It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wax stains on car.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Just curious if someone might be able to help me out. I was waxing my car when I got to the roof. The roof didn't have clearcoat but I figured it wouldn't be an issue. The car is purple, the roof is a dull purple. SO I waxed part of the roof an immediately noticed stains on the paint that I can't seem to get off. white swirls to be exact.. How can I get it off? Can I do so without risking the dull paint? Can I do so without a rubbing compound? Help?!?!

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
Just curious if someone might be able to help me out. I was waxing my car when I got to the roof. The roof didn't have clearcoat but I figured it wouldn't be an issue. The car is purple, the roof is a dull purple. SO I waxed part of the roof an immediately noticed stains on the paint that I can't seem to get off. white swirls to be exact.. How can I get it off? Can I do so without risking the dull paint? Can I do so without a rubbing compound? Help?!?!

Eucalyptus oil should get that sorted for you.

Lags

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

McGuire's nakes a nice buffing compound that removes swirls, your local automotive store should have it or something similar

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

If the other suggestions don't work, maybe a clay bar will get things smoothed together again.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
if the paints dull you might aswell use a cutting compound, then youll have a nice shiny roof and no swirls.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Thanks a lot guys. I'm #ting bricks over here because it's not my car, it's my brothers. He let me take it to clean it for him because I wanted to be nice. Now #s messed up.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

How about fitting a vinyl roof?

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

If the other suggestions don't work, maybe a clay bar will get things smoothed together again.

Red and purple are the most expensive of common car colors so the paint is sometimes as thin as 4 microns.

A clay bar and a little elbow grease might find the primer instead...

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Was this an inexpensive repaint, or had the clearcoat just worn off? Sometimes people use stuff like dish soap to wash their car, which eats clearcoat away like it was nothing.

Modern, unleaded paint on a car without clearcoat is almost like having no paint at all.

I would recommend starting with a good car polish (not wax) - follow the directions completely, THEN wax it. With no clearcoat especially, there's probably all kinds of impurities stuck to/in the paint. The wax is probably just sticking to the impurities in the paint.

Polish will remove it, wax will protect it afterwards. Good luck!

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
90+ percent isopropyl alcohol and a gentle cloth.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Yeah, I would try the alcohol and rag like someone said. Maybe try a heatgun/hairdryer + rag when hot.
Not a lot of shortcuts to polishing.
It's really easy to do and if you are in the US, Harbor Freight has the cheap hookup on the high speed polisher and compound.

This is a very good vid of the polishing process with good tips.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Red and purple are the most expensive of common car colors so the paint is sometimes as thin as 4 microns.

I protected myself with might.... Any time I say that it's advised people research 😂.

I did make sure you could do it without a clear coat tough, and it can be kosher, though variables like you pointed out could make a difference.

Also, stop giving me reasons to like you so much lol. Girl knowing about cars and s###, come on. KansasGirl has a run for her money when it comes to my ATS crush.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I protected myself with might.... Any time I say that it's advised people research 😂.

I did make sure you could do it without a clear coat tough, and it can be kosher, though variables like you pointed out could make a difference.

Also, stop giving me reasons to like you so much lol. Girl knowing about cars and s###, come on. KansasGirl has a run for her money when it comes to my ATS crush.

~blushes~

I took a few courses in paintless dent repair when I lived in Oklahoma because of all the hail there.

Made a decent living doing it as a second job in hail season.

I committed the sin of popping a dent, having a dimple left and hitting it with a stone to flatten it.

I found out the red car had a pink undercoat.... blah.

So I had to poke it back in, fill the crater with touch up paint, stone it down, use clear touchup, stone it down, polish and... I lost a day.

So I don't have a problem sharing with others my screw-ups in the hope it helps...

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I used to live in Texas, hail (tornado) season is something else.

Worse comes to worse with a dent though you can sand to a recession and bondo then try again.

My step dad has an auto body shop, he cheats though. He can take multiple pictures with different lighting and a computer program will auto mix the match paint.

If you have to do old scoop, it helps to have scrap metal with similar adhesions to do samples on and match before you apply to the subject. 😜

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

top topics

join