It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this huge structure inside a Moon crater? [Video footage]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I present some backyard footage taken with a Celestron AstroMaster 130 + iPhone 11.

In the footage you can see the southern hemisphere of the Moon and a large crater with something large inside it reflecting light and creating a shadow on the rim. I tried to look through topographic maps but did not find anything in correspondense.

Is this a crater peak? Or…

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: OnWhiteMars

Wow that's strange. Id love to hear some amateur astronomers opinions.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Could it be the remains of the meteor that caused the crater?

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

Could it be the remains of the meteor that caused the crater?

Big mound of meteor mate.

I wonder at the colour of it.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Looks to me like a shadow of the central peak.

If you look slightly to the left you can see the tip of the peak is in sunlight.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Scoresby crater ?

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

I'd hazard a guess that this is Moretus.

Apparently well know for its central peak.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkstar2

Yep, Moretus and it's central peak. Here it is shown next to a still from the video:

en.wikipedia.org...(crater)

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
You can also see the central peak in this photo I took last week:

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   
As others have mentioned, it's a mountain inside the crater.

Craters, especially large ones, often have what is called a central uplift mountain in the center. It's from the land rebounding during the impact event that created the crater. At the moment of impact, the high energies involved make the rocky crust act like a plastic ("plastic" as in pliable and ductile).

It is something like the rebound in the middle of dripping water:

edit on 6/29/2021 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Moretus - A mosaic courtesy of Google Moon.

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
Craters, especially large ones, often have what is called a central uplift mountain in the center. It's from the land rebounding during the impact event that created the crater. At the moment of impact, the high energies involved make the rocky crust act like a plastic ("plastic" as in pliable and ductile).

Interestingly, the size range for craters having a central peak is surprisingly tight. Although there are exceptions, we generally only see central peaks in craters 30 - 70 miles from rim to rim. Below that, the heat of the impact is dissipated by the blast, leaving a bowl-shaped crater. Above that the impact melt stays hot enough long enough to melt the central peak like an ice cube in water, leaving large, flat-bottomed craters.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   
That last pic looks a lot like an electric arc did the job.

a reply to: Saint Exupery

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

Looks like representative examples of impact phenomenon, as explained in my post.

How would you differentiate between impact effects and electric arc effects?
Be specific.

Impact events and their results have been observed for a long time. The mechanism (objects colliding at high speed) is simple, common, measured, reproducible and well-understood.

Super-powerful electric arc phenomenon capable producing craters with raised rims miles deep and tens of miles across have never been observed, and there is no known mechanism for generating such arcs based on the information we have gathered about the space environment over the last 60+ years. There is no support for the idea other than "it looks like it" even though geologists and physicists can explain in detail all of the features that indicate an impact origin.
edit on 2-7-2021 by Saint Exupery because: (no reason given)

top topics

join