It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voter ID Cards

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

Your comment isn't saying anything that makes sense. At no point did I say anything about 'no ID'.

You need additional ID to use a credit card in the US if and only if the authorization method is a signature. This method is trivial to defeat. If you have a direct example that contradicts that statement please explain it to me - is it transaction value based or for age restricted or other controlled goods? Exactly what circumstances trigger the requirement for such ID.

I am sure that the VISA and Mastercard transaction networks (and what ever other transaction networks are running in the USA at the moment) are perfectly happy with PIN authorization. The only technical drawback would be the transaction processing hardware physically deployed in the merchant. There is also the customer 'inertia' for accepting the PIN only method - that goes away very quickly. So at that point the only reason for ID is for purchases of age restricted items like booze and cigarettes.

And before you choose to 'blame' my opinion on my Australian residence, please be aware that I am American and return to the USA every 12 to 18 months or so, and use my Australian bank issued credit cards all over the country and have NEVER been asked for ID to use it - not once - even when I needed to sign for it in Salt Lake City because they had an obsolete transaction terminal (I was asked for ID when I bought a SIM card in Chicago, but not because of the credit card).
edit on 26/12/2020 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2021 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

Caught ya!

You are turning your own mind
into a pretzel trying to figure it out.

Does that make sense now?

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join