It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orbital - The Box

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2021 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Orbital - 'The Box'

Paul Hartnoll told the NME that the song was based on a recurring dream he had about the discovery of a mysterious wooden box in the Welsh countryside, but that he would always wake up just at the point he was opening the box, so he never found out what was inside it. Wiki

The Official Video is good & would be a good starting point, but for the best listening experience, I would advise the Full Complete version of the song (consisting of 5 parts... The 2nd Video↓). The Official Video is the same version as the radio edit single, but it is actually Part 2 of the song.

About the video:

The stop-motion promotional video for "The Box" stars actress Tilda Swinton as "The Traveler", a person (or an alien) unstuck from time. The Traveler phases into existence, witnesses human life in public transit and traffic, as well as its effects on nature, seen through detritus in a river and a plant sapling growing through a brick wall. They return to their origin point, giving one final sad glance backwards before disappearing. Wiki

Orbital - 'The Box' (Full Official Video with Credits)

This is detailed below, but I'll attempt to simplify it first: There are 2 versions of the song. The Album Version consists of 2 parts. The Single Version is 4 parts. However, the Single Version does not have Part 1 from the Album. So this is Parts 1 & 2 from the Album, followed by Parts 2, 3, & 4 from the Single.

Orbital - 'The Box' (FULL and COMPLETE)

Part 1 = 00:00 [album version part 1]
Part 2 = 06:40 [album version part 2]
Part 3 = 13:08 [single version part 2]
Part 4 = 20:05 [single version part 3]
Part 5 = 28:42 [single version part 4]
...(5 is the only Part with any vocals)

This is the info from the Youtube Uploader:

"The Box" is a single by the British electronica duo Orbital from their 1996 album 'In Sides'. The album version contained the track in two parts. It was also released as a CD Single containing four parts. Part One on the CD single was simply a radio edit of Part Two from 'In Sides', shortened by a minute and a forty six seconds. For some reason, Part One from 'In Sides' was not included. To my knowledge, a full and complete version of The Box containing all five parts (some consider Part Two from 'In Sides' and Part One from the CD single to be two different parts, but I don't) in one release. Other uploads claiming to be the full version are limited to the CD single version and lack Part One.

This version of The Box (which I consider to be FULL and COMPLETE) was created by combining Part One and Part Two from 'In Sides' and Parts Two, Three, and Four from the CD single (making them Parts Three, Four, and Five in reality). The images are from the 'In Sides' and The Box cover art as well as still images from The Box music video starring Tilda Swinton. Part Five is the only one to contain lyrics, and they are included as well. Vocals are provided by Grant Fulton and Alison Goldfrapp. I have never found an explanation for them and have no idea what they mean.

This Live version is Part 2

Orbital - The Box - Bluedot Festival 2017

I first heard 'The Box' on a 'MTV Amp' compilation CD, which I bought in the late 90s because Aphex Twin's 'Girl/Boy Song' was on it. At the time, I had no idea I was only listening to Part 2 of The Box. It was many years later before I heard the other parts.

Anyways, just for the hell of it...

Aphex Twin - Girl/Boy Song

I am very aware that the idea of a 36 minute (mostly) instrumental song may not sound too promising, but give it a chance, let it grow on you, and you may be pleasantly surprised. It's a great song.....
edit on 7/31/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2021 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I love Orbital, I have their first album on vinyl which has some all time classic tunes on it, including the timeless Chimes and my personal favourite Belfast

Orbital (1991 album)

I have The Kraftwerk album also on vinyl which includes another lengthy track Trans Europe Express which is over 25mins long

nothing like sitting back and chilling with headphones on and losing yourself to this style of music, thanks for the Video of The Box

edit

as for Aphex Twin, my first exposure was the barn storming Digeridoo

edit on 000000p3108America/Chicago731202167 by UpThenDown because: aphex twin

posted on Jul, 31 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Love Orbital.

Remember this at dawn back in the day? 4.30am on a warm July morning? House full of ppeople dancing, loving, have the time of their lives. Aaaaaahhhhh....

Orbital - 'Belfast' The best version, no lyrics. 8 minutes of bliss.

I grew up on Aphex Twin. Loved his 'Druqs' album.

Aphex Twin - 'Nannou' - this is on the 'Windowlicker' cd

edit on 31/7/21 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles
Orbital - 'The Box'

Paul Hartnoll told the NME that the song was based on a recurring dream he had about the discovery of a mysterious wooden box in the Welsh countryside, but that he would always wake up just at the point he was opening the box, so he never found out what was inside it. Wiki

The Official Video is good & would be a good starting point, but for the best listening experience, I would advise the Full Complete version of the song (consisting of 5 parts... The 2nd Video↓). The Official Video is the same version as the radio edit single, but it is actually Part 2 of the song.

About the video:

The stop-motion promotional video for "The Box" stars actress Tilda Swinton as "The Traveler", a person (or an alien) unstuck from time. The Traveler phases into existence, witnesses human life in public transit and traffic, as well as its effects on nature, seen through detritus in a river and a plant sapling growing through a brick wall. They return to their origin point, giving one final sad glance backwards before disappearing. Wiki

Orbital - 'The Box' (Full Official Video with Credits)

This is detailed below, but I'll attempt to simplify it first: There are 2 versions of the song. The Album Version consists of 2 parts. The Single Version is 4 parts. However, the Single Version does not have Part 1 from the Album. So this is Parts 1 & 2 from the Album, followed by Parts 2, 3, & 4 from the Single.

Orbital - 'The Box' (FULL and COMPLETE)

Part 1 = 00:00 [album version part 1]
Part 2 = 06:40 [album version part 2]
Part 3 = 13:08 [single version part 2]
Part 4 = 20:05 [single version part 3]
Part 5 = 28:42 [single version part 4]
...(5 is the only Part with any vocals)

This is the info from the Youtube Uploader:

"The Box" is a single by the British electronica duo Orbital from their 1996 album 'In Sides'. The album version contained the track in two parts. It was also released as a CD Single containing four parts. Part One on the CD single was simply a radio edit of Part Two from 'In Sides', shortened by a minute and a forty six seconds. For some reason, Part One from 'In Sides' was not included. To my knowledge, a full and complete version of The Box containing all five parts (some consider Part Two from 'In Sides' and Part One from the CD single to be two different parts, but I don't) in one release. Other uploads claiming to be the full version are limited to the CD single version and lack Part One.

This version of The Box (which I consider to be FULL and COMPLETE) was created by combining Part One and Part Two from 'In Sides' and Parts Two, Three, and Four from the CD single (making them Parts Three, Four, and Five in reality). The images are from the 'In Sides' and The Box cover art as well as still images from The Box music video starring Tilda Swinton. Part Five is the only one to contain lyrics, and they are included as well. Vocals are provided by Grant Fulton and Alison Goldfrapp. I have never found an explanation for them and have no idea what they mean.

This Live version is Part 2

Orbital - The Box - Bluedot Festival 2017

I first heard 'The Box' on a 'MTV Amp' compilation CD, which I bought in the late 90s because Aphex Twin's 'Girl/Boy Song' was on it. At the time, I had no idea I was only listening to Part 2 of The Box. It was many years later before I heard the other parts.

Anyways, just for the hell of it...

Aphex Twin - Girl/Boy Song

I am very aware that the idea of a 36 minute (mostly) instrumental song may not sound too promising, but give it a chance, let it grow on you, and you may be pleasantly surprised. It's a great song.....

So weird, I was listening to this just yesterday on my way home from work. Takes me back to my teen years.

posted on Jul, 31 2021 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Did you ever see them live?

Back in the old days I used to get a bit annoyed by PAs because I used to prefer a good DJ performance.
I kind of lost track of some of them but N-Joi were pretty good, Shades of Rhythm stood out and Love Decade and Altern8 also were worth watching and I saw The Progidy a few times before they got big.

The reason I mentioned that is because I went to a Shamen gig in Brixton, October 1991 and wasn't expecting it to be that great but they played with Orbital, Meat Beat Manifesto and A Homeboy A Hippy and A Funky Dread.
Orbital were absolutely brilliant and Meat Beat.
They played stuff that I've never heard since on any of their releases and seemed to be just freestyling as they went. Really pounding stuff.

By the time the Shamen came on things eased up a bit and the atmosphere changed but I'll always look back at that gig as the one that taught me not to dismiss a live act on the rave scene.

As for Aphex Twin..... I still can't do video with this phone but I've got two copies of Quoth which are fun to play tricks with when mixing and it's one of my favourites....but Didgeridoo was the killer when it first used to get played in the clubs and my copy is butchered.
edit on 3172021 by Tulpa because: Spilling

posted on Aug, 1 2021 @ 08:55 AM
link   
That should say Prodigy, by the way.....up there.
Too late to edit, unfortunately, but I think I mucked up because the Shamen gig was a Progeny one. They used to be Synergy before that. Apologies for any confusion.

posted on Aug, 1 2021 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

I didn't even realize you misspelled it until you pointed it out.
I read it as 'Prodigy'

but no, I've never seen them live. I've never actually seen any electronic acts live, aside from some I had never heard of before, various opening acts for Industrial bands like Pigface, Skinny Puppy, NIИ, etc.. Southern Indiana isn't exactly a top destination for big electronic acts/festivals.

posted on Aug, 1 2021 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I grew up going to gigs and festivals. Lost count of the bands I've seen. Rock, punk, ska, reggae....by the time the rave scene crossed paths with the free festival scene and I found the rave tent I was hooked.

Quite a few times the support act can blow the headline band away like Orbital did with the Shamen.
I saw Ozric Tentacles with Eat Static supporting them and Eat Static were amazing. Black Uhuru made The Rolling Stones look like boring old men. The Orb on record were quite mellow and ambient dance but live they were absolutely solid pounding techno. Totally unexpected.

I still prefer DJs, though....Jeff Mills, Joey Beltram, Lake Slater, Claude Young, Sven Vath , C.J..Bolland, etc....

and now I feel old again.

join