It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 21, 2020 New England Journal of Medicine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   
You can only get the corona virus from someone who has the disease and is symptomatic.
The MSM, governors, paid cable news doctors, CDC and other scientists have and continue to scare the public by telling us you can have the disease and not know it and pass it to others without knowing...killing grandma. What a terrifying idea that is, only it is not true.
This should be the lead story in any Covid-19 coverage...but it's not and I don't expect it to be.
We are being guided, not by science but by misinformation designed to stoke fear. The amount of misinformation spread by the CDC and doctors on cable news channels is remarkable. The problem is who do we trust? Who is lying and who were honestly wrong and where are the experts?
It seems like we are being guided through this global pandemic by interns. Why do experts like Dr, Fauci say one thing one day and the complete opposite the next day? The average age of those dying from this disease is @80 years old.... this response is the biggest scam and absolute embarrassment for government and science. Their failures during this pandemic a lengthy and deadly.

Next up, Climate change, the experts say we will all die in 12 years unless we pay them trillions.

www.nejm.org...

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: fringeofthefringe
You can only get the corona virus from someone who has the disease and is symptomatic.

Not so sure if that is correct,
There seems to be confusing mixture in the interpretation of what is being said.

Perhaps the expressions being used, like, "significant Exposure" need more clarity.
Then look at, 'Asymptomatic exposure'.
Most TV news is aware of these aspects.
I hope this helps.
edit on 28-5-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
You make fair point, I still believe the risk of asymptomatic exposure has been grossly overstated. After all we have to be reasonable when we discuss the risks, there is always a risk but the likeliness is very low and not considered significant.

originally posted by: smurfy

Not so sure if that is correct,
There seems to be confusing mixture in the interpretation of what is being said.

Perhaps the expressions being used, like, "significant Exposure" need more clarity.
Then look at, 'Asymptomatic exposure'.
Most TV news is aware of these aspects.
I hope this helps.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   

The MSM, governors, paid cable news doctors, CDC and other scientists have and continue to scare the public by telling us you can have the disease and not know it and pass it to others without knowing...killing grandma. What a terrifying idea that is, only it is not true.
This should be the lead story in any Covid-19 coverage...but it's not and I don't expect it to be.
We are being guided, not by science but by misinformation designed to stoke fear. The amount of misinformation spread by the CDC and doctors on cable news channels is remarkable. The problem is who do we trust? Who is lying and who were honestly wrong and where are the experts?
It seems like we are being guided through this global pandemic by interns. Why do experts like Dr, Fauci say one thing one day and the complete opposite the next day? The average age of those dying from this disease is @80 years old.... this response is the biggest scam and absolute embarrassment for government and science. Their failures during this pandemic a lengthy and deadly.

Next up, Climate change, the experts say we will all die in 12 years unless we pay them trillions.

www.nejm.org...

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

I guess you didn’t read the part where the article says:

“Transmission from people with asymptomatic infection has been well documented, although it is unclear to what extent such transmission contributes to the overall spread of infection.”

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I did read it and I replied above to that point, the statistical relevance of asymptomatic transmission is very low and the opposite of the way it was reported. There are always risks in everything it just never rose to the levels as reported, it was a good scare tactic to keep the country locked down.
You have made a good point but I still believe it was not reported correctly, the asymptomatic exposure was overstated.

originally posted by: 1947boomer

www.nejm.org...

I guess you didn’t read the part where the article says:

“Transmission from people with asymptomatic infection has been well documented, although it is unclear to what extent such transmission contributes to the overall spread of infection.”

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: fringeofthefringe

Doesn't this hinge on what your particular set of symptoms are tho?

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I think they've decided that you are far less likely to catch it from someone who is asymptomatic and most cases are asymptomatic.

There was a statistical analysis that figured that in China at least, most of the cases were asymptomatic and rates of transmission from those cases was much lower, but there were so many of them that their numbers made up for the lower rates of transmission.

If it takes 5 exposures to asymptomatic people on average to catch it and only one exposure to a symptomatic case ... there would easily be enough of those asymptomatic cases running around to keep pace with the symptomatic cases in infection rates even though the infection rate was lower. (That last was hypothetical; I don't know the actual numbers, but it was to illustrate what I was trying to say.)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I think most people have been/are under the impression that asymptomatic transmission is a significant issue and according to the New England Journal of Medicine it is not. I mean you can potentially get it from surface contact but that is very unlikely as well. As always during flu season and a global pandemic wash your hands often and do not touch your face.
The risk and transmission has been overstated and everyday we learn that what we were told last week isn't exactly right, this is another example of that. most people, because of bad journalism and bad science, are full of misinformation regarding the corona virus and this is another instance.
That is what I took from the report and what I have seen and learned to date.

a reply to: ketsuko,Identified

edit on 28-5-2020 by fringeofthefringe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   

You make fair point, I still believe the risk of asymptomatic exposure has been grossly overstated. After all we have to be reasonable when we discuss the risks, there is always a risk but the likeliness is very low and not considered significant.

How low, nobody is specific, however if you consider that coronavirus studies, (an international study BTW..including all the big players) that occurred in Wuhan in 2015/2016 involving the use of horseshoe bats, needed to include the virus lying dormant in humans for some time..that is a given, it is also very much a crucial question as to the nature of those studies, and crucial as to the nature of how the virus jumped to humans, and I dare say, exactly what is it's actual conception.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Next up, Climate change, the experts say we will all die

How did you know ...

Clim ate Change should be recorded as a cause of death

Climate change is the single greatest health threat that we face globally even after we recover from coronavirus.

Phenomena can be exacerbated by climate change - We must acknowledge it on death certificates.

Death data must be coupled with large-scale environmental datasets so that impact assessments can be done

edit on 28-5-2020 by AttitudeProblem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   

It is a new virus so everything we are learning will change a thousand times come 3 years from now.

People need to stop going to work when sick, stop shopping when sick, stop sneezing and coughing on other people and objects, wash their hands, and stop touching their face and it will help against not only Covid but also Influenza, Common Cold, Norwalk virus, etc...

I think the issue with Covid is the viral load which even a small amount can make you slightly ill but perhaps not overtly symptomatic. So while it might be unlikely to get it from an object it it still allows you to pass it on if you were so unlucky to get it that way. Live with someone with the illness and you will get a much larger viral load. Get sneezed on and it's somewhere in the middle.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Aside from the asymptomatic threat of spreading the virus and how it was/is overstated, is the absolute lying regarding the corona virus, it's threat and the way we can contain it. My greater point is we have been misled, lied to and guided by incompetent fools from the CDC to Fauci and the media have facilitated so many confusing interpretations that we are all left wondering who to believe... as the dust settles we are starting to see that this was a bad strain of flu which hit the elderly population particularly hard..thanks to our governors putting infected patients together in nursing homes..and shutting down the economy was an over reaction. We flattened the curve over two months ago yet we are still being told we cannot open the economy up...why not?
They have been lying and overstating since the beginning and the New England Journal of Medicine report is just another example in a long list of misinformation and lies.
This video speaks volumes and should piss us all off. See how Fauci tells Al Sharpton he knew in January, unbelievable lie.

a reply to: Identified

originally posted by: smurfy

How low, nobody is specific, however if you consider that coronavirus studies, (an international study BTW..including all the big players) that occurred in Wuhan in 2015/2016 involving the use of horseshoe bats, needed to include the virus lying dormant in humans for some time..that is a given, it is also very much a crucial question as to the nature of those studies, and crucial as to the nature of how the virus jumped to humans, and I dare say, exactly what is it's actual conception.

new topics

top topics

join