It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Macron vetoes Brexit extension - No Deal extremely likely

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

France is ready to send Britain crashing out of the European Union unless Labour and the Commons agree to a general election or ratify Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal. Britain and the EU are nearing the brink of no-deal after President Macron today blocked an extension to Brexit and preparations began for an emergency summit on October 30. A source close to the French president warned that a delay to Brexit beyond Thursday was “not a given” unless there was new political movement in Westminster to justify it. “France wants a justified and proportionate extension. However, we have nothing of the sort so far,” an Élysée official said. “We must show the British that it is up to them to clarify the situation and that an extension is not a given. Pressure must be maintained.” France has so far vetoed an automatic Brexit delay until January 31, 2020, in exasperation at the deadlock in Westminster after Labour’s refusal to back the prime minister’s call for an election in December.

THE TIMES

YES MR MACRON!!!! Something I can finally agree with the man about and admire him for!

Please refuse the extension we are begging you! Do the right thing so we can get OUT OF THE EU on a clean break!!!!!!

I cant wait to see Other Side of the Coin and Andy06 crying their eyes out!
and of course all the other remainers, the reaction will be absolutely hilarious if the EU actually refuse their pathetic extension
edit on 25/10/2019 by JPtruther because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JPtruther

Macron doing Boris a favour ?

I would like an election but will settle for the deal , it's not perfect but it gives us one foot out of the door so the chance of a full break further down the line is still a possibility.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Does this mean that there will or won't be an election, then?

edit on 25-10-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Odds are that there won't be an election because the opposition parties fear the electorate and the roth we will deliver at the ballot box for their antics over the last 3 years.
The Labour party are strongest in the North and the North voted for Brexit.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Odds are that there won't be an election because the opposition parties fear the electorate and the roth we will deliver at the ballot box for their antics over the last 3 years.
The Labour party are strongest in the North and the North voted for Brexit.

This is what disgusts me the most about this parliament... No regard for the people, refusing an election because they can’t stand the thought of the Tories or Brexit Party getting a majority and pushing through Brexit!

Absolute disgrace

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
yes, I assume Boris was banking on that.
He's got
a) EU saying "no extension unless we're sure about election"
b) Corbyn saying "no election unless we're sure about extension"
amd he can play them off against each other.

I understand his strategy to be- offer an extension hope on condition of election, so that he can't be blamed if extension doesn't happen
- refuse to "take no-deal off the table".
- rely on the above to make sure Corbyn rejects election
- trust in the additional impact of reverse psychology, like the SNP saying "We want an election, but not if Boris wants one"
- allow that to be reinforced with the deliberate provocation of the "zombie parliament" jibe. Even if the ploy is a little transparent, voting for an election looks like accepting the label and the insult.
- trust, therefore, that the election vote will be refused
- once no election, EU has no motive to offer extension
- with no extension, he has a no-deal exit within 72 hours, in such a way that he can't be blamed and even the Benn Act can't get at him.

P.S. No, if the emergency meeting is on the 30th, he's not much over 24 hours away. In that short time span, he could even afford to reject an extension offer, with the opposition having not enough time to react.
edit on 25-10-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
But I thought I just saw on Sky News that they will give an extension and will be discussing what kind early next week....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel
There are different groups of people offering decisions for the EU. The EU bureaucrats, like Tusk, have been eager to insist on postponement. I've seen references to a meeting of "ambassadors", which has agreed in principle to offer an extension, and will meet again "early next week" (presumably after the election vote), to settle on the precise length. But the real decision can only be made by the meeting of leaders, and the story in the OP suggests they won't meet until Wednesday.

edit on 25-10-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Brexit is all the Uk has heard about for 3 + years now the people are sick off it and just want out and our borders & laws back from Brussels .

But we will get shafted royally and end up paying a huge divorce bill

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Well ... the Brits get their country back ... absolutely overwhelmed by immigrants mind you.

Anyone wanna bet they won't get their firearms back? No matter what ...

Reeeeeeee!!!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
But I thought I just saw on Sky News that they will give an extension and will be discussing what kind early next week....

Rainbows
Jane

Not just Sky, most carriers have it.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Macron doing Boris a favour ?

By default!

I would like an election but will settle for the deal

Unless Boris cosies up with Nigel which he says he won't I think we would

end up back to square one with an election.

it's not perfect but it gives us one foot out of the door so the chance of a full break further down the line is still a possibility.

You must be joking?........... The EU has shown its self to be inflexible only

takes never gives.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
Unless Boris cosies up with Nigel which he says he won't I think we would end up back to square one with an election.

If "we won't offer an extension" enables Boris to leave without a deal next week, then Nigel's party has lost its function, except as a way for Leave voters to punish Labour Remainers.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   
We won't leave without a deal. There is a deal on the table. The deal just runs us into a future (as yet un-negotiated) treaty with the EU. The deal is the start of a process.

The conundrum for Labour at al, is whether the electorate will trust them to negotiate a worthwhile and productive future relationship with the EU, having spent the last three years attempting to frustrate progress. Labour and the other opposition parties have misplayed Brexit and have shown no imagination. Sitting on the side-lines just criticising and disrupting is not what an opposition should be doing.

Just to focus minds. Germany is now officially in recession. A no-deal would potentially kill the German economy, as would an unproductive future free-trade agreement.

The question now is who do you trust to finish the job and set the future relationship with our EU neighbours. Not forgetting that even with all the dire predictions of economic turmoil parroted by Remainers, the UK would remain the fifth or sixth biggest economies.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Just to focus minds. Germany is now officially in recession. A no-deal would potentially kill the German economy, as would an unproductive future free-trade agreement.

Point is trying to convince the remainers of that! They all parrot that its bigger

better and safer to remain in!.......as if.

The question now is who do you trust to finish the job and set the future relationship with our EU neighbours. Not forgetting that even with all the dire predictions of economic turmoil parroted by Remainers, the UK would remain the fifth or sixth biggest economies.

Too right, since when has it been necessary to be joined at the hip to be

in business, doing good business. It just needs a healthy willingness.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Fantastic news

They know the GE is coming and remain losers will get hammered

All this uncertainty is diving both economies into the mud, the towel is being thrown In

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Lol and what a surprise... Other Side Of The Coin and Andy06 are nowhere to be seen

top topics

join