It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twisted history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have been reading a series of books by Harry Turtledove about an alternate history where the South Won the Civil War and it is EXCELLENT.

It doesn't stop with the Civil War but goes on from there. The South fought two wars with the North winning both, but then the South allied with the UK, Canada, France, Japan, and Russia fought against, and lost to, the USA, Germany and there allies in WW1.

I am up to 1924 where a Hitler-like man has been elected President of a inflation wrecked and humbled CSA and WW2 is brewing.

Oddly enough since Germany WON WW1 Hitler never seized power there.

Its a VERY interesting read especially for history buffs and I highly recomend it.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Sounds like a interesting read, alternative history novels are always a good read.
One that I've been trying to find for a while is one about an alternative history where Rome never fell and they slowly forged an even bigger empire than what they had.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
hey UK do you know the name of the book cause it sound very interesting

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Sounds like a interesting read, alternative history novels are always a good read.
One that I've been trying to find for a while is one about an alternative history where Rome never fell and they slowly forged an even bigger empire than what they had.

Only scifi fiction piece that I have seen was that one star trek episode. I agree it would be interesting.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I definitely enjoy alternative history and this series looks interesting.
What are they called ? - I think I'll give them a go.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I definitely enjoy alternative history and this series looks interesting.
What are they called ? - I think I'll give them a go.

you should like this then.

the first one I got is "How Few Remain" which is the SECOND war between the North and South. I think there is one before that.

then you have a three part series over the first world war called "The Great War" the books are "American Front", "Walk in Hell" and "Breakthroughs"

then comes a another group called "American Empire" the first is "Blood and Iron" ands the second is "The center cannot Hold" I am sure there will be a third one too.

It is a Great series.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Roma Eternia by Robert Silverberg

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
A while ago I read one of his books I Don't remember the name off the top of my head but it was about How during ww2 everyone teamed up to stop an upcoming alien invasion and it was an excellent book too

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   

www.fantasticfiction.co.uk...

Fireball

1. Fireball (1981)
2. New Found Land (1983)
3. Dragon Dance (1986)

Dunno if those are the ones you refer to, but it sure sounds like it to me. I read them a long time ago; main characters were Simon and Brad, who were cousins. A good read, whether or not those are the books you are thinking of.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
you should read turtledov's series about an alian invasion in the middle of ww2. it is realy well done. can't remember the series name but one book has einstein by a futuristic aircraft. basicaly the alians have todays tech base to work with.but don't adapt or advance well, so the humans gain the upper hand.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Roma Eternia by Robert Silverberg

Another great alternative history by Robert Silverberg is "The man in
the high tower" It's hard to find; I think it may be out of print but check with
Amazon and ExLibra.com they usually have a lot of out of print books :]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Sounds like a compelling read!

I'm about 3/4 through "The Plot Against America" by Philip Roth

What if FDR lost to Charles Lindbergh in the 1940 election? Nazi America...

It spins a tale from one young Jewish boy's POV, in a family that ends up being tied to some of the major figures in the movement, with some very intense emotional battles between family members who both oppose and respect the new leadership...

Can't wait to finish it and see how it all ends up - Fantastic read so far though....It's written in a way that almost forces you to believe this could have happened...

top topics

join