It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be Kind

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

My grandma was a little old gal. Always busy in her small kitchen. It was only large enough for one small table and three chairs. It had a slanted roof that was fine for her but me at six foot four as a teen I had to bend over before I tried to sit at her table.

As a high schooler I would help around her yard, mowing and weeding and stuff and she loved to get all excited about fixing me the biggest and bestest cheese burgers she could fix. It was quite a ritual. I knew at the time that she really did not need my help but just wanted to have me around.

A couple of years ago after my mom passed, I found an old box in the rafters of her garage. In the bottom of the box I found a small cardboard box with a string tied around it. I wondered if I had looked inside of it for momentos as I had been busy for two months clearing up her estate. But the string told me that I had not as I would not have retied the string had I already opened it.

Inside was the trove. PIctures of my ''meme'' not one of my siblings or anyone had ever seen. I recognized first a picture of her as a middle aged woman and then as a young woman. She was striking. Then I found a panoramic photo of a large family, all dressed up and posing. Large in that there were thirteen children from about eight years up into the twenties. There sitting on an end was my twelve year old grandma.
Deeper in the box I found a picture of her as a baby. I also found pictures of her mother as an old woman, a young woman and craziest of all I found a picture of my great grandmother as a little girl posing with her brother and my great great grandmother as a young mother herself.

My ''meme'' was born in 1900 so I make it that my great grandmother might have been around 35 which would put her being born around 1865 so that oldest photo must have been taken around 1870. What a hoot huh?

This morning I was up doing dishes when my visiting three year old great grand daughter came running into the kitchen wanting to have me play with her with this little automatic flying saucer drone I keep around as GGPas ''s special toy. I watch my wife fixing for the grand kids and great grand kids and it brings back so many memories of my ''meme'' . My wifes specialty is her famous popcorn that is the highlight of all the visits. Grandmas, gotta love em.

posted on Mar, 21 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Thanks for sharing that. It's nice to have a diversion from all the politics and general insanity.
Those old photos you found..wow! Like finding treasure.

I have some fond memories of my grandma too. She was always baking, so cookies were plentiful.
I would love to be able to go back in time for a day ot two!

posted on Mar, 22 2021 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Thank you for sharing that story with us! That was really heart-warming

Family is such a beautiful thing

posted on Mar, 22 2021 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join