It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else watching SNL tonight????

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I pirate everything

That would be a great song title.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

But you're probably helpless against that Taco Bell commercial mmmmm

SNL hasn't been good in like 2 decades.

I do love me some tacos....wait, was that my toxic masculinity?

I apologize for my Male dna.

Do you believe that there is a level of Masculinity that is toxic? I think the same way that Feminism can be toxic also.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
SNL has never been as funny as it used to be.

I think what I mean is that it's always had it's ups and downs, right from the beginning.
The first year, I think a lot of the humor was due to shock value. That was pretty groundbreaking.
If you've ever seen the Chevy Chase/Richard Pryor job interview sketch, you'll see what I mean.

How could you possibly break that ground again? lol

There were some seasons, I think when Lorne Michaels was not producing, that were mostly horrible.
But I usually still watched. It's old habit really.

Now I watch on "On Demand"...so I don't irritate others...

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Farley wasn't a cast member when he passed. He left SNL in '95 and was in films for a couple years when he died in '97.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

I pirate everything

That would be a great song title.

Well I wouldn't call it pirating, I borrow from friends newer movies if they are worth seeing. Otherwise I have a lot of old DVDs I prefer to watch.

Much less catchier of a song title though.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

Farley wasn't a cast member when he passed. He left SNL in '95 and was in films for a couple years when he died in '97.

Sure, still relatively the same cast "era" and I did add to the statement of will Farrell leaving.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Phil Hartman was a sad one too, though he was gone from SNL in '94 and died in '97. Not sure if he's been mentioned in this thread.

SNL has some glory years. Back in the day half the movies Lorne Micheals produced for the alums were good too.
edit on 21/10/2018 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

It's crazy watching Newsradio and seeing all the jokes about Bill McNeil (Hartman) dying or being killed.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   
SNL sad, failing and miserable? You don't say?!

I have not watched SNL for ages. I won't even look at their clips on YouTube. I remember when they were funny. My brother and I used to stay up late on Saturday nights to watch them. Back in the seventies.

Now? No, I will not be watching SNL tonight. Or any night. Ever again.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I miss the good ol' days of SNL!

It used to be a really funny show.

Turned it off forever about 20 years ago.

Sad.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Groot
Stop watching SNL a few years ago, occasionally popping in to see if it had gotten better.

It hasn't.

I miss the old SNL , started watching in my teens when it first came on,
on a black and white 13 in tv in my bedroom.

I was going to star you until you said you had a TV in your bedroom. I hate you now.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

I haven't watched it for a while now. Their humor got a little to involved in politics revealing their true intentions, and don't get me wrong, political humor can be funny, but after a while it is just pathetic. Are they getting any better? They do need some new talent. Another Will Ferrell, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Chevy Chase, Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, Kristen Wigg, , Amy Poehler, and the list goes on and on. Who do they have now? I don't even know.

I dont think they'll ever get anywhere close to any of those people ever again.

But they'll keep pushing on, and reaching a very specific audience while spiraling into obscurity.

I think you're wrong. I think there are plenty of people out there with the potential to be that funny.

I think the problem is the current PC climate and political climate. You can't actually be funny without worrying about whom you might offend and whether or not the angry Twit/Social Media mob will show up to lynch you for it. Once we move past that ... then those really funny people can come out of hiding. Who knows? SNL might actually have some on cast pretending to be true believers and throttling their natural talent for the sake of career preservation.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
So says the viewer paying the bills — capitalism at its finest. Check mate.

Huh? I just switched off a movie and am watching a few minutes of the only over the air channel my antenna gets.

Check mate indeed.

I pirate everything I watch, not a dime in the last decade.

So when you say pirate you are basically says you are stealing?
I'm not a big fan of overpriced tv anyway but I protest that by now paying.

Theft is theft

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: Groot
Stop watching SNL a few years ago, occasionally popping in to see if it had gotten better.

It hasn't.

I miss the old SNL , started watching in my teens when it first came on,
on a black and white 13 in tv in my bedroom.

I was going to star you until you said you had a TV in your bedroom. I hate you now.

Like I was 14 years old then . LOL ! I have a 42 in lcd tv in my bedroom now.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
So says the viewer paying the bills — capitalism at its finest. Check mate.

Huh? I just switched off a movie and am watching a few minutes of the only over the air channel my antenna gets.

Check mate indeed.

I pirate everything I watch, not a dime in the last decade.

So when you say pirate you are basically says you are stealing?
I'm not a big fan of overpriced tv anyway but I protest that by now paying.

Theft is theft

I have Netflix, an over the air antenna and anything that seems decent enough to watch I borrow from friends, so pirating is the wrong word. I certainly dont contribute financially to any Hollywood films directly(no theaters or blues ray purchases).

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sure, there are good funny people out there, unlikely snl will want anything to do with them. But I think that was your point.

I certainly dont think funny people stopped existing at any point, but "mainstream" comedy shows just dont want them anymore, snl more so than most.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Doesn't everyone? We even have one in our master bathroom (good for watching the news in the morning)...(just small, up in the corner of the room, but it's handy, especially during storm season)

And in the kitchen, so you can watch a show while cooking, etc. (especially cool if following an online recipe, etc.)

Of course, we stream everything (or just use the digital antenna, we cut the cable cord a while back).

SNL is very hit or miss. Though highly liberal, occasionally they poke fun at them too. Sometimes, the political humor is on point. For example, the skit after Kavanaugh was confirmed....man, that had me laughing hard...

And of course, those with Kristen Wig, she's a riot. Alien Abduction one...destined to be a classic.

Even some of the celeb ones. Heck, this one where Kylo Ren is an Undercover Boss, sparked a meme that is still cosplayed at ComicCons to this day...

edit on 24-10-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-10-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join