It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus beating chicken soup.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Oh, I love fat too.
On steaks....butter on toast....coconut oil.
But not in my soup

Actually, we add butter to some of our soups to mellow them if they are a little sharp from too much veggies. It smooths the soup, just like putting butter on veggies makes them taste better. My youngest daughter, who has started to create lots of new soups informed me of this. We both agree, we are not bound to follow someone else's recipes, we can modify things. Unless of course, the recipe is a really great recipe that needs no modification, you stumble across some that cannot be improved sometimes. My wife though, she had been brainwashed that you have to follow the recipe to the T. But I have convinced her that she can adjust recipes and if it improves the taste, just correct it in the cookbook. Now she has been looking at recipes she marked as no good and has started experimenting once she realized that she can eliminate a spice she does not like, or reduce the amount. You cannot do that when making jam though, no lessening the sugar or increasing the berries too much or it will mold in the fridge within three to four weeks after opening the freezer jam.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

We have a chicken noodle that uses butter in it. Between homemade stock, good chicken, thick style noodles and veggies then the butter, it's rich stuff. And soooo good.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Oh definitely deglaze. Can't leave any roasty bits behind. That's flavor!

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If its cold and you're outdoors, butter goes in the coffee.
Its all about the fat, it keeps you warm.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Wait, what?!?

I have never heard of that. Sounds disgusting.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
wot if humans are the virus?

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

If it keeps you warm and alive....its all good!
There is a reason Eskimos eat a lot of fat.

If its minus 40, you'll beg for the butter and the fat.

Sorry Silly, not trying to hijack the thread with fat talk but.......does this post make me look fat??

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

That's why I don't use the meat for the stock. It dries out and loses flavor.
The bones have enough meat to flavor it.
Reducing the broth concentrates the flavor.

Oh I forgot to say to spoon off that nasty white foam off the top as it reduces.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   

That's why I don't use the meat for the stock. It dries out and loses flavor.
The bones have enough meat to flavor it.
Reducing the broth concentrates the flavor.

Oh I forgot to say to spoon off that nasty white foam off the top as it reduces.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I do boil the whole bird to make chicken and dumplings!

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Right. No skin goes in my soup. There's a bit of fat but not a lot.
Enough to give it body and flavor.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

I have a special 420 butter just made for coffee. Also it goes very well with Earl Gray as well.

Almost Tibetan, except for the Yaks.

topic....

Chicken Soup?
edit on 2-3-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I do dough balls for dumplings. Never liked the noodle dumplings. I’ll eat them of course because...chicken and dumplings!

Lately...been having a craving for soft pretzels.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'll share a chicken soup recipe that we like that's a little bit different. I'm posting this one instead of the chicken noodle one because this one makes use of turmeric. It's supposed to be one that was made by Iranian Jews.

4 qts chicken broth
2 md carrots chopped
2 md leeks, white only
2 lg celery stalks
2 md potatos, peeled and cut
2 15 oz cans chickpeas, drained
2 sm onions, grated
1 1/2 lb ground chicken (legs and thighs)
1 c bread crumbs (matzo in original)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground cardamom
6 to 8 tsp water, as needed
chives
salt and pepper

1. ) Bring borth to boil over high heat in large saucepan. Reduce heat to a bare simmer and add carrots, leeks, celery, potatoes. Cover and cook until vegetables are completely tender, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile make meatballs.

2. ) Place chickpeas in a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher until no whole chickpeas remain but mixture is still somewhat chunky. Add chicken, onions, bread crumbs, olive oil, turmeric, cumin, and cardamom. Lightly mix with hands until mixture is well mixed, then add water, one tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms together easily and can be rolled into balls that keep their shape but don't stick to your hands.

3. Add 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and mix well. Place a 1/2 tsp worth of mixture on a microwave-proof plate and microwave on high for 10 seconds until cooked through. Taste and add more salt or pepper if desired. Repeat microwaving, tasting, and seasoning until desired seasoning is achieved.

4.) Form meatballs by rolling a couple tablespoons of the mixture between your hands. Each ball should measure 1 1/2" in diameter. You'll be able to make about 40. Transfer to a large plate as you make them. Drop them one at a time into the broth. When all meatballs are in, bring the soup back up to a simmer until the balls lighten in color slightly, puff up, and are cooked through completely, about 10 minutes. Adjust broth seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with chives.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Alright, here’s a good move. Make a soup like you do but instead of chicken added at the end drop in some Mexican or spanish chorizo or any sausage that has paprika and has some heat. Bring back to a quick boil then simmer until the sausage is done. The oils and paprika now turn your soup red and all the extra fat is delicious. Now your soup is rocking with flavor from the paprika and heat.
edit on 2-3-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: My brain forget line and spelt

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Important step!
That foam is gross.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Interesting concept!

But adding butter to mellow a soup is not the same as having way too much chicken fat in your soup.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Important step!
That foam is gross.
The omega six oils come out first to the top of the soup, followed by the omega threes. In saturated fats, they seem to foam more than the omega threes. I always spoon out the foam and crud from the top, it often has a terrible taste if left in. It actually gets absorbed back into the soup. Foam is formed from fats combining with lectins, the lectin foam should be disgarded, just like it forms crud, it makes our platelets stick together. The lectins come from veggies, and lectin like stuff comes from the albumin in the meat. Both will thicken blood...so will egg white, but rarely does the yolk of the egg.

I know all sorts of weird stuff, I should have just said the soup tastes better if you skim the crap off.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Interesting concept!

But adding butter to mellow a soup is not the same as having way too much chicken fat in your soup.

Once you remove the chicken skum and first fat, the later fats are not that bad. I do keep skimming though, and put the crap in a can with used paper towels when I make soup, you do not want to dump that down the drain. Or you will be cleaning out the drain pipe, my wife used to dump that stuff down the drain and I was cleaning out the two inch line every two or three years, it just built up on the pipe and closed up. Last time I took the shpp vac and sucked it out with a long pipe, it cost me eighteen bucks for a new filter. But maybe it will last a lot longer now that neither of us dump any fat down the drain anymore. Butter works really well for mellowing the minestrome soup made with real homemade bone broth.

The fat on the organic free roaming chickens tastes quite a bit better than most of the golden plump and tyson chickens. Still greasy, but not sickening.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I forgot to add that when we make stock, we always skim out the stock. We have one of those things that separates fat and lets you pour it off.

We also skim off any scum.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join