It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about Clostrdium Difficile? Never heard of it? Then read this you flu worriers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Y'know folks, it's blowing my mind to the Hyper-reactions this Covid cold virus is causing, esp when the average Ameerican/person in a first world country has No Idea that there are far more deadly bacteria currently across the USA, highly infectious bacterium like C. Difficile, is, like:

Embargoed until: Wednesday, February 25, 2015, 5:00 pm

Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) Clostridium difficile (C. difficile)

Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) caused almost half a million infections among patients in the United States in a single year, according to a study released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Approximately 29,000 patients died within 30 days of the initial diagnosis of C. difficile. (around 5%)

Of those, about 15,000 deaths were estimated to be directly attributable to C. difficile infections, making C. difficile a very important cause of infectious disease death in the United States.

More than 80 percent of the deaths associated with C. difficile occurred among Americans aged 65 years or older. C. difficile causes an inflammation of the colon and deadly diarrhea.

Previous studies indicate that C. difficile has become the most common microbial cause of healthcare-associated infections in U.S. hospitals and costs up to $4.8 billion each year in excess health care costs for acute care facilities alone.

The new study found that 1 out of every 5 patients with a healthcare-associated C. difficile infection experienced a recurrence of the infection and 1 out of every 11 patients aged 65 or older with a healthcare-associated C. difficile infection died within 30 days of diagnosis. “C. difficile infections cause immense suffering and death for thousands of Americans each year,” said CDC Director Tom Frieden, M.D., M.P.H.

The Only successful method they've found to treat this "imbalance" in the person's gut flora is a "poo transplant" from a healthy donor so that a happy garden will grow in your gut rather than this 'difficult' sheet

I just thought I'd try to gove you some "perspective" on this Corona cold, maybe there's more than one strain or IDK, but this is #3 on the list of killer diseases American's are getting every day, and these guys need that TP folks, I mean, "today you, tomorrow me"

I was hospitalised with septacemia and septic arthritis in 2016 for a feew weeks as I got given IV antibiotics BUT my point is, that kind of infection gives you this state of mind that's like this amazingly diverese kind of "stone", it's a bit like everything and if it's get one of these fevers and die? Meh, NBD, you'll probably enjoy it, becoming delerious and talking back to the tv is pretty funny when you think about it, but dying from this sh#tty disease isn't

Nearly half a million Americans suffered from Clostridium difficile infections in a single year

edit on 11-3-2020 by JohnnyJetson because: linky

edit on 11-3-2020 by JohnnyJetson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyJetson

I got c diff before. The culprit was taking Clindamycin for a tooth pull right before a surgery for a torn meniscus.

Worse thing ever; you have to bleach everything in your house when you are allowed to go home for months. Sugar is not your friend with c-diff or milk products.

The pain is horrible, picture your intestines being eaten by fire ants.

My latest surgery, my anesthesiologist told me I would be given antibiotics. I asked her if I had to have it; she conferred with my Dr, and he agreed I should not have it.

Antibiotics should only be taken when necessary.

Vancomycin works well for this, it is very expensive though!

I

edit on 11-3-2020 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   

There are idiot doctors out there who will prescribe antibiotics for viral infections because their patients ask for it. I know people who take antibiotics several times a year and I just want to punch their throats out, as I consider them to be enemy combatants, wielding biological warfare against humanity.

As KTemplar said, antibiotics are generally the culprit, making a person 7-10x more likely to have symptomatic problems, according to the CDC.

I don't see any point in comparing this to coronavirus-so-far. Everyone, whether they admit it or not, is well aware that the problem, and concern with SARS-CoV-2 is the unknown factor, and the potential to overwhelm healthcare systems' ability to treat those who need hospitalization & oxygen support.

Nobody is freaking out over 30 deaths, its the potential to turn into half a million seniors choking to death at home that is the concern - thus the preventive measures.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I caught heavy dysentery on holiday when i was a child from the poor tap water in a hotel in Morecambe Bay, England.

And what a horrible experience that was, i could have painted the whole toilet brown. LoL

Not quite Clostridium Difficile but i can remember it to this day.
edit on 11-3-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Still a higher risk of dieing simply for going to the doctor

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyJetson
The Only successful method they've found to treat this "imbalance" in the person's gut flora is a "poo transplant" from a healthy donor so that a happy garden will grow in your gut rather than this 'difficult' sheet

The CDC information linked says nothing about fecal transplant and unless you're leaving information out of the statement this is absolutely false. Do you have a source for this claim?

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

The Microbiota transplant is only for those cases that are recurring. It's a non-FDA approved experimental procedure which has shown to be successful.

C. difficile infection

Recurrent infection Up to 20% of people with C. difficile get sick again, either because the initial infection never went away or because they've been reinfected with a different strain of the bacteria.

Your risk of recurrence is higher if you:

Are older than 65
Are taking other antibiotics for a different condition while being treated with antibiotics for C. difficile infection
Have a severe underlying medical disorder, such as chronic kidney failure, inflammatory bowel disease or chronic liver disease

Treatment for recurrent disease may include:

- Antibiotics. Antibiotic therapy for recurrence may involve one or more courses of a medication. In general, guidelines recommend not repeating the same therapy used for an initial infection for a recurrent infection. The effectiveness of antibiotic therapy declines with each subsequent recurrence.

- Fecal microbiota transplant (FMT). Also known as a stool transplant, FMT is emerging as an alternative strategy for treating recurrent C. difficile infections. Though FMT is considered experimental and is not yet approved by the FDA, clinical studies are currently underway.

FMT restores healthy intestinal bacteria by placing another person's (donor's) stool in your colon through a colonoscope or nasogastric tube. Donors are screened for medical conditions, their blood is tested for infections, and stools are carefully screened for parasites, viruses and other infectious bacteria before being used for FMT.

Research has shown that FMT done one or more times has a success rate higher than 85% for treating C. difficile infections.

Probiotics. Probiotics are organisms, such as bacteria and yeast, and are available over the counter. The role of these products in C. difficile infection is controversial. Research hasn't consistently shown that currently available products are helpful in preventing or treating infection with C. difficile. Advanced probiotics are currently being studied for their potential use in C. difficile treatment or prevention but aren't currently available.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

Correct. That was the information I was wondering may have been left out and why I requested a source. I'd only heard of It used in chronic cases. It was pretty fringe a number of years ago, but as your link shows it's gaining momentum. I don't know that it will ever be FDA approved.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

Nobody is freaking out over 30 deaths, its the potential to turn into half a million seniors choking to death at home that is the concern - thus the preventive measures.

If no one is freaking out about 30 deaths why are there so
many posts on ATS with people concerned with infection/death counting websites not always updating fast enough? Or people starting new threads because NJ has one more case?

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
C-diff lives symbiotically in some people, many hospital workers carry this microbe. They do not get sick from it. If you piss it off with antibiotics, it comes out of your nose and will start eating your skin if you live symbiotically with it, I know a hospital worker who had this problem, she got a little infection after a very minor surgery and had to take some antibiotics.

They cannot get rid of this microbe in hospitals because of that reason. It is usually not a problem for people, because our immune system keeps it from biting us, but people who have just had an operation or are sick can have major problems with this, I suspect that even those who have the flu or this virus spreading around might have more problems with catching C-diff from hospital workers.

Living symbiotically with a microbe does not mean that these workers are dirty, it just means they get along with that microbe. Everyone has different microbe flora combinations they live symbiotically with, one mans friendly microbes may be another person's killer.

People can have pneumonia living peacefully in their noses and will never have a problem with it until their immune system gets weakened, and the person visiting you at the hospital can even give you pneumonia even though they have zero symptoms.
edit on 11-3-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join