It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Society Implement Thought Crime Laws For Paedohiles.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The op has asked about Implementing Thought crimes, to catch predators who prey on children, pedophiles.

After giving this careful thought the answer has to be no.
The reason for this is both complex and simple. The first is that there really is no way to tell what a person is thinking. To do that would be in the area of metaphysics and that of telepathy. The internal workings of the brain is still a mystery and ultimately still in short new science.

But there are other things that should be taken into consideration. The first is that how does one determine what a person is thinking? Law enforcement who works on these kinds of crimes, even people who watch the news and hears of crimes like this, have such on their mind, would they be found guilty as well? And what if the person had mental health issues, and random thoughts about such, then what, do you throw them in jail as well? Ever had to deal with anyone who had dementia? They display behaviors that are often quite odd, and out of the ordinary and often can be scary and sad, do you arrest them cause they have no self control?

And then you come to the next problem and that is the exploitation of this law. The Op suggests it to arrest people for thinking of such now, what is to stop say a politician from exploiting this and expanding it to other areas? What if it is one that wants to remove all political opposition, would that be ok? How about other crimes, like theft or rape or any one with say a gun or any other socially unpopular opinion or action then where does it stop?

The final part that we should consider and this is how much more privacy are people willing to give up? Cause ultimately that would be the full invasion of privacy. We already give up much of such through our everyday lives, but to give up thoughts, and if the develop a way to read peoples minds, to have real telepathy, it could cause far more problems than the benefits are worth.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
NO!!!!
As they always need some thing the people
would vote for to Get things started.
Then they could use it to add other laws.
then more and more!

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: sayzaar

To be honest i think that someone who thinks the way that you do is just as scary.

Let me see if I understand you correctly here...

Someone like myself, who wishes to separate self confessed paedophiles from society, is “just as scary” as the paedophiles openly calling for reduced age of consent and admitted deviant urges about the children I wish to see them separated from?

On what Planet does that make sense?

The fact that you would do this just to pedophiles and not those that have murderous thoughts or rapists of adults shows you not only have an incredibly narrow mind but also a disturbing one...

No, you are incorrect on both of those rather insulting accusations.

All it shows is that I brought a specific discussion to the forum, and everything you said is an invention of your own mind.

...possibly obsessed with pedophiles ?

What is that supposed to mean, exactly?

What lead you to post this thread ?

What leads anybody to post a thread?
Usually it’s to discuss things.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

First I have no problem with you posting this thread

Bouncing ideas is how we advance as a society.

Hiwever, I do think this is a bad idea.

The slippery slope argument is a givena so I won't focus on that.

Let's say this plan goes on to effect.

Immediately the amount of self admitted people atracted to children would almost all go underground.

Then you have the question of what to do with mental health professionals trying to help these people.

Do they have to out these people?

Now pedophiles or potential pedos will be afraid to seek any help and go underground, which would most likely lead to more kids being attacked.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

That’s actually something that has instantly caused me to reconsider what I would have seen as a solution.

You’ve given me many things to think about now, Grambler.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: Grambler

That’s actually something that has instantly caused me to reconsider what I would have seen as a solution.

You’ve given me many things to think about now, Grambler.

Thanks.

I've known a lot of teenaged victims of abuse (etc) who go on to ideate about sex with youngsters. It's imprinted by the abuse as the means of attaining physical affection.

No more needs to be said.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join