It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plattsburgh AFB

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I work for the Government, and in the mid 1980s I worked in electronic physical security. We developed and tested electronic security sensors and systems for some of our nations most sensitive and vital resources such as a big blue jet at Andrews, a presidential retreat in Maryland, and yes, our nation’s nuclear arsenal.

During this time I spent the better part of a year on Plattsburgh AFB installing the security system around the F-111s. I also did work at other bases where we were dispatched to fix particular problem that was being caused by a combination of two occurrences – one being open cavities underground (such as caverns or tunnels) and the other being something best left unidentified that caused problems with the security system. Only three bases had this problem in the US. Plattsburgh was not one of them. I can tell you that the unnamed second ingredient does exist in the Plattsburgh area, so IF there was a vast underground facility on the base, it would have been subject to the same problems we worked on at the other three bases. Since one element was there with no problems resulting, I can say with confidence that there was nothing underground or our system would have reacted to it.

Plattsburgh was a great place – but like most places I went to back then I was too busy working night and day to see much of it. I’d love to go back and really see all I missed.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
i'm from plattsburgh, much much more than five hours north of the city, if you don't have the location right, what could you know?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
couldnt say for sure since I have never been there. according to google maps it is 312 miles from one to the other and would take approx. 5 hours 20 min. to make the trip. sounds like he was pretty close to me.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Great, reading all of this makes me want to go down there and take a look.

Maybe on the way there I'll stop by the abandoned half-way house that we have right before the American border. It's an amazing place.

[edit on 29-4-2007 by Weirdoradio2]

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Hey everyone, I've always been interested in how it was being assigned to PAFB in the 1980's. I spend 6 years in the Vermont Air National Guard and grew up in Burlington, VT. I use to see those large gray KC-135 tankers fly over the lake.

Is there anyone on here who was stationed at Plattsburgh in the 1980's? I would like to hear how it was. What kind of music was popular back then, and was it nice living on the base??

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Oh, another thing, were the pilots arrogent in the 1980's? I know most F-16 pilots are to this day. But did the pilots back then drive around the base on their motorcycles wanting to be the next Tom Cruise in TOP GUN. I could see the FB-111 pilots being so. What were the clubs like back in the 1980's?

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
www.plattsburghinternationalairport.com...

Caught this on the news last week. Looks like the old AFB was turned into an airport that will start flights in a little less than a week.

Hmm...

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by billyeddie
i'm from plattsburgh, much much more than five hours north of the city, if you don't have the location right, what could you know?

uh, if you google earth the base, my house is literally less than a mile from the flightline...it takes me about 5 hrs. to get to the city, and i've done it a million times...i guess i don't really understand what you are attacking with your post...as stated in my original thread 4 years ago now, i was asking if anyone had ever heard this and could validate it...I have never claimed it was gospel...

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Fascinating thread!

I'm from Ohio originally and have moved to Vermont about two years ago and am living in Middlebury. Just recently a few nights ago, on Thursday night, I saw a very bright, non-blinking star coming from the north or northwest direction...hovering perhaps. I had suspicions it may have been a UFO.

There was no way it could've been a planet because the "bright star" was'nt there the next night. The glow ebbed a bit.

Very interesting sighting I had. Could anyone confirm this? EDIT: I think PAFB might've been related to this incident or the Burlington Air National Guard base.

Thanks.

[edit on 17-6-2007 by Sanctum1972]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I was looking at Plattsburg intl airport, and noticed a 747 with an engine missing sitting on the tarmac.

Did it fall off in flight?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
That's probably where the Pratt Whitney section is.

Cuhail

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
I was looking at Plattsburg intl airport, and noticed a 747 with an engine missing sitting on the tarmac.

Did it fall off in flight?

There's another one missing all four engines. If the engine on the one you noticed fell off in flight it would have been all over. Most likely it was just an engine removed for a much more mundane reason.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
i'm pretty sure the google earth is outdated; that 747 was sent to PAFB for rework by a foreign airline called air dabia. while in the barn the airline decided they just wanted to abandon it; it would cost too much to fix. it sat on the flightline for years before being disassembled and auctioned.

prior to being purchased by air dabia, that particular aircraft was reportedly an american airlines bird that had a door open in flight, sucking some passengers out.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I lived in NewYork State my entire life and always caught interest in the former Plattsburgh AFB.I live within three hours of the base and having also been there and visited it myself to check it out.As far the Atlas silos this link seen shows a home made of out it.Beautifully done might i add silohome.com I also had interest in the former nike sites as well located throughout nys in certain larger cities.
NewYork state has lots of ufos sitings in the middle to latter 80's with large black triangler and boomerang shaped craft down near the hudson valley.Take note also the movie and abduction case Communion took place in the Adirondack Mts of NewYork.credit goes to paranormal project.Beginning in 1983, residents of the Hudson Valley area of New York and nearby Connecticut started seeing strange UFOs described as larger than a football field with multicolored flashing lights. The object seems to take on a boomerang or triangle shape. Most witnesses reported the UFO was a solid object made up of some type of very dark, gun-gray colored material.

At the peak of its activity, the object was seen by at least five thousand witnesses that included police officers, scientists, and people from all walks of life. All said that the silent, slow-moving UFO was something that they had never seen before and could not be identified.

Most of the reports from that area seem to support the idea that the flying triangle was extremely large, silent and very low. Most of the estimates place it around 500-800 feet above the ground. Local police were baffled by the sightings. State police said that the sightings were caused by nothing more than a group of stunt planes flying in formation. The FAA official at Bradley International Airport would not confirm or deny if they had anything on radar but insisted that the sightings were most likely a hoax with a hot air balloon. However, many people who saw the object said that the explanations didn't fit. As one building inspector in the Hartford area said: "This thing about balloons and aircraft is a lot of crap.

There was also a group of sitings located by Fort Drum armybase UFOs INTERVENE IN OPERATION DESERT FOX - Large triangular UFOs were seen in Iraq and upstate New York before and during Operation Desert Fox.
On Thursday, December 16, 1998, at 2:31 a.m. local time, "a triangle-shaped pattern of lights" appeared over downtown Baghdad and was picked up by CNN's night-vision video camera.
According to the Boston Herald, Fort Drum, the U.S. Army post in upstate New York, was a staging area for the four-day Operation Desert Fox.
Three weeks earlier, around November 30, 1998, MUFON New York received reports of triangular UFO activity over Evan Mills, N.Y. and nearby Perch Lake, just west of Fort Drum. (Perch Lake reported heavy UFO activity.) "A teenager spotted a craft over Evan Mills... clip..
Steve's Note: I have heard of 6 reports, thus far of a large triangular shaped UFO flying due north, five times near Ithaca, on once just north of Ithaca, (Norwich, NY).
Ft Drum is due north of these sightings, and on a direct line of the direct they were flying. The above report was a major media story from 1998, and combined with these other sightings gives support for the idea that the US military has in its possession large triangular shaped "UFO's" that were not only used in Desert Fox, in Iraq, but are currently being used by the same people in upstate NY and the surrounding areas, and are apparently located at, (or near) Ft Drum, in upstate NY.
Just some cool information i hope u dont mind i added.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by p

I was stationed at PAFB for 11 years as a Security Policeman. There are NO sub-levels under the runway.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I lived at PAFB from 1966-1968 on the Old Base. I never heard about any of this. And, I would have been interested. We just had our 40th PHS reunion last week and no one mentioned this - base kids or town kids!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I live in one of the refinished base housing units on the old PAFB. I've been here for a few years now and have noticed several blue Ford Bronco type vehicles that cruise the back roads of the base. Talking to some people I learned that apparantly these are a private security group hired to watch over the several buildings that still occupy the land.
A few years ago we had an earthquake that hit early in the morning, which was strange because there are no faults in Plattsburgh. There was much talk that it had been a large explosion from the underground facility. I imagine if there is an underground facility, the entrance must be a distance away because I have driven every road on this base and have never noticed any possible entrane or exit from an unseen structure (unless it is in one of the many abandoned buildings)

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I was stationed at PFB from 1983-1987 and had a top secret clearance, worked on FB111A's. Here is what I know!

1.) There is no 18 level underground facility under the runways or anywhere else.
2.) There is a hardened underground "Alert Facility" maybe 3-5 levels where Air Crews and maintanance people stayed on 3-5 day shifts to respond quickly to threats. There was also a "War Room" located within this facility.
3.) They had many nuclear weapons stored opposite the main runway for use on the FB111's. We frequently would have exercises where we would load the weapons on the aircraft.
4.) A select few Maintanance and Flight crew were assigned to the Black programs during the 80's which turned out to be the creation and testing of the Stealth Aircrafts out in the Nevada deserts. I had a close personal friend who was part of this program and he would leave base without word and be gone for a couple weeks then return and could not say where he had been! We never knew what he was up to until long after the Stealth program was officially announced.
5.) There was always talk of UFO's around the base, but my personal feelings were that people were seeing the FB111's flying low with all lights low or just using there "Night Lighting". If a FB111 is coming up on you in a glide you won't here the engines much at all unless the pilot powers up a bit!
6.) To the person who stated there were only 7-8 FB's operational and the rest were "can birds"! Not in the 80's my friend, There were three flights of FB111's (Blue/Red/Yellow). Each was noted on the planes vertical tail by a horizontal stripe at the top of the tail in the color flight it belonged to. Each flight had at least 10 birds assigned to it. Out of the ten birds assigned you could have no more than 3 birds in phase dock or being used as a "can bird" (parts plane). So that would leave 7 birds active and ready to fly per flight, 21 birds minimum ready to fly at any time. Ths was a requirement that we had to follow per command! If we fell below that number we would get a #load of heat down on us from SAC command. And the base commader would be fired for sure.

I loved my time at Plattsburgh, it was by far the best time of my life although at the time I didn't think that way. I remember many nights out on the flight line in the middle of the winter -40 degree temp trying to fix the old Ardvark to have it ready for the flight crew in the morning! I hated it then but now that I look back it was truely a unique experience!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Hello all. I am the President and Founder of a local paranormal research team. We are being granted permission to investigate the base for spiritactivity soon. In my research preparing for that investigation, I found this thread. All interesting, and many rumors I have heard before. Any one who was stationed there have any stories to share? Please e-mail me at [email protected] or at our website, NNYPRS Thanks

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I was also stationed at P'burgh during the 80's.

I can remember never having more than one or two cann birds and we always had 20 FMC (flyable) jets in addition to the 7 or 8 on the alert pad.

Not only is there no evidence of a "secret underground facility" on the base, there wasn't even a rumor of one when I was there.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join