It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If youre still working, should you take the US government stimulus?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
In the end, it's our tax dollars one way or another, working or not.

So why turn it down?

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01
People on unemployment are about to be making more than most people employed.

"Essential" workers are about to get screwed and really don't even realize it. Making $9-$15, or whatever an hour and now the states are gonna add $600 a week to the already allotted weekly unemployment benefits.

I am not really getting this whole thing. The working class people get screwed again while people on the couch get rewarded more than the still working people.

Kind of mind boggling.

After all of the corporate and congressional monetary gains and screwing the working class, I believe you would be a fool not to use the $1,200 to your advantage. Why should you feel guilty of anything coming from this government that bends us over every single day.

Amen! Also, most working people don’t receive food stamps, and if you get paid bi-weekly, coming across certain food and supplies isn’t easy.

Not to mention, they are the front lines.

I personally have spent money on my own ppe, and cleaning supplies for work when we didn’t have any!

The ? Is disrespectful to the people putting themselves at risk for the public’s benefit!

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   
People who work had to stock up, make arrangements for kids, maybe had to incur other costs associated with the shutdown besides their actual job. And the timeline seems indefinite so, yeah, everyone should get a boost.

Generally though, I think the stimulus is wrong-headed. Should have been more of a "freeze", then a reboot. No mortgage, rent, notes or bills due. No evictions or repos or firings. Any losses to be determined at a later date with a chance for recompensation claims later. After it all sorts out. Too many unknowns now.

Money would have been better spent on healthcare support. No pandemic, no problems.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

If memory serves Trump was looking more that direction but no way congress was going to miss the opportunity to spend spend spend.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I'm still working, I however, have reduced hours and people on unemployment will be making more than me while working. So yeah, because without the stimulus check I'm screwed.
edit on 4/2/2020 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

This is about where I am at. I am working from home, but because I'm juggling kiddo, I'm at the mercy of when I can take contract style work through login.

So I may or may not be worse off than before. This month will tell the tale.

The only reason we're not hurting is because of husband's job, and trust me ... I am very aware of how fortunate we are there.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Yes because if you pay your taxes then you should be getting YOUR money back. I have not seen any real stories but I brought this up in a thread a few weeks ago when the story was coming out about the possibility of getting "stimulus" checks. I am not sure this is the best way to go about helping people but the main thing I am wondering is what spending is the Government cutting back on during this time?

Its one thing to give money back to the people that you took it from to begin with but it is really peanuts when you account for all the waste and bogus programs that the other monies are being spent on. Did we also cut all foreign aid? Are other budgets cut? It isn't going to matter what you get back unless there are major cuts in other areas.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: edaced4

Heck yeah we're taking the money!

My hubs is being made to work in this mess every day and then comes home to me- and several health conditions put me in the high risk category. We both worry every day he goes out he will bring the virus home to me. Even with taking every precaution available it is still playing Russian Roulette with our lives.

We deserve a little of our own money back if for no other reason than the stress it is putting us through!

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guiltyguitarist
No. But you should get hazard pay which would be way more than $1200

Hazard pay? Us? It's blood, guts, pee n poo EVERY-DAY
EMT/ADV. DISASTER LIFE SUPPORT

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: edaced4

"Essential Business" workers like yourself should be granted more than a one-time $1,200. At the very least, $2,000 a month as hazardous duty pay, while you're exposed to Covid-19 on a constant basis.

Go one step further and make it just the same as the military hazardous pay where it is also non-taxable.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I say take the money just in case you get sick and then you'll need the money.

When this ends then give it to charity if you so choose.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If you are still working, especially in the healthcare field.. take the danged money!! Consider it society's thank you for risking your neck to deliver us our groceries, making our fast food, keeping the convenience stores open, picking up our garbage, and of course, taking care of our sick, coming to our rescue when our home catches fire, and keeping the peace in our streets.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Yea I am going to take it and use it to pay down credit card debt.

I think most have added more CC debt than normal due to the outbreak even if they still have their job. So we are talking many layers here and some of the extreme who lost their jobs will have further compensation such as unemployment, workmen's comp etc to help.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Hazard pay? Us? It's blood, guts, pee n poo EVERY-DAY
EMT/ADV. DISASTER LIFE SUPPORT

You left out spit and snot...lol

top topics

<< 1   >>

join