It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1521500005&sr=1-3&keywords=sapiens+a+brief+his tory+of+humankind+by+yuval+noah+harari

Human history has been shaped by three major revolutions: the Cognitive Revolution (70,000 years ago), the Agricultural Revolution (10,000 years ago), and the Scientific Revolution (500 years ago). These revolutions have empowered humans to do something no other form of life has done, which is to create and connect around ideas that do not physically exist (think religion, capitalism, and politics). These shared “myths” have enabled humans to take over the globe and have put humankind on the verge of overcoming the forces of natural selection.

has anyone read this? reviews?

i just put this on hold from the library. pretty excited about this one

Ive heard Bryan Callen mention this a few times. ive read other things based on his recommendation so i am hoping this is good.

got really good reviews.

anything is appreciated

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

A student gifted this book to me but I haven't had the time to read it yet. She thinks I will love it, and I probably will! Let me know if you do end up reading it before me!

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1521500005&sr=1-3&keywords=sapiens+a+brief+his tory+of+humankind+by+yuval+noah+harari

Human history has been shaped by three major revolutions: the Cognitive Revolution (70,000 years ago), the Agricultural Revolution (10,000 years ago), and the Scientific Revolution (500 years ago). These revolutions have empowered humans to do something no other form of life has done, which is to create and connect around ideas that do not physically exist (think religion, capitalism, and politics). These shared “myths” have enabled humans to take over the globe and have put humankind on the verge of overcoming the forces of natural selection.

Ive heard Bryan Callen mention this a few times. ive read other things based on his recommendation so i am hoping this is good.

got really good reviews.

anything is appreciated

I read this. The author is easy to read and makes complex ideas easier to understand. Cool thesis. This is a good read if you are interested in anthropology and intend to read several books to get an overview of humans.

I am currently reading "Long Survivor" by Chris Stringer about how h sapiens are the only job is to survive.
edit on 19-3-2018 by DogStarIn1066 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: TinySickTears

A student gifted this book to me but I haven't had the time to read it yet. She thinks I will love it, and I probably will! Let me know if you do end up reading it before me!

will do

they had 56 copies so it should be to me in the next couple days. im going to start it as soon as i get it

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

got really good reviews.

anything is appreciated

It looks like the writer is saying, is that the vast majority of us have that 'bad' thing called empathy for the human condition....ultimately.
Nothings perfect though, too many abuse the systems to the point that even the systems become wrong. It's like that today, even after years and years of people seeking their rights as individuals, as much as human beings et al, there are still power mongers who try to take it all away, covertly.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
My feeling about the book is the human evolution started much earlier. Especially the cognitive revolution.

All you have to do is a little research to realize we, as humans , came about alot earlier that what is published.

For example....

The ancient people exchanged volcanic glass and pigments, traveling long distances, which suggests that more than 320,000 years ago there was already a kind of social networking between our ancestors which was spread throughout the African continent. A large-scale analysis of tools recently found in different parts of Africa demonstrate that the style of their creation had changed dramatically about 320,000 years ago, which is indicative of the early emergence of mankind, as evidenced by the theory of African "gardens of Eden," according to an article published in the journal Science. These tools show an ongoing exchange between the ancient people which brought them together even as they lived at great distances from each other. It serves as an indicator that human species emerged unusually early and were widespread.

sputniknews.com...

edit on 19-3-2018 by Groot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It’s very interesting with neat ideas about the history of humankind. Would recommend.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Does he get into the revolution that we're currently experiencing? The communication revolution? Did I make that up?

Sounds like a cool book.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
Does he get into the revolution that we're currently experiencing? The communication revolution? Did I make that up?

Sounds like a cool book.

A little bit. He does so more in his new book, Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
What about the Frickin industrial revolution? The scientific revolution wouldn't be possible without it.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Stromth

I think you’ve got it backwards. The scientific revolution began with Galileo in the late 16th Century while the Industrial
Revolution took lace from the late 18th to the mid 19th century and was built upon concepts of modernization that were precipitated by the science and philosophy stemming from minds such as Galileo’s.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

My comment was posted for the fact that scientific instruments need to be mass produced which is only possible because of the industrial rev. Either way though the book missed the industrial

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Stromth

My comment was posted for the fact that scientific instruments need to be mass produced which is only possible because of the industrial rev. Either way though the book missed the industrial

No, my friend, back in the day, those instruments were home made, not mass produced. Maybe made by the local craftsman by direction of the person experimenting.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Sigh... a scientific REVOLUTION would be when it becomes an INDUSTRY... and to support that growth, it needed to be mass produced. Are instruments home made nowadays? No because way too many people need them. You really think all the scientific discoveries we enjoy would be possible without the industrial revolution? Could your computer be hand made? No... it cant. Nowhere did I say that science was impossible without industry... only that the true revolution was.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
i just started today. about 40 pages in.

very good already. this is going to take me a while to get through because i will need to stop every so often and have a think about what i read.

the social constructs and imagined reality he is touching on is fantastic.

how things like human rights and corporation really dont exist. we just made them up

fascinating

new topics

top topics

join