It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix Original: Russian Doll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:55 AM
link   
"Dying is easy, it's living that's hard"

Well, what an absolute gem!
I binge watched the whole series Friday night, and let me tell you, this is one of the best pieces of TV I've ever seen.

While Nadia's character can be overly grating to begin with to the point of being off putting, the whole thing works because of the way she is. At the end of the finale everything ties up and delivers a heart wrenchingly beautiful bit of story telling.
So beautiful that it actually made me cry, which is strange because I'm unfeeling and emotionally retarded, or so I thought. Then again, maybe that's why it struck such a chord with me...

Groundhog Day meets David Lynch. I cannot recommend this enough.

edit on 10 2 1919 by Ruiner1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I just finished it as well, though I spread it out over three nights so as to not rush it. Shows like this one I like to take time outs to reflect on how I would react in such circumstances as well as considering the reincarnation ramifications

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Ruiner1978

I watched the first season of Iron Fist which was great. Second season awful.

I almost done with the 3rd season of Travelers. It's kept my interest.

Russian Doll is next on my list.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I thought Russian Doll was pretty good. The story and concept were first rate and it was definitely thought provoking. My main complaint is that it seemed to normalize sexual promiscuity and drug use and was crude for my taste.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
My main complaint is that it seemed to normalize sexual promiscuity and drug use and was crude for my taste.

But isn't sexually promiscuity and drug use a normal, every day thing for some people? It certainly was for Nadia.
Easy devices to highlight her self destructive behaviour, essential for the story.

She wouldn't have been a very good "Lady with the Deathwish" if she was teetotal and turned down unprotected sex with strangers now would she...
edit on 10 2 1919 by Ruiner1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I thought Russian Doll was pretty good. The story and concept were first rate and it was definitely thought provoking. My main complaint is that it seemed to normalize sexual promiscuity and drug use and was crude for my taste.

you thought that was crude?

damn man
have you not watched anything on TV for the last 20 years?

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   

they seemed like totally normal people to me

thats how people are man

its fun to think about all the things you dont know about people you know things about.

# goes deep man

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

they seemed like totally normal people to me

thats how people are man

its fun to think about all the things you dont know about people you know things about.

# goes deep man

I agree.
Not sure that I fully understand the other member's complaint. Perhaps they meant something else by "normalise" as normalisation is relative to one's experience, world view ect.

I mean, did Breaking Bad normalise drug manufacturer and distribution?
Did The Godfather Trilogy normalise organised crime and violence?
Were the horrors of war normalised by Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and Saving Private Ryan?
Did Irreversible normalise rape and revenge murder?

I don't think so...

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ruiner1978

My main complaint is that it seemed to normalize sexual promiscuity and drug use and was crude for my taste.

But isn't sexually promiscuity and drug use a normal, every day thing for some people? It certainly was for Nadia.
Easy devices to highlight her self destructive behaviour, essential for the story.

She wouldn't have been a very good "Lady with the Deathwish" if she was teetotal and turned down unprotected sex with strangers now would she...

Exactly. We got a whole picture of this woman as she chased her way through her own potentialities. How she was and why she was and what she could do about it once recognizing how all those patterns of her life had not brought her the happiness she wanted, how all her short term vices were products of her deficient childhood. Getting out of herself and helping someone else was her key, as it could be for so many of us.

new topics

top topics

join