It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purina Canned Cat Food Shortage

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   
/ shrug

I just bought somewhere in the neighborhood of several dozen cans of various brands of good quality stuff to stock up for a few months, so I've seen plenty of brands in the isles looking for specific types lately.

And yes, we're enslaved, the cats mind-wiped & brainwashed us while still kittens. Dastardly little #s.

Anyway, plenty of Purina in Michigan, at least no shortage at any of the stores I shop at in MI thus far. I had no idea there even was a shortage.

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: tattooedlunchlady

I just checked Chewy, and they do have the big packs of 48 portions. If my husband hadn't just bought a big pack of cans, we'd stock up on some. I'll keep it in mind when we next need to start looking. Thanks for the tip!

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
a reply to: schuyler

You have to make sure you get some organ meat in there, liver and kidney and such. Cats need taurine. They don't produce it naturally. Without it they go blind over time. It's added to canned and dry food. Most organ meat and other offal contains it. Wild cats and such, they eat most of the parts of the things they kill for a reason.

I have taurine pills in stock. I need a little supplement too, taurine becomes bio-unavailable if you cook meat too much, and the wife likes all meat overcooked. So since I am not that fond of eating pickled herring and other snacks like that continually, I take a sublement, and also give it to the cats. If the taurine is heated with the cat food before canning or pressing into the food, it binds to tight to be usabale for the cat. We have a blind cat, probably blind because it's mother did not get taurine in it's diet and he was the runt. The vets diagnoses pointed at taurine deficiency originally, and the conjestive heart failure it has always seemed to have had kind of confirms it. I take care of his treatment, doing lots of research to pick a treatment. For being blind, when he is feeling good, he sure gets into everything.

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 11:21 PM
link   

edit on 27-2-2021 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2021 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Plenty for the Friskies 48 and 60 pack cans at Sams Club online as well.

posted on Feb, 28 2021 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: Caver78

Purina Canned Cat Food Shortage

They can't find enough migrants to harvest. It's left rotting in the field.

posted on Feb, 28 2021 @ 03:37 AM
link   
THEY LOST THEIR SOURCE OF FREE MEAT WHEN THE UNDERGROUND BUNKERS WERE CLOSED DOWN AND THE HUMAN TRAFFICKING WAS SLOWED.

The prices were never sustainable...once the free meat disappeared the free-ride did to.

posted on Feb, 28 2021 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
/ shrug

I just bought somewhere in the neighborhood of several dozen cans of various brands of good quality stuff to stock up for a few months, so I've seen plenty of brands in the isles looking for specific types lately.

And yes, we're enslaved, the cats mind-wiped & brainwashed us while still kittens. Dastardly little #s.

Anyway, plenty of Purina in Michigan, at least no shortage at any of the stores I shop at in MI thus far. I had no idea there even was a shortage.

Reply to Nyiah:

But willingly enslaved, apparently, when you think of the things we do for them. I wouldn't have it any other way though, would you?

I'm in Michigan also, at the tip of the mitt. When I was at Walmart the canned cat food shelves had a lot of empty spaces. Some of the kinds I usually buy were completely gone. (Like Fancy Feast Fish & Shrimp). Chewy was out of that one too.
edit on 28-2-2021 by tattooedlunchlady because: Didn't do it right

posted on Feb, 28 2021 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Just keep in mind though, the shortage is expected to last through the summer at least. And as more people become aware of it, I suppose it will get worse.

posted on Feb, 28 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: blueman12
Cats are evil.

True.

Our resident cat lover. Lol

Stull one of the best stories on ATS

posted on Feb, 28 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: tattooedlunchlady

I haven't seen any issues with the boutique brands (small batch, made in USA), and since we don't free feed as our old lady has a serious weight problem, I think we'll survive.

We've been feeding Taste of the Wild for kibble and Primal for the freeze-dried.

Our guys love this stuff. And it's made in-state even.

Supplement with this. It's made in California.

So they're getting poultry, rabbit, and with the Sheba we get the fish flavors. We do vary the Primal, but they seem to notice when do and sometimes get put off by the change in flavor/texture.

And while the kibble and freeze-dried aren't cheap, portion feeding let's us control the amount they eat so it doesn't seem like we go through it as fast, and with US based companies, they have local supply chains. So they should be able to keep on keeping if they've been able to up til now.
edit on 28-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join