It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Prophet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Do Christians believe that there will be another prophet? I know Muslims believe that Muhammad came after Jesus as the last prophet, but is there anything in the Bible (or Jesus's teachings) that foretell the coming of a new Prophet? Jesus is supposed to have come to reform Judiasm (as it was supposed to have strayed from the true message of God), will there be (or has there been) another prophet to reform Christianity? Was Muhammad a prophet of Judaism/Christianity? What about Luther? What about the "Comforter" that Jesus promised? Is it really the holy spirit, or was he foretelling the coming of another Prophet?

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
Do Christians believe that there will be another prophet?

Sure.

I know Muslims believe that Muhammad came after Jesus as the last prophet,

I think that islam is very unusual because of this. There is nothing to limit the number of people who god communicates with in other religions.

Jesus is supposed to have come to reform Judiasm (as it was supposed to have strayed from the true message of God),

? Since when?

will there be (or has there been) another prophet to reform Christianity? Was Muhammad a prophet of Judaism/Christianity?

This is interesting, because you are taking the islamic usage of the prophet mo as the model for all prophets, when that is incorrect. Mo supposedly was contacted by god because the other religions needed to be reformed and the arabs needed to return to their orginal monotheistic ways. Outside of islam, prophets are not reformers.

What about Luther?

An excommunicated heretic. Did not claim to have spoken to god or to have recieved divine knowledge explicitly from god. He was merely a reformer.

[quiote] What about the "Comforter" that Jesus promised?
John the Baptist probably. I think many would agree with that.

Is it really the holy spirit, or was he foretelling the coming of another Prophet?

in christianity jesus is not a prophet, jesus is part of the godhead itself.

Also, I should note that the nation of islam was founded by a 'new' prophet. So even in islam things are malleable and there is room for more prophets.

Also, I would pre-emptively clarify that the messiah in judaism is not necessarily a prophet, at least as far as I understand it. So judaism awaits a messiah, but not specifically as a prophet. Having said that, I know of nothing in judaism that says that there will not be more prophets to foretell the future or function as a mouthpeice for god.

Intersting things to consider.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Ive heared that there the bible says that there will be a prophet named achmed or ahmad which was the for name of mohammed. Achmed or ahmad was really rare in that time.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Hey Nygdan
What I meant was that one of the functions Jesus was to complete was the "fixing up" of Judaism at the time - The Pharisees mentality of rules being more important than people (hence Jesus's breaking of Sabbath, and showing compassion to sinners, etc.), and their showing off of praying. I would call that attempt at reform. Also the story of Soddom and Gammorah, at first the Prophet was trying to show them the right way, but it didn't work out. That could also be considered attempted reform.
About John the Baptist, wasn't he already around during the time of Jesus? Why would Jesus have to "send" him? I realise that Christians do not consider Jesus a "Prophet", but that doesn't mean another won't be sent.
About the messiah, doesn't that mean "Annointed one"? As in someone who is considered holy enough by God to speak His words on earth? So while a prophet can be the messiah, the messiah is not necessarily a prophet.
In Islam at least, there is the "Imam Mahdi" who while not a prophet, will be a considerably holy person, preaching God's "true" message.
Hey tomcat. I have heard this theory as well. It says that "Paraclete" (Comforter) in the Bible originally read "Periklytos" meaning "The Praised One", which is the meaning of Muhammad. Unfortunately, there is nothing to go for it one way or another.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
Ive heared that there the bible says that there will be a prophet named achmed or ahmad which was the for name of mohammed. Achmed or ahmad was really rare in that time.

Sounds made up. And ahmad is a far cry from mohammed

babloyi
About John the Baptist, wasn't he already around during the time of Jesus? Why would Jesus have to "send" him?

I've read a few interpretations of the jesus movement that looked at it as preparing for the ultimate leader who is supposed to be John the Baptist. THe Baptist was already ministering in the wilderness before jesus and the Baptist was teh one who baptised jesus. So the idea is that the jesus movement is laying the ground for the Baptist's ultimate movement. This type of reading also looks at the Dead Sea Scrolls, which talk about a Teacher of Righteousness, and identify the Baptist as that teacher. Its controversial and rather speculative to be sure.

About the messiah, doesn't that mean "Annointed one"? As in someone who is considered holy enough by God to speak His words on earth?

I don't get that specific reading from it. Kings are annointed. Leaders are annointed. The jewish talk of a messiah wasn't of a reformer to judaism nor the 'son of god' or anything like that, apparently, but rather of a military leader who will come about and overthrow the imperialist occupiers and bring about a new jewish state. From what I understand, the role of the messiah and the mehdi are similar, tho the mehdi is apocalytpic whereas the messiah is not.

In Islam at least, there is the "Imam Mahdi" who while not a prophet, will be a considerably holy person, preaching God's "true" message.

Ah, yes. I had been under the impression that the mehdi is more like I had said above? This formulation makes it seem like the prophecy is saying that there is going to be decadence and lax monotheism amoung the mohammedians and that this will require a mehdi to 'restore'?

I have heard this theory as well. It says that "Paraclete" (Comforter) in the Bible originally read "Periklytos" meaning "The Praised One", which is the meaning of Muhammad.

isn't it interesting how things can be changed in transmission? From the greek paraclete to an entirely different word which could be applied to mo to 'ahmed' and mohammed. Not a criticism in case anyone is overly sensitive, just an observation.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
mohammed wasnt the only name of him. He was also named achmed or ahmad. i forgot what exactly.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
Do Christians believe that there will be another prophet? I know Muslims believe that Muhammad came after Jesus as the last prophet, but is there anything in the Bible (or Jesus's teachings) that foretell the coming of a new Prophet? Jesus is supposed to have come to reform Judiasm (as it was supposed to have strayed from the true message of God), will there be (or has there been) another prophet to reform Christianity? Was Muhammad a prophet of Judaism/Christianity? What about Luther? What about the "Comforter" that Jesus promised? Is it really the holy spirit, or was he foretelling the coming of another Prophet?

The Comforter ("which" is the Holy Ghost) comes unto the devils in general. This concerns a transformation of their 'you'.

You see, "which" is the Holy Ghost because for now, in a rented extent, the devils go forth as the angels of heaven, doing whatever of evil. But the angels turn on them--Reapers is what the angels become--The Holy Ghost becomes the Reaper. Devils sow whatever, but the Reaper reaps whatsoever got sown. Watch! The devils are in a paradox that reveals as being also the very trap that will serve them into all of damnation. The devils are cursed.

In their rented extent it's all pre-served. They are death row slaves. They have the life that rises from the symbolized death. Symbolized death even because the passed away human body can fool people.

And if they think otherwise about being pre-served then let them break the "to". If they manage doing so they will be literally casting straight into damnation. So they better enjoy the rent till the time is up. And the time of the rent will be up soon. Now they gotta watch their back and watch their front. They are already slaves that will go unto a worst form of slavery once the "to" gets broken up.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I doubt there would be a new prophet who will be believed in our modern age. There are too many skeptics in the world these days. Whoever they are will probably end up just posting their visions on ATS.

[edit on 5-3-2005 by invader_chris]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Sounds made up. And ahmad is a far cry from mohammed

But that is the interesting thing that I learnt from my (limited) perusal of the Arabic language. ALL words come from a base word, which has 3 consonants. All words that share those consonants come from the same base word. So, if you take Muhammad, it is M, H and D. The same with Ahmed. And Hammad.

Originally posted by Nygdan
I've read a few interpretations of the jesus movement that looked at it as preparing for the ultimate leader who is supposed to be John the Baptist. THe Baptist was already ministering in the wilderness before jesus and the Baptist was teh one who baptised jesus. So the idea is that the jesus movement is laying the ground for the Baptist's ultimate movement. This type of reading also looks at the Dead Sea Scrolls, which talk about a Teacher of Righteousness, and identify the Baptist as that teacher. Its controversial and rather speculative to be sure.

This is very interesting. I had never heard of these movements before. Do any sects of Christianity follow John the Baptist as a prophet?

Hey invader. According to the scriptures, the prophets never had it easy. Obviously, it would be no different now. It would be interesting to see what the fundementalist Christians would say, considering that (at least in my opinion), they would be the ones any such prophet would be directed to. Like the "Established" and extra holy Pharisees of Jesus's day.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The only time that the Bible talks about another Prophet is in Revelation 11 when it talks about the two "Witneses" that will make Phrophesies for 3 1/2 years. Thats the only instance that I know of.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
There are lots of Christian prophets after Jesus, but you have to trace them in the Eastern Christianity, Vyzantium and Orthodox Christianity history.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
``

Re: future prophet and 'comforter' ->prophet or Holy Ghost?

top topics

join