It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flag Burning and Freedom of Speech

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It's free speech, so why isn't a confederate flag free speech? It is also very apparent that the left thinks that ripping flags out of peoples hands (stealing flags from people) is free speech.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77
It's free speech, so why isn't a confederate flag free speech? It is also very apparent that the left thinks that ripping flags out of peoples hands (stealing flags from people) is free speech.

They're basically hypocrites.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Where's your anger towards the people that have turned the flag into a clothing item or fashion accessory? You know, things that are actually against the Flag Code.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Where's your anger towards the people that have turned the flag into a clothing item or fashion accessory? You know, things that are actually against the Flag Code.

Most clothing made to look like the flag pattern are not true American flags. If they use an actual flag, technically that would be desecration of the flag, but still free speech and not a crime.
edit on 24-6-2020 by panoz77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

(i)The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j)No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   

(i)The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j)No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

And? It is still protected under free speech. Not all free speech is good speech. The intent of wearing a flag hat vs the intent of burning a flag, the "speech" that is being portrayed are very different but both are protected.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Exactly. I was calling out a user that was saying that anyone caught burning the flag should be sentenced to 10 years in prison. I was wondering why they thought something that isn't even against the Flag Code should be punishable with prison but they remain silent on the desecrations that occur on a daily basis in the name of patriotism.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I don't care, according to Texas v. Johnson, light that sucker up too.

Burn a nazi flag. Burn a pride flag. Burn a POW flag.
Flag lives don't matter.

Let me draw a circle, now your parents send you to school for 12 years and at school they make you stand for the circle everyday in cult like fashion as teachers make you pledge allegiance to it.

Then one day somebody takes that circle and crumples it up.

If your reaction is to protect that circle, congratulations, you have been indoctrinated.

Now that you're 18+, we gotta tell you something. The circle is in danger and we need you to protect it. Now go die in a foreign country.

You can't destroy a symbol as much as you can destroy an idea. And this topic is a symptom of our failures as human beings, we cherish material goods over values.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psilocyborg
a reply to: JinMI

I don't care, according to Texas v. Johnson, light that sucker up too.

Burn a nazi flag. Burn a pride flag. Burn a POW flag.
Flag lives don't matter.

Let me draw a circle, now your parents send you to school for 12 years and at school they make you stand for the circle everyday in cult like fashion as teachers make you pledge allegiance to it.

Then one day somebody takes that circle and crumples it up.

If your reaction is to protect that circle, congratulations, you have been indoctrinated.

Now that you're 18+, we gotta tell you something. The circle is in danger and we need you to protect it. Now go die in a foreign country.

You can't destroy a symbol as much as you can destroy an idea. And this topic is a symptom of our failures as human beings, we cherish material goods over values.

That's where you are wrong, burning a gay pride flag, black power flag is hate speech, go directly to jail, do not pass go. Oh, and ropes tied in loops are now hate speech too, lol
edit on 24-6-2020 by panoz77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The flag known as the Stars and Stripes IS a symbol of the US. Go a to any country in the world and ask them what the flag means. It is the same with any countries flags, it is synonymous of that country.
So to burn a flag publicly is not only an insult to that country but you send the message that you hate the country.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Why would I be angry about someone wrapping themselves in, or adorning themselves with, a likeness of the U.S. Flag?

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Because according to the Flag Code those actions are disrespectful. Burning it on the other hand, is not against the Flag Code.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Psilocyborg

It is free speech and should be allowed.

Same with putting up statues people may find offensive.

Too bad many people don't actually practice what they preach.

Personally I find that the hypocrisy of both major parties and most adherents to be vile. I dont think Confederate statues should be toppled.

Let people know about our F'd up history and learn from it. Burning a flag? I served and swore an oath to protect and defend the constitution. I took it seriously when I enlisted 30 years ago and still do. It's entirely legal to burn a flag and while I wouldn't, I also wouldnt stop someone else. The thing about free speech is you have.to accept speech that you dislike as much as what you agree with.

Once we start splitting hairs on issies like this" the 1st Amendment will go the way of tge 2nd...legislated into a farce of an amendment that bears little resemblance to what people like George Mason fought to include in the COTUS.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Michelle Obama hated the U.S. Flag, even though it's nothing more than a section of cloth material. People are "triggered" in different ways.

WOW

And she being the first lady for eight years......that couldn't be more disrespectful

top topics

<< 1   >>

join