It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria To Withdraw from Lebanon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Syria says it is willing to withdraw its troops from neighbouring Lebanon, after fifteen years of effective military occupation.

Amr Mussa, the head of the Arab League, said that Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian President, had assured him this morning that Syria was prepared to fulfil its obligations in the Taef accords that ended Lebanon's civil war in 1995.

Syria's change in stance, after ignoring years of international diplomatic pressure, comes as the Lebanese people themselves turn on their Syrian occupiers, blaming them for the assassination last week of their former prime minister, Rafik Hariri.

Syria says it will withdraw troops from the Lebanon

Interesting that this has not been covered or mentioned. Perhaps I missed it posting somewhere, but IMHO, this is 'big' news. (I just saw it posted in ATSNN).

'When' is obviously the next question for no immediate date has been set by Syria or Assad. It is though, encouraging news.

Thoughts or comments as to Syria's mention of withdrawing from Syria? Will it happen? When? Why? Do you agree with this?

seekerof

[edit on 21-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Thoughts or comments as to Syria's mention of withdrawing from Syria? Will it happen? When? Why? Do you agree with this?

Syria is going to withdraw from Syria?

YES!!! That was easy. Now on to Iran!!

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
For once, a moslem leader is taking things serious. I don't think Saddam ever took George W. Bush at his word, if Syria actually withdraws from Lebanon. It will clip Georgie's wings for a time, but it is like having your manhood cut off. So, all you guy out have to realize how hard it is to admit that you helpless to defend yourself. A foreign power can over fly your country with impunity.
FEAR IS THE MOTIVATION, and the image of Saddam and the spider hole. It probable make Assad wake-up in a cold sweat. It is a message we have been giving the world, power is all that matters.
This message isn't going to disabuse anyone around the world from getting armed to the teeth. Example, what would have been a small Chinese shopping list of European Arms, with Japan and US pressure, is going to be huge. The historical fear of a Imperial Japan , will make China accerlate purchases of Russian and European arms. It going to be christmas, GEORGE BUSH IS PROMOTING DEMOCRACY, AND FEAR AT THE SAME. The first half of this century will see more arms purchase than anytime in modern history.
I may have meandered about, but my point is that country no longer have any real control over their own history, borders or economy. We do.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
For once, a moslem leader is taking things serious. I don't think Saddam ever took George W. Bush at his word, if Syria actually withdraws from Lebanon. It will clip Georgie's wings for a time, but it is like having your manhood cut off. So, all you guy out have to realize how hard it is to admit that you helpless to defend yourself. A foreign power can over fly your country with impunity.
FEAR IS THE MOTIVATION, and the image of Saddam and the spider hole. It probable make Assad wake-up in a cold sweat. It is a message we have been giving the world, power is all that matters.
This message isn't going to disabuse anyone around the world from getting armed to the teeth. Example, what would have been a small Chinese shopping list of European Arms, with Japan and US pressure, is going to be huge. The historical fear of a Imperial Japan , will make China accerlate purchases of Russian and European arms. It going to be christmas, GEORGE BUSH IS PROMOTING DEMOCRACY, AND FEAR AT THE SAME. The first half of this century will see more arms purchase than anytime in modern history.
I may have meandered about, but my point is that country no longer have any real control over their own history, borders or economy. We do.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
One main question to what Syria has indicated was 'when.'
According to Chirac and Bush its:
Bush and Chirac in Brussels demand the "immediate withdrawal of Syria from Lebanon"

Obviously, 'when' still remains to be answered by Syria.
No response from Hezbollah to be found on this matter yet.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Assad Sr. signed off on this withdrawal back in... well, ages ago.
Syrians will leave Lebanon when the U.S. leaves the Balkins.
Saying they're leaving is simply a ploy to disarm the protests.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Realist05:

Syrians will leave Lebanon when the U.S. leaves the Balkins.

Please specify, but your reference to the U.S. in the Balkans also included NATO and the Europeans, as well?
Furthermore, are they not there under the U.N. banner, unlike Syria being in Lebanon? Is Syria in Lebanon under the U.N. banner?

seekerof

[edit on 21-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I, also, am skeptical. I remember driving through beirut and coming to a lebanese army checkpoint, and then coming to a syrian one 50 meters down the road. Its like the syrian army is doubling up the lebanese people's inconvenience.

However, this is at the least encouraging news.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Nah,I don't think the Syrian President is scared or anything like that.I believe he sees a bigger threat which is,none other, the U.S.Doing what they did,I believe it is a smart and strategically clever maneuver.They're just probably regrouping their Army for the predicted U.S led invasion of Iran and subsequently Syria.

However,from a political perspective.Many would say that he is scared that the U.S could use the reason of Syria's military occupation of Lebanon to destroy the current Syrian government.I think is a great possibility because the Syrian could be seen as oppressors of the Lebanon citizens in the occupation area.Therefore,this COULD justified U.S military action against them too.

top topics

join