It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok does any one know what is this?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Frodolives
a reply to: chr0naut
I dunno. You in the country?
Mayhaps a transmitter from a dog collar. Someone hunting coyotes nearby maybe.

I'm in a different country.

Generally, the radio bands available for public use have much higher frequencies and therefore shorter aerials.

This antenna looks old school and I'd suspect older audio comms rather than digital.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: ColeYounger

I know it is an antenna but an Antenna for what? It has a connector for RG-6 Cable. It just mysteriously appeared in my yard. So yeah to me it is suspicious.

You must not have much to do around there. Is it a very rural location? Those are the kinds of antennas that would screw onto the back of PCI wireless adapters for desktop computers back in the day.

It is suspicious. Someone was doing some electronic recon of your right wing activism on the internet, trying to see if you were a potential domestic terrorist for your openly pro-Trump views. They unscrewed it and dropped it when they were leaving in haste to not be noticed probably.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Sir, though you may commonly see a bnc used for the termination on an antenna like this, that is not a british naval connector.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

It does look like a diy antenna, ill give you that. It kinda looks like it was fashioned from brake cable from a bicycle perhaps, which may explain why its not rusting.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Might be an aircraft antenna off a plane.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

Doesn’t matter what type of metal it is. I’ve seen people use coat hangers. Besides the shape what clued me in was the red tape . That’s when the dowser knows he’s directly over what they are looking for .

Remember I’m country and know people to do that .

People hire dowsers around here to look for oil in the Cambrian basin reservoirs .

It might just be me, but I get the impression that the antenna in the picture is around 4 inches long.

Don't dowsing rods have to be longer than that? Without a description of the neighborhood, how much traffic it gets, and how close the neighbors houses are, there's no clue and there wont be one as to how it ended up in his yard and what it was used for.

Was it near the curb/street? Do people drive by all day or is it more rural?

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I agree with FlyingSquirrel. It's probably a good guess that someone has been intercepting your wifi and accidentally left the antenna behind.

Any idea what would make you a target?

Might be wise to set up a few surveillance cameras around your property to catch the perpetrators.

If you can, install Kali on a laptop and see how vulnerable your home network is. Then do what you need to do in order to make it more difficult to access your network & connected devices without your permission.

I'd also be setting up a honey pot wifi network to catch any potential intruder red handed.

Maybe get a dog too. A big one.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

The scale I’m using for my interpretation of its size is .

The black plastic 90° hose fitting on top is 1 to 1 1/2 inches long each way . That would make the coupling beneath it about 3 inches long ( 1 1/2” inserted into one female end The same depth empty on the other ) add another inch for the brass fitting .

Make the handle about 4 inches long .

The antenna looks to be four or five links of the handle .

Which would make the antenna around 16 to 20 inches .

I hope the OP pops in and lets me know.

I’m familiar with those fittings and if I’m right on what they are .

I’m at least close . 🤞

P.S i’m on the phone but I did make one error last night.

I thought the red towards the end was tape. Now I’m pretty sure it’s yarn .
edit on 2-12-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: Fallingdown

That's what old short people use to reach high stuff.

Or maybe not...

Tride ( tried ) that it didn’t work .

I can’t lock the circle without putting your( my) hand on it.

So I went and got a stepstool . 😉

I sure wish we had a couple days to edit our replies . 🤦‍♂️

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Its just a small antenna and has no tech or spying capabilities as its just the same sort of thing as used for TV's just with a different connector at the end.

Probably could of been brought in by a wild animal/bird who took it thinking as something to build a nest with or nice and shiny for a magpie and it got dropped?

It looks like it was supposed to be extendable but got snapped and some red tape to connect the 2 ends but could of been used for anything that needed to have a field replacable antenna which would be some small comms like CB/wifi aka something costing slightly more money but at that sort of size probably short range in the line of sight sort of range.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Looks like an older site survey antenna...companines use these attached to a unit to best figure out where to put booster for optimal transmission/connection of wifi...for all you know a kid or a bird could have thrown it or dropped it in the yard.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It looks like the UHF antenna on the back of a Dish Network Satellite TV Receiver

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: nontoxic

You got it. I was looking at it and it has the word DISH molded in the black piece. I had the roof redone a month before I found it. They took the old DISH satellite dish off. I doubt it was on it but it could have been in it and when they unbolted it it fell out.

Thanks guys.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join