It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secession of states from The Union post-2020 Presidential Election?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
Only if Trump wins in fact they have already said as much if Trump wins the west coast states will secede the left simply can’t handle the right winning

Even when bush won they tried everything to make him “illegitimate “

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: sprockets2000
a reply to: Freeborn
Only if Trump wins in fact they have already said as much if Trump wins the west coast states will secede the left simply can’t handle the right winning

Even when bush won they tried everything to make him “illegitimate “

As usual you are wrong and accusing people of things only u do.

Remember when Texas tried to secede when Obama was president because the right couldn't handle the left winning? Please give us an example of a Dem state threating to secede?

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
I authored this thread back in November 2016 two days after Trump's victory in the last US Presidential election.

Basically I was asking if there was any chance of any states seceding from the Union in light of the very acrimonious election campaign.

(snip)
And secondly: what happens when this upcoming election - well, as long as Trump doesn't get to 'delay' the vote - rips the US even further apart? What happens post-2020 election, will the states be even further distant from each other and is there a possibility that there will be a move towards a break up of the USA?

It's a non-starter, IMHO.

Every year (since forever) there have been groups wanting this state or that state to secede. Lately the one most often in the news is Texas. However, in spite of whatever might be made of it by the media, actual support by the citizens of that state is almost zero.

And I can say this from direct experience. When I worked for the local city government, one of the more active branches of the Texas Secessionist movement was located in our city. There was one or two demonstrations (thinly attended) and a "statewide convention" of the group and in spite of that, most people were unaware of them and the most common reaction to it was that it was a load of nonsense.

My vote is that it's a "non-starter" this time, no matter who wins this very highly charged election -- and frankly, it would be a stupid move for any state. You'd lose all the political and economic clout of the US in one blow and you would lose all the trade agreements and so forth. Your borders would be closed and you'd need passports to cross state lines (try that in Rhode Island or cities that sprawl across two state lines -- Texarkana, for an example close to me.)

it'd make the Brexit mess look like a dress parade.

posted on Aug, 12 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Why will the problem states not secede? Because they are broke and depend on the Federal Government to survive, launder and funnel funds.

Now, a few states separating to create new states like North California or split NY from State, sure, but then it would ensure and break the electorate for the Progressives so they never will.

edit on Augpm31pmf0000002020-08-12T12:22:32-05:001232 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It won't happen. The Right could never live with Trump being recorded in history as the President that ended the United States.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join