night (something)
The Endless (Independently made film, inspired by Lovecraft, character driven)

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

No judgment if you don't like it either.

It's an artsy indie piece...

But sometimes when there's a good story, believable characters, and good music and cinematography, less is more for me.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Thanks for the list. I've been yearning for solid content. Those will be perfect for spooktober.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Watched it last night and I enjoyed the film, very well done in all aspects particularly the acting and cinematography.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The music did a good job of setting the mood too.

It was only like a 700k film, so it was never meant to be earth shattering... But it goes to show people really trying to make art can do a lot with a little. Definitely exciting to see.

new topics

top topics

join