It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Verify

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

Are the farmers doing 1099's for seasonal employees? Are they doing W-2's? Are they contracting our to 3rd party employers? would have to know how they are contracting this labor.

If you are doing a W-2 then E-Verify takes about an additional 30 seconds. Not a big administrative burden.

If you are paying folks more than $5K (last I checked) then it should be reported to the IRS in some form. Either way, it should show up on the farms income taxes (if incorporated) or the individuals income tax is sole proprietor status.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JasonBillung

It would take about another 30 seconds to check if you can legally work in the US. No big administrative burden.

Bull$h1t... the buck doesn't stop with your little web portal dude.

You do know that SSA has lost over 10,000 filed office workers in the last 15 years because of congressional budget cuts, don't you?

Yeah... that had everything to do with budget cuts and not just the simple fact that the job sucks and nobody wants it.

And yes, I agree that many Americans do break the law to make money. Drug dealers, pimps, etc. And the many criminals who knowingly hire illegals. Feel better now?

That right there is why I got you on being in a cushy office doing IT. You're the one out of touch with the ground level of immigration. Far more illegals are mowing lawns and trimming trees than raping and murdering others.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I've seen businesses pay to bring people illegally, place them into properties they own, illegally deduct rent from their paycheques and basically have themselves a group of slaves that don't technically exist who have no idea what's even happening.

Do you report this criminal activity? Asking for a friend (in the IG at SSA...)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

Sounds like you are against upholding the laws of the US, and that you really want to discuss something other than the merits of E-Verify.

I am sorry if you are mad at folks who work for the SSA. I find them to be hard workers who are paid commensurate with their education and abilities. You do know that most have college degrees, and work in an air conditioned environment behind computers, right? Like, 21st century workers do?

Have a nice afternoon.
edit on 22-10-2018 by JasonBillung because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

it should be mandatory for employers to use, but it should have a few extra features. Like making you enter the nationality the employee picked. That way, the employer wouldn't be responsible for identifying fraud, just using the system as advertised. If Sam Smith, who used to be a red haired guy from Irish roots, suddenly identifies as Hispanic, then the system would offer him a "NO", and flag it for attention. Not that my example is in any way representative of real events.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JasonBillung
I am really wondering why we don't enforce the E-Verify system.

I think you should work as a poll worker. Contact the political party of your choice, and ask them for training. The easiest job (and most fulfilling) is the clerk. Being an election judge means shouldering a lot of responsibility -- you can observe better as a clerk.

I'm a judge for this upcoming election.

Before you go spouting off about who can vote and how and when and where, you might like to get the facts and get first-hand experience at all the checks and balances already in the system. Go through a cycle or two.

THEN come up with ideas on how to improve it.

Being a poll watcher tells you nothing. It all looks very different when you're there on the front lines. I can say this with confidence, knowing how the "big picture" all changed for me when I worked as an election judge on the last election.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Wrong. I'm saying that maybe your software doesn't have the merit you think it does...

...and as one of the technical purveyors of the project I'd encourage you to reflect on your own design and see what might be wrong or not quite as simple as you make it out to be about the process as a whole.

I really do applaud your efforts, and I think it's a good idea, but sounds like to me you are too invested in your own product and can't recognize it's potential pitfalls.

As I already said... the buck doesn't stop with your "yes" "no" or "dead" designation.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Like making you enter the nationality the employee picked. That way, the employer wouldn't be responsible for identifying fraud, just using the system as advertised.

Interesting thought. I do know that some ethnic information is collected by SSA, however, it is not mandatory. I think that the E-Verify system is not perfect, however it might be a good start in trying to figure out how to really solve our immigration problems in a logical way. We have to start somewhere, and if folks are coming to the US to work, we should use the tools that currently exist to manage labor.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

I got paid for the E-verify system 10 years ago. I really don't have any involvement in it now, and no point of pride in ownership the system. It is secure, and I did not secure it. The security came from a different group of folks. I was a project manager who did an IT job that was pretty simple. Really, it was pretty easy money. I actually stress tested it on a laptop. The current version is running on an IBM Z-series mainframe that can handle about 100,000,000 transaction per hour.

If you can figure out better ways to do E-Verify, I encourage you. We can all do better. I suggest that my point in this post was to raise awareness of a system that is not well known or used, and that we as US citizens might get a benefit out of using a system we paid for.

The E-Verify system is far from perfect, but it does exactly what it was supposed to do - verify that a person's name, SSN and DOB are on file with SSA. That is what was speced, and what was delivered. If you would like enhancements, I suggest you contact DHS, SSA or your representatives. I would be glad to do the additional work at a fair price.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Like making you enter the nationality the employee picked. That way, the employer wouldn't be responsible for identifying fraud, just using the system as advertised.

Interesting thought. I do know that some ethnic information is collected by SSA, however, it is not mandatory. I think that the E-Verify system is not perfect, however it might be a good start in trying to figure out how to really solve our immigration problems in a logical way. We have to start somewhere, and if folks are coming to the US to work, we should use the tools that currently exist to manage labor.

I am all for making sure our borders are protected, and those who are here illegally, have deterrents in place to encourage them to either get legal, or GTFO. I think the process needs to be easier. If they want to be here, super, pay taxes just like me. And as an employer, I sure don't want to loose everything I worked for because I wanted to save a few hundred bucks a month.

But this line of thinking isn't aligned with the bleeding heart liberals. It's mean to those who break the immigration laws.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Protecting boarders is tough. I used to live outside International Falls, in MN. There is Rainy lake, which is a huge open waterway. No way you could patrol it. Just too big. I used to fish in Canada all the time, and you never knew what country you were in. This was in the 1970's.

However, I think most folks come to the US to work, and make a better life. Fine. Just do it legally. We should not let people hire illegals, and then treat them like crap, and hold their status over their heads. So, find a way to make sure workers are legal. Then, when we can't find enough workers in some jobs, we can get to work on a program to import workers in a legal way.

This just makes sense, but until we crack down on folks having illegal jobs, I don't see how we are ever going to solve the problem.

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I've seen businesses pay to bring people illegally, place them into properties they own, illegally deduct rent from their paycheques and basically have themselves a group of slaves that don't technically exist who have no idea what's even happening.

Ya...and it was fairly well known around town. It's still going on though...nothing ever came of it. Actually, that guy owns even more property there now. He's one of the biggest business owners in the town. It would have been, around 2009-2010 he replaced the last of his staff with illegal Philippino workers...
edit on 22/10/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Ya...and it was fairly well known around town. It's still going on though...nothing ever came of it. Actually, that guy owns even more property there now. He's one of the biggest business owners in the town.

Good for you.

Followup here:

SSA IG

DON’T IGNORE FRAUD. SPEAK UP. Do you suspect someone of committing fraud, waste, or abuse against Social Security? SSA’s OIG Fraud Hotline takes reports of alleged fraud, waste, or abuse

Reporting is easy, safe, and secure. You can reach us by internet, phone, mail, or facsimile. Internet: Fraud Reporting Form U.S. Mail: Social Security Fraud Hotline P.O. Box 17785 Baltimore, Maryland 21235 FAX: 410-597-0118 Telephone: 1-800-269-0271 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time TTY: 1-866-501-2101 for the deaf or hard of hearing. Note: If you cannot reach a representative on the Fraud Hotline between 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, you can report Social Security program fraud directly to any Social Security office, including representatives at the SSA’s toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. SSA employees will take your information and send it directly to our office.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Most of them would pass E-Verify, thousands of identifications are stolen every day and sold on the dark web. Even the IRS looks the other way when illegal immigrants file tax returns with other peoples ids. www.washingtonexaminer.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79
Most of them would pass E-Verify, thousands of identifications are stolen every day and sold on the dark web. Even the IRS looks the other way when illegal immigrants file tax returns with other peoples ids. www.washingtonexaminer.com...

See my post above. Be a good American and turn criminals in.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Sounds like more BS for citizens to deal with, but not those "intended".

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I worked in a few different fast-food chains and restaurants as either GM or DM for about a decade. I was in charge of ALL hiring and paperwork processing. I can tell you 100% for a fact I know I hired illegals that had obtained someone's SS number. I could always tell by the tax status claimed, either exempt or claiming 10 dependents. I never had a single person show up ineligible from e-verify.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79

See my post above. Be a good American and turn criminals in.

The IRS is the government agency in charge of prosecuting tax fraud. They already have all the info they need. They have decided doing their jobs violate their personal beliefs and even bragged to the media that they're just not going to do it.

It's a good thing the IRS doesn't do anything important like wedding cakes, otherwise the country would be outraged.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Protecting boarders is tough. I used to live outside International Falls, in MN. There is Rainy lake, which is a huge open waterway. No way you could patrol it. Just too big. I used to fish in Canada all the time, and you never knew what country you were in. This was in the 1970's.

However, I think most folks come to the US to work, and make a better life. Fine. Just do it legally. We should not let people hire illegals, and then treat them like crap, and hold their status over their heads. So, find a way to make sure workers are legal. Then, when we can't find enough workers in some jobs, we can get to work on a program to import workers in a legal way.

This just makes sense, but until we crack down on folks having illegal jobs, I don't see how we are ever going to solve the problem.

Any thoughts?

just that I agree.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join