It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Follow-up: Rosemount (MN) educator resigns after 'kill Kavanaugh' tweet

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
DBC is right people.

Come on.

Yall are making the gun control argument for speech.

Blaming a thing for the action of an individual.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Calling for murder is more like inciting violence than free speech.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Calling for murder is more like inciting violence than free speech.

While it was in poor taste, and could be considered hate speech, it is nothing more than what others have written on the pages here.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

And that's not free speech either. Asking for someone to murder someone is never free speech.

Saying I wish someone was dead is more how I think about what you describe.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

And that's not free speech either. Asking for someone to murder someone is never free speech.

Saying I wish someone was dead is more how I think about what you describe.

I must disagree.

It is free speech. It is heated, political free speech. Just look at history!

Damn! They used to tear into each other!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: LSU2018

Eye for an eye. Roseanne was released by ABC for free speech that was nothing like this grammatically challenged educator's words.

That's a perfect example of how free expression has become politicized.

I think it was a valid action if she pulled the school into it in some way. For eaxmple, if her Twit feed had the school's name on it somewhere, then her views could be construed something the school somehow endorses.

It's all fun and games until your place of work is pulled into things.

The other thing is if they investigated and found out that she was bringing her views inside the classroom or if there were complaints about it. Teachers should not be teaching their politics to students or enforcing them either way, especially if we're talking young kids.

The other thing is that we are reaching a time when there are certain elements in this country who will use any means necessary to remove their political opponents, and the only way to stop them it seems is to make them bear the brunt of their own tactics. Appealing to their sense of better nature doesn't work or doesn't seem to be working. Right now, they live on emotion and the only thing they seem to understand is when they feel bad.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

But we don't know if she influenced her work with her ideology.

Sure it would be a legitimate approach to fire her if she was not doing her job.

But I don't think it is appropriate to fire someone for having different ideas.

One of my Gunthers is a rabid Hillary fan boi.

I may beat him, but I beat all my employees equally. It would be wrong of me to fire my Gunther just because he has a Hillary Pink Hat and cries when CNN says something insightful.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I dunno. I'm having a hard time with this one. I believe in free speech, but I'm thinking saying, "Who is going to take one for the team and kill Kavanaugh" is very much like yelling, "Fire!" in a crowded theater. Saying something like, "It's a tragedy Kavanaugh was confirmed because he's an idiot." is one thing, but inciting violence is another. Once you threaten someone, that is technically assault. (Battery is when you actually harm someone.) And if you are in a publicly visible position, you incur the wrath of those who pay your salary. She does have free speech, and she also has consequences.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Tweets by twits have consequences. She was allowed to resign so she can find another job and poison other young minds.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I would like to take a moment and commend all the posters here in this thread for actually having a civil conversation on this topic. There were no name calling or other derogatory personal remarks. the discussion (to date) has focused only upon the issue. That, IMO, is worthy of praise from me (for what that's worth, at least I want to recognize the effort).

So, thanks for keeping this discussion civil and on-topic.

edit on 10/11/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I totally agree that bad jokes and/or hate speech should not be grounds for punishment. However, this woman tweeted:

"So whose [sic] gonna take one for the team and kill Kavanaugh?"

First of all, she's a teacher and can't even use the proper "who's"? WTF?
Second, she's openly calling for someone to take one for the team and kill BK. That's got to be an incitement to violence at least, which is not protected speech.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Apparently you didn't read very far because she resigned rather than having to be fired from the school district. So nothing actually happened to her, except we're now all talking about her.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I thought I'd cross-post a related new thread posted recently here on ATS. It is one in which a conservative person threatened to kill the Democratic senator Diane Feinstein. Now, I am DEFINITELY no fan of hers, and openly will resist her positions on the 2nd amendment. However, I refuse to condone violent threats upon her life as a solution.

Man charged after threatening to kill Feinstein

<< 1  2  3   >>

join