It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much salt do you have stored away?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I have often thought of how much salt should be stored. I know we need it, but I don't know how much we need. We're always told we get too much salt in our diets due to eating processed foods and whatnot. How do we figure out how much to store?

By the way, I think that sounds like a decent price for the 50 pound bag. That's only around 50 cents a pound. In my area that's good.

It probably sounds weird or dorky, but I got thinking about it years ago when I saw the t.v. show "Jericho." That girl's family owned the salt mine and because they weren't there (I guess died in one of the explosions), she ended up the one in charge. There was a big to-do about it, because salt was so much in demand, and I think it caused some problems. It was a long time ago I saw it, so I don't recall exactly.

Anyway, over time I would pick up some extra salt here and there or if it was on sale or whatever. As a side note, I am a little obsessed with salt now. I just went and looked, I have about 12 pounds total. But that includes my salt collection and some for practical use and storage.

I thought some might find it amusing or interesting (LOL at least I do!) to see some of my salts, so I included a picture. I'm so proud looking at it... Hahahahaha... *mumbles* Now if I can figure out how to post the picture!

Here's an interesting link about culinary salts. www.foodrepublic.com... to-the-many-different-types-of-salt/

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

I'm not telling how much - but - it's enough and then a lot more.

Kosher.

Pickling.

Rock salt and the red trace-mineral blocks (cheap at $8 for a 50 lb block).

Also a good stash of 'No Salt' salt substitute as it's made from potassium and that right there is one of the most important 'salts' (minerals) that your body needs.

Great thread.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
That is very cool. I'm a rock collector and a big piece of salt is a super cool mineral specimen!

a reply to: Alchemst7

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

I live in the Tropics -- very humid. For our area, Morton's Iodized Salt -- the old-fashioned stuff -- keeps better without clumping or melding together, than any other commercially-available salt. I really like the flavor and consistency of sea salt, so I buy that in small containers, because it will get sticky very quickly, once opened.

We are survivalists, and have a case (12) 26 oz. If it got beyond that, we'd dry seawater. We've done that before, and with a solar still, it's pretty efficient.

Your genuine salt needs are probably much less than you are used to. One of those Morton's salt containers might last you or me well more than a year. It would be strange to have to determine a person's minimum requirements for salt. I remember as a kid we had a salt lick out in the field about 1/4 mile from our house, and all manner of animals would come down from the high country to have a lick now and then.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join