It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dad had heroes that won wars, put men on the moon, and fed a family.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
My dad had many heroes. From his mom that hid money from her husband to feed the family while hubby stayed at the bar week after week between jobs. His mom that fed beggars that came to the back door.

Our mutual hero, my mom who was a nurse.

His heroes where also those that won WWII, put men on the moon. Who built and designed the P-51 mustang, and the SR-71 blackbird. I was always more of a B-17 kind of guy.

Unfortunately my mom died before my daughter came along. At least she died with family and friends at her side. I share with my daughter how much her grandmother would have loved her.

My dad passed when my daughter was only six months old, alone, and heartbroken over the loss of his wife.

Who are your heroes. I hope you honor them. I hope you share their memories with you children

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, S&F. My heroes are my husband, my parents, and all those working so hard to provide essential services during this pandemic.

My husband is in a nursing home after suffering a stroke in February. He is one of the strongest people I know. We had been together 32 years, so it’s been a very difficult adjustment for me. I can’t imagine how he’s feeling. But I talk to him on the phone a lot, and he has been such an inspiration to me. He taught me so much, and has made me a better person. I feel like I can be okay because of him.

My Mom got polio when she was two years old. This was about a decade before they came up with a vaccine. She was told she would never marry, drive, or have children. Well, she proved everyone wrong on all three counts and then some! She even rode a bicycle for awhile. She never let anyone tell her she couldn’t do something. She would always show them they were wrong. My Dad is such a wonderful strong presence. He had a massive heart attack in 1988 and was one of the few people at that time to have quintuple bypass heart surgery. He was in really bad shape, and we didn’t know if he’d make it through Christmas that year. He’s still around and still as cantankerous and sarcastic as ever.

My parents and my two sisters have been there for me through all these stressors. I love them a lot, and am so glad I have such a wonderful family.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

My heros? My father.

He really was a hero. Every single day I try to be as courageous as he was, to live up to his standard.

I've told his story here before, many times, but it would be hard to find a more fearless human being on planet Earth...a true legend.

US Army Air Force, 8th Air Force, 381st Bombardment Group Heavy, 532nd Squadron, Ridgewell, England...1942 to 1945, 88 missions. Silver Stars, Bronze stars, Caterpillar Club, shot down twice...re-enlisted 3 times. Survived his entire training squadron (all dead). Survived most of his combat squadrons...and came back for more.

Flew one of the only B-17's to make it back to the US, one he had crewed through unimaginable missions for two years.

I'm glad your dad 'knew' a hero...one of them was my father and I grew up with him!

God Bless!

edit on 5/24/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I think your mom is one of my heroes now.

But my family are all heroes to me.

And my son, who went through years of cancer and pain and still stayed strong, to the end. There will never be a greater hero to me than him.

I'm pretty damn sure that he is in heaven. He earned it the hardest way.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

My Mom went on a bicycle trip. She thought that was the coolest thing. A freaking "bicycle trip". That's what she did.

That's what my Mom did.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   

My 3 children hadn't met my grandmother until last summer.
It had been 19 years since I saw my grandma last.
I made it my mission to have my wife and children meet her at least once.
Such a wonderful woman with a heart of gold.
82 years old and still does her own canning, making sauces, gardening - picking beans, tomatoes, you name it, she grows it in her garden.
She had a stroke a few weeks ago from hanging drywall in her laundry room.
She's okay now, but for a few days the family was scared.
I think she now is understanding that she needs to start taking it easy.
God I miss her.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

My dog Joey. I lost him last year. Nobody better than him. I remember him everyday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Dad was my personal hero and Robin and Mom.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   

My dad.

My hero.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Man, that is a hard one. My dad, maybe. I struggled to prove myself to him , only to fall back time and again. Then I keep asking, why should I prove myself to him? He didn't spend much time with me and criticizes me all the time when I was with him. He is old now and cool. But I can't forget the past.

Something drove me to be the person I am today. So, I guess he is my almost hero. Taught me to be fiercely independent in a business which is required.

He made me, then I made myself. My only hero is myself.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
A little over a decade ago my uncle was one of three Firemen that died in a house fire on the Fourth of July in Southern NJ.

Though a county fire Marshall and Chief in a neighboring town that didn't prevent my uncle and the other two firemen from entering a house where three children were trapped.

Sadly the house collapsed and the three Firemen and three children all perished.

People, fellow firefighters from all over the world, came to all three funerals. The President called the families of each fireman. Once you get past the mournful playing of "Going Home" with the one pull away fly over all those directly touched by this scenario were left with was a sense of sadness that a loved one was gone but pride that the three people, who never met the kids they tried to save, gave everything they had to get them out.

To me, that is the definition of a hero.
Maybe you win, maybe you lose but when it's danger close you are the first person in trying to help someone in desperate need.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
My heros? My father. He really was a hero.

My old man dropped behind German lines twice in a frikkin' glider. The second time they went so deep they had to be liberated by the allied advance.

Hero? He always said he just did what they told him to do.

Greatest Generation is a fit title. Not many of them left.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Very awe inspiring family history. Thank you.
edit on 25-5-2020 by neutronflux because: (no reason given)

top topics

join