It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The other day i did something that surprised even myself .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

All of our grocery stores have those. You can still donate straight to the Harvesters barrels, but the pre-made bags contain items the food pantry specifically needs and knows they will use and use a lot of. Usually, you can get bags ranging anywhere from $10 to $25. The checkouts also have little coupons for monetary you can pull off and have them scan for donation amounts too.

They really bend over backward to make donating easy. That's why I say one way or another we never run under budget on our groceries.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
there is a saying i like...' charity is not for the sake of others'.

you feel good, so much so that you felt the need to tell others how good you are.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

You never know how much someone might need it.

On my way to the airport in Phoenix, AZ to my flight back home for good to Boston, there was a man who was in military uniform on the exit ramp with a sign; I’ll never forget the look on his face. It was hot as hell, and I couldn’t bare the thought of him not being able to eat or hydrate.

I had exactly $20.00 left, after selling my car on Craigslist, paying off debts, airline tickets. My stupid ex, was screaming at me as I handed that man the 20.00 out the window.

Fast forward 3 years later, I am living paycheck to paycheck, barely making the bills, and I stop for gas. I have the oil checked and it’s empty. My debit card had been stolen, wasn’t getting paid til the next week.

Just as I’m heading back to work, I find a 20.00 bill right on the ground next to my car door. Quick check around, nobody in sight.

You did a nice thing. Wish more people were the same!

edit on 4-1-2018 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

You did a nice thing. Wish more people were the same!

Nice thing or the right thing , i know it was the right thing for me . I dont know what made me turn around bit i am so glad i did .

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

The Right thing

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It’s never a bad thing to help those in need. Unfortunately not everyone is in a position to do so. Even a cup of hot coffee can can work miracles in the spirit of a homeless person.

There are shelters for these souls but are often overfilled.

I have in the past , when approached for money by people on the street , directed them to organizations that feed anyone coming through their doors. A healthy hot breakfast as well as lunch... everyday of the week.

It’s difficult to do that at times when they ask for money... but when you see they are twitching out or obviously drunk , it feels like you may be saving their lives instead of giving them money for their addictions.

I’ve had some homeless indiviuals walk away with a contemptuous attitude after I’ve given them money, like somehow I had personally owed it to them for years. That leaves a bad feeling, and has made more careful on who I give aide too.

This does not mean I won’t help homeless in some way .. I recently sent a good chunk of Christmas money to someone homeless in New Jersey, who I felt was sincere and was very appreciative.

I wish I could help more often, but I am poor 😕... so one can only do what they can.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok

Should have offered my extra room and bath for the night

A difference though, between kindness, and putting yourself in danger.

Regardless, it'd still be a stranger in your house, who could rob you, or worse, and you would have put yourself in that position. Can't let emotion override common sense. Much as we'd like to trust people....

We are all going to die. If someone takes your life that is on their record if you try to help someone that is on yours.
People are so caught up in living as many years safely as they can. life is about learning to love. There is more than this physical life.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
there is a saying i like...' charity is not for the sake of others'.

you feel good, so much so that you felt the need to tell others how good you are.

This is very true... it does make the giver feel good... and that is part of the gift of giving.

I think it’s better to give without receiving recognition, and God blesses the anonymous giver. That being said it’s not so terrible to tell others how a good deed made your day, if it inspires others to do so ,with your story.

I would like to add that in my view charity begins at home with family. If you are giving lots to charities ( for deductions).. or even helping homeless ... when you have beloved family members going to food banks, and perhaps a few weeks away from being homeless ... I think your priorities are a tad scewed.

Just saying ...🤔

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thanks OP. There is hope for humanity.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join