It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houghton floods

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I guess we should expect some flooding down stream on the Muskegon River, considering Houghton Lake is the river's source. We just got the Hardy Dam pond up to level after some work they did on the dam recently. Shold be here in 5 4 3 2 1 !

Houghton is in the UP. Houghton Lake is in the LP. Forgot about the UP again didn't you.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I admit I had to think about that for a minute.
'Tis a bit confusing.

Although today heavy rains will be moving south.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
More links on this sites sidebar on the right.

UP Floods

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The destruction looks worse than the earthquake damage in Japan and Guatemala combined.

Looks like the rain may have triggered something, it just seems unusual that the whole town just collapsed like that.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Beautiful country up there ... I would urge anyone that never has been to the Upper Peninsula to do so .... You can bet those roads will be fixed fast.... Yoopers are a resilient bunch !

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I guess we should expect some flooding down stream on the Muskegon River, considering Houghton Lake is the river's source. We just got the Hardy Dam pond up to level after some work they did on the dam recently. Shold be here in 5 4 3 2 1 !

Houghton is in the UP. Houghton Lake is in the LP. Forgot about the UP again didn't you.

Ah, thanks for the correction. You know how us trolls are down below the bridge, you guys live in another world to us.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Ah, thanks for the correction. You know how us trolls are down below the bridge, you guys live in another world to us.

Well, they call us yoopers because we yoop it UP. That usually requires alcohol or coffee.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
The destruction looks worse than the earthquake damage in Japan and Guatemala combined.

Looks like the rain may have triggered something, it just seems unusual that the whole town just collapsed like that.

Liquification. When you have energy and water and salt, it is a setup for liquification. To dampen it you need calcium. They put salt on the roads and there is no calcium in asphault. They use mostly salt nowadays, before they used a lot more sand. I personally think they are going nuts with the salt up here. They spread it on the highways and it just freezes when it is real cold making black ice. The old people who used to run the road crews knew about this, but the new people running the counties are more worried about sand tracking into their house. I think they should haul in some retired county people to teach the new workers, school does not teach you what some of these old guys know.
edit on 18-6-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

YOu think it is excess salt buildup?

It also looks like the worst wash outs are going downhill.
That is a hilly part of the UP?

Most/all of my UP experience involves Highway 2, and Iron Mountain.
Twenty+ years ago.

ETA
more info/pictures
www.theweathernetwork.com...
edit on Mon Jun 18 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

YOu think it is excess salt buildup?

It also looks like the worst wash outs are going downhill.
That is a hilly part of the UP?

Most/all of my UP experience involves Highway 2, and Iron Mountain.
Twenty+ years ago.

ETA
more info/pictures
www.theweathernetwork.com...

Salt is a catalyst, it is an electrolyte when mixed with water. through electrolytes energy flows. Salt water conducts electricity better than fresh water.

From the article "Sea water conducts electric current about a million times better than pure water" www.answers.com...

I don't know if it is a million times as this article says, but salt water conducts current a real lot more than fresh water.

So with the salt in the gravel, the energy created by the flowing water is conducted down farther in the ground and excites the sand and soils and even rocks. This kind of lessens the bonds that hold the ground together. So the soil becomes more liquid like and flows when excited, or as in quicksand, the more you struggle and give the sand energy, the more you sink. It actually does have similarities to how salt works in our bodies, conducting energy throughout our bodies.
edit on 18-6-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join