It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wages of Sin, and God's Pink Slip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I do a lot of thinking when I walk, and so I went for a walk this afternoon and thought about that famous verse about the wages of sin being death...and another.

When I got home, I tracked it down on the www by way of Biblehub. It's Romans 6:23, as follows, "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

This is one of those times when proper grammatical English doesn't sound right, as it really should say, "...the wages of sin are death...," but I noted that almost all translations use "is." Whatever, it is just amazing that God's free gift overrules our wages, our proper payout for what we have done. I like to pair verse 23 with verse 7 for the complete thought:

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord...For he that is dead is freed from sin." So, first you get the wages (death) and then you get a "pink slip" from your job of following sin. Note that verse 23 says our wages for sinning are death - NOT an eternity in Hell.

There it is - another reason to doubt Eternal Conscious Torment in Hell - if we are truly freed from sin when we die, how is it that we are going to be sent to Hell? God forbid!

edit on 21-12-2018 by Lazarus Short because: dum de dum

edit on 21-12-2018 by DrumsRfun because:
  • The use of ALL CAPS

• posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:20 PM
    link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short
    I like to pair verse 23 with verse 7 for the complete thought:

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord...For he that is dead is freed from sin."

N.B. From the context of v7, that death is the death of "having been crucified with Christ".
    Compare, say, Galatians ch5 v24

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:17 PM
    link   
    oooo, can I play?

genesis 2:17

…16And the LORD God commanded him, “You may eat freely from every tree of the garden, (17)but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil; for in the day that you eat of it, you will surely die.” (18)The LORD God also said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make for him a suitable helper.”…

So there we were sitting in the garden of eden with eternal life, bored out of our minds. No pain, no decay, no entropy, nothing.

Then we were given one of the greatest gifts in this reality, death. All we had to do was eat a fruit and then we would know right from wrong and the choice of either, wisdom. We were also given mortality from which to escape the never ending boredom of eternal bliss.

How long can a person sit in eternal bliss before it becomes meaningless with nothing to contrast it against? Now we have memories that will last for eternity so we can actually appreciate.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:34 PM
    link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: Lazarus Short
    I like to pair verse 23 with verse 7 for the complete thought:

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord...For he that is dead is freed from sin."

N.B. From the context of v7, that death is the death of "having been crucified with Christ".
    Compare, say, Galatians ch5 v24

Yes...if you are crucified, you die. If you are figuratively crucified with the Christ, you die to self, with the promise of resurrection and transformation.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:34 PM
    link   
    a reply to: ClovenSky

And how many people live miserable lives?

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 12:54 AM
    link   
    a reply to: Lazarus Short

your god is pretty useless.

hes supposed to be all powerful, controller of the universe, yet allows millions of kids to die of starvation or whatever.

i have no use for that god.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 07:39 AM
    link   
    a reply to: ketsuko

Probably 60-70% of the population. Who is responsible for their misery? Themselves or external influences?

Should the time and effort it takes to be miserable be wasted? What is free will?

Why are we here?

new topics

top topics

join