It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody else rooting for the Cylons in Battlestar Gallactica?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
First off, I'm not crazy. I know the Cylons are the "bad guys" and all, and eventually the hu-mons will win or there'll be some compromise, but...

They are just so much cooler. Tonight's episode with the cylon interrogation (beating) and the culmination of all that Cylon psychobabble and their monotheistic religion versus the polytheistic hu-mon pagans, etc. just makes them soooo much more sympathetic as misunderstood Grendel type characters.

Whatever the intent, and there is intent, it's well done. The narrative is evoking purposeful cylon sympathy, always showing them in an overexposed light (of enlightenment) and the fracking hu-mons as disorganized, purposeless, bickering... almost pointless beings.

A scourge actually, that should be wiped from existence.

Maybe though I'm not just the President of the Cylon fan club, I am a Cylon.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Normally I do route for the alien or robots that want to wipe out humanity...seeing as how I think we're a plague. In this case no....these Cylons remind me too much of fundamentalist christians. Their crazy religious talk would annoy me. I love the new series, but I kind of miss the old clunky Cylons. The animal-like space fighter was also a dissapointment. I was hoping there'd be a tin-head in there.

I do wonder what "god" the worship. Since the humans strangely seem to believe in the greek pantheon. I also wonder when this is supposed to be taking place because in the old series it was long ago. This series looks like it takes place in the future.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Normally I do route for the alien or robots that want to wipe out humanity...seeing as how I think we're a plague. In this case no....these Cylons remind me too much of fundamentalist christians. Their crazy religious talk would annoy me.

Very true.
The sci fi tradition of anti-religious themes is carried to the exteme here.

But somehow I like how annoying they are. And they're much more mysterious than Jerry Falwell or Gou'lds or Siths or Q or any of the backwards civilizations encountered in Star Trek.

They have a secret yet to be revealed. I like their existenialism too. They "are God" in a way. And are about to start cross breeding with humans.

And they're so flawed. Perfectly so. I like the ones that don't know they're Cylons. Nice Matrix nod.

You're right on this one being vastly different from the original too. I wouldn't be surprised by anything at this point. Like Adama being a cylon?

It'd be a hoot if everyone is a cylon, and the "bad guys" are just the good cylons trying to stop the rogues from reaching Earth. A bit too much though I suppose.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
i honestly think the conflict will go on till the last season of the show. in the last season the humans will possiply beat the cylons. you have to remember with no cylons you really cant have a show.

i hope they dont dork it up with races of alieans. and if they do they better not make them all humanoid like they did in the start trek shows.

GO COLONIAL FLEET!

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
You're right on this one being vastly different from the original too. I wouldn't be surprised by anything at this point. Like Adama being a cylon?

Yeah, the Adama being a Cylon thing kind of caught me by surprise. It didn't surprise me nearly as much as the president ordering him to be blown out of the airlock. That lady's a tough old cookie. I don't think Adama's really a Cylon though, the "guy" was just trying to mess with her mind.

As to whether or not they should introduce aliens.....I'm kind of mixed. I really like aliens, but it might get silly. Maybe they can do something a few seasons from now.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
As to whether or not they should introduce aliens.....I'm kind of mixed. I really like aliens, but it might get silly. Maybe they can do something a few seasons from now.

I almost don't want to see it go on that long. It'll get blisteringly stupid and predictable if not an outright mockery of itself by necessity like the first one did.

Right now it's a drug. They're closely following the new drama format perfected by "24" with 5 increasingly stressful 7 minute vignettes (and 5 mind numbingly long 5 minute commercial breaks) building to the final "cliffhanger" per epsiode.

I'l tire quickly. The only way to keep that kind of thing going is ala "Melrose Place" style of self mockery (which Star Trek did rather well and Stargate does as high art). I like the serious nature of BG. Would hate to see it become just like everything else.

Just inside joke after inside joke... I blame Spielberg and the "Indiana Jones" trilogy for all that. Why did it have to be snakes, bugs, rats...

And yes, I think about this stuff way too much.

Available for media research executive position Oct. '05 - any city.

Hulllo Viacom/Spike/Comedy Central and USANetworks/Sci Fi... Hulllooo

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hmmmm.....if you were talking about the 70's TV series I'd have to say no because I just love Richard Hatch as Apollo. Now this new series, I say the Cyclons should just destroy the entire universe. I'm not really the biggest fan of the new reimagining at all.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I've seen to the end of the season.

No, it doesn't get old. It gets mroe interesting as characters change. The last five minutes of Kobol's Last Gleaming part 2 will surprise everyone. Lotsa twisted relationships, with everyone limping along. I can't wait for teh new season to come out.

DE

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   
DeusEx.

Last night's vision revelation was cool for Madam President.

And I'm liking the cylons even more.

The one saving the guy in cylon occupied territory, the one helping the Doctor know he's an instrument of God...
It's all so twisted.

But I know killing that base and getting the trillium wasn't really a good idea, just unavoidable. And Blondie Cy did help.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
You know, it seems to me like the Cylons are helping the humans. Like they're not actually trying to wipe them out, but instead are herding them somewhere. It's like they're following some plan....fulfilling prophecy perhaps?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Did you notice that Boomer (Caprica) is showing the signs of 'morning sickness'?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Good point Flinx.

"This has all happened before."

Originally posted by William One Sac
Did you notice that Boomer (Caprica) is showing the signs of 'morning sickness'?

And YES I did!

I just want that Blondie Cy chip in my head. No muss, no fuss. Rawr.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I think that Boomer is my favorite character on the show. I'm getting antsy for the second season already. Did you notice that in "Water", her left hand was yellow?

DE

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I just want that Blondie Cy chip in my head. No muss, no fuss. Rawr.

Until recently I assumed that Baltar was just crazy and there actually wasn't a chip in his head. Recent events have changed my mind....

But yeah, I'd love to have a chip like that.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Is it just me, or is BSG the best show on TV since....well, The Shield? I mean, stupendous twists in teh plot, great character development, great props and set, and super-fantastic FX? OH, and the music (RE: End of 'Hand of God') has so much variety and is just...wow.

I'm going to say it... this si better than Firefly. I'm buying the DVDs as soon as I can.

DE

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
I'm buying the DVDs as soon as I can.

DE

I hear you! I am really enjoying the show. I cant wait for next week. I like Boomer, I was blown away tonight when Helo figured out she was a cylon.

I hope the two- two hour premier specials come out as well on dvd.

The last I heard they had started production on at least 6 episodes for season 2. The waiting is going to be a killer.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
you mean....

this?

DE

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
SWEET! Its coming out Tuesday! That is awesome, thanks.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Reminder for tonight:

Stargate SG1 season finale,
Atlantis Season Finale,
Part 1 of BattleStar Galactica Season Finale

And I have no clue what's going on in Andromeda, but the new robot is purty.

Here's to the best night of GEEK TV EVER!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Oh. My. God.

Moebius was HORRIBLE.

On the other hand, Kobol's Last Gleaming kicked an awful lot of ass. Didn't see a few things coming, my first time around. And this time, I picked up a few more details. Supar-fantastic.

DE

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join