It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Saying Origins

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I kind of remember the wake one but didn't know about the monkey one. Thanks! Also, I went ahead and looked up the difference between Mafia and mafia. I just wanted to know which was which for sure:

Technically, the Mafia (upper case) is the original Sicilian Mafia, but as far back as the 1890s writers used “mafia” in a broader, less precise sense. Incidentally, “Mafia” is not what they call themselves. That was a term used by outsiders and meant “bully,” “thug,” or someone who’s flashy and ostentatious (because that’s how they dressed in those days). It was a slang term common to Palermo and was applied to local gangsters. The insider term that members used for their organization was Fratellanza or Fratuzzi, along with a number of locally used names. Fratellanza means “Brotherhood” or “Fraternity,” and Fratuzzi means “Little Brothers.” They also used La Società Onorata, or “the Honored Society.” ...

Most of the websites compared Mafia to Mob..I had to go to the comments to find that reference. Thanks!

a reply to: TNMockingbird

There's quite a bit of them that come from the bible. Kandinsky's link shows a ton more that are nautical related (and, it looks a lot nicer. lol). A couple that I never would've thought were Bible related were Apple of my eye and A Broken Reed

The quiz is real

I just know it is!

a reply to: angeldoll
My grandma used to say that one a lot! Probably one of the reasons why I was so scared of her! lol. Thanks for the comment!

a reply to: TinySickTears

Very sorry kind Sir. The link is inside the quote. The 3 little lime green dots at the end. Like so

I started doing that a while back and forget to tell people that's what they should look for. Thanks for the question and comment!

a reply to: donktheclown

Nobody it to be beaten...ever! lol. Thanks for giving me a heads up...I won't be using rule of thumb ever again. Thanks for mentioning that one!

a reply to: baddmove
Very nice of you to catch TinySickEars question and provide a link. Much appreciated!

Thanks to everyone again for your thoughts and comments.
blend

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57
That was interesting.

I got wise soul in the quiz as well
I’m alwanys using old sayings.
🐣

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: blend57

Yep, I'm a wise soul...

Having your ears tickled or wanting to have your ears tickled. (2 Tim 4:3,4)
edit on 29-3-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Great saying.

We'd call it confirmation bias and false consensus today. There were some wise folk back then and the Bible's full of their sayings.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join