It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TOP GUN 1980's

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: Trueman

I was like 5 when this movie came out so I would say it is just funny/disappointing to notice as an adult

and I knew the 1980 Russians, we still practiced hiding under our desks in 2nd grade, hiding from Russian MIRV's

Wow, you're a young'n... I was 7 when it came out and I still call Russian fighter jets, Mig 28's. Lol

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

They gave a showing of it on the television network on the Enterprise. When we relieved her in June of 86 they sent a couple copies over to us. I was in my 20's then.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018
WOW I feel old.Think I was 15.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I cant believe they let them do all that, Tom is known for doing his own stunts and I would be surprised if they didn't do a quick safety class with him

I wonder if Tom had a knife on him to cut himself or the other diver free.

qas far a the whole death from ejecting seemed suspect, I think the top of the seat would break the glass.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'll have to dig through my pics. I have a few of MiG-28s at Fallon somewhere.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I cant believe they let them do all that, Tom is known for doing his own stunts and I would be surprised if they didn't do a quick safety class with him

qas far a the whole death from ejecting seemed suspect, I think the top of the seat would break the glass.

i couldnt edit my last post but i know in F-16's when you punch out the seat will retract your harness so your tight in the seat before it shoots you out.

even if you fliped face first the seat would hit the plexi before your head/neck

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
I'll have to dig through my pics. I have a few of MiG-28s at Fallon somewhere.

Ummm?

🤔

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

You aren't old.
Trust me.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:15 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Very niceđź‘Ť

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:31 PM
link   
If there is one fighter jet I could choose to fly FIRST after a Talon, it'd be the Tiger.

I've always loved that jet in terms of it's manageable practicality. I've always imagined it'd be a perfect step up from a T-38.

Yet, after T-38's some pilots jump right to 15's and 22's!

Well, nowadays I have no idea WHAT they are training with down in Wichita Falls, or if that training wing even exists.

Anyways, the F5 doesn't get the love it deserves, IMO.

It's a sleek, capable jet with a beautiful profile and lovely lines. Is it a top performer? No. So what?

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Sheppard flies T-38Cs, and T-6As. They have one AFRC unit that trains instructor pilots, and five UPT squadrons. It's also home to the ENJJPT Program.

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 10:04 AM
link   

There is no quick "safety class" for that. They wanted the chute in the scene and Cruise wanted to do it. They wanted the Coast Guard helicopter in the movie, but, once their rescue swimmers saw that he was going to be hooked to a chute they said "Hell no!".

You NEVER cut a shroud line. You pick the lines off one by one. Once you start cutting, they will tangle and be impossible to remove. There is a reason why we practiced this in a specially equipped swimming pool. 85% of the time the chute separates clean, but, you never know.

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 10:17 AM
link   

when I got to buy a ride in a MiG they ran me trough what I would call a quick safety class

as far as the knife, I would rather have that than nothing to cut tangled lines*not nessasarly in that water either) but i understand what you are saying about a quick class on it but if Tom wanted to do his own stunt you think they would make him do a few runs in that pool with the moveable floor, clearly TOP GUN was military sponsored so they would have access to that pool and instructors.

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

I'm not saying that they didn't give him a class. What I'm saying is that when they filmed the scene the chute filled and almost took Cruise down with it. I'm saying that in my opinion it was stupid to do it that way.

When they took Cruise up for an orientation ride, he decorated the inside of the airplane with his lunch. On the other hand they couldn't get Anthony Edwards to stop laughing during his ride.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 08:02 PM
link   

www.instagram.com...

www.instagram.com...
edit on 6-4-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   

i would be more than likely be like Anthony Edwards myself, that being said those guys can make you puke if they want,i would love to see the flight data for their rides/

Tom is a small man, shockingly so and i know that doesn't really equate to strength but i don't think i would want to jump into the ocean with tom cruise hooked to a sinking shoot, i picture alot of trashing and borderline panic so maybe best if he didn't have a knife.

i guess i never really thought about how much weight a para shoot would hold if it was open upside down under water, you would almost have to get out of the harness before anyone could lift you out.

Did you see the second one? i haven't seen it yet. I don't want to damage the mental love for TOP GUN that i have by watching a crappy sequel

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

If you want to see a good Navy movie, see The Final Countdown. I saw it in high school and never expected to meet so many people who were in it. Now I watch it to see who I recognize.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Greatest Navy movie ever. It was a blast to listen to the guys talking about trying to "fight" against the SNJs.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 10:53 AM
link   

In the scene where the Tomcat dives under the "Zero" they almost lost the Tomcat. He went too low and almost hit the water. I read the safety incident report on that one. The Aircrewman that introduces himself to Martin Sheen at the beginning, I was an usher at his wedding in 85. We shared a hangar with HS-9 at NAS Jax. SH-3's were a small community.
edit on 7-4-2021 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join