It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A comment about the sexual allegations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
So I don't follow it all that closely, but I was chatting about this topic the other day with a friend. Among several things that I was throwing around one thing I mentioned was how all these allegations seem to be VERY old. Now I don't know the exact time frame for the limitations on criminal charges, or if it varies greatly from state to state.

However my comment was that all of these seem old enough to skirt by being either available for or forced to prosecute criminally. So they have all the impact and effect, effect being ruining someones career, without having to actually be under the spotlight of the criminal justice system.

I'd think that all these pervs would have some more recent, and criminally chargeable, assaults or rapes that would actually merit some looking into criminally?

Unless it's something they "grew" out of, which I find is a ridiculous assumption. I could be wrong, but it seems all the ones I skim here are pretty old, so I'm sure someone will point me to a newer allegation and possibly one that is being pursued criminally.

Also, another thing we agreed on is how while the lack of due process is a concern, the majority of the public is "fine" with this drive by allegation career destroying procedure. The reasoning is of course because these are all horrible people, rightly horrible or perceived by the majority of the public. I'm sure most of your average people view politicians/celebrities with some level of disdain. Either for their actions, perceived personality or due to their high social/economical standing. It's funny, because they've created the perfect weapon, but it was pointed the wrong way. I'm sure in the coming months this will continue to tear through every corridor of the entertainment, political and corporate system. Most people will just sit by and watch, content in the "knowledge" that these people deserve it.

Personally, I think they are all trash, but even trash deserves to be treated fairly. That's what america is supposed to be about.

Note:
I'm not commenting, or wishing to discuss in any way the situation regarding the accusers or the validity of their accusations. Just the data surrounding number of accusations and the duration of time they fall under, or the secondary comment about the average persons views on the process.

ETA:

Sorry that got long, and was more of a ramble.
edit on 15-12-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

You should make a chart on which ones are old versus which ones are new. I'll bet most of them are fairly recent.

And all trash? Hmmm good luck with that.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I share your concern. Seems like "innocent until proven guilty" has been thrown out and replaced with social media likes/dislikes.

When accused of something horrible, it is easy to jump on the bandwagon against that 'horrible' person. But what if the accusation is false? That's why we have a justice system.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

It's dirty politics.
Character assassinations and social engineering.
Attention grabbing shock journalism.
15 minutes of fame.
Etc etc etc

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluesjr

I share your concern. Seems like "innocent until proven guilty" has been thrown out and replaced with social media likes/dislikes.

When accused of something horrible, it is easy to jump on the bandwagon against that 'horrible' person. But what if the accusation is false? That's why we have a justice system.

Did you see that recent episode of The Orville where they came across a planet similar to modern Earth but instead of a criminal justice system they'd have a global vote on if someone deserved to be punished or not?

I think if you got 10 million down votes you were found guilty.

They'd let you go on TV to defend yourself and everyone would up or down vote you in real time.

It was the best episode of the series by far and it makes some really great criticism and commentary on the direction our social media craze is going.
edit on 12/15/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Another step towards idiocracy

Black Mirror had a similar episode (S3, EP1)

In come cases I'm happy that taxpayer money isn't being wasted researching the deeds of some of these scumbags but it's also bothersome that anyone can randomly accuse anyone with 0 accountability.

This being a "trend" also falls in line with the snowflake/millenial mindset of some. Instant results from a more formalized complaint.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Seth McFarlane does from time to time have a pretty good eye for poking fun at society. Sadly I see him regurgitate(in humor) some attempts at "serious" political commentary that tows the current hollywood narrative.

Still, when he's right he's right, south park was maybe a bit better at this.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit

Another step towards idiocracy

Black Mirror had a similar episode (S3, EP1)

In come cases I'm happy that taxpayer money isn't being wasted researching the deeds of some of these scumbags but it's also bothersome that anyone can randomly accuse anyone with 0 accountability.

This being a "trend" also falls in line with the snowflake/millenial mindset of some. Instant results from a more formalized complaint.

Gossip has always been massive.
And it's always been negative and detrimental to happiness of everyone involved.

It's just that with our social media technology, and the way the MSM plays into it hardcore, it has been exacerbated and thus the power of gossip grows exponentially.

Kinda scary actually because I'm not sure how Defamation laws will catch up.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Seth McFarlane does from time to time have a pretty good eye for poking fun at society. Sadly I see him regurgitate(in humor) some attempts at "serious" political commentary that tows the current hollywood narrative.

Still, when he's right he's right, south park was maybe a bit better at this.

Yeah I agree totally, especially with your observation that South Park can achieve it a bit better.
I actually find that there is some fairness involved too, for example South Park will poke at both the left and right and make some great commentary.

At least that's what I member.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
My wife and have been discussing this alot recently. Both are in agreement that if the sexual abuse/harassment was so serious - why did many wait 5-15 years to do/say anything about it?

Sharks are the ocean, if you don't want to be chewed on- don't go in the ocean.

Or... Get chewed on, then sue the dolphins for not protecting you...

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I mentioned was how all these allegations seem to be VERY old.

Sorry that got long, and was more of a ramble.

Well, you need to understand how the adult develops, and what that adult becomes interested in as he ages.

For the most part, people become interested in politics after male menopause, i.e. after they are already 50 years old.

Of course, there are always a few exceptions. Younger men and women going into politics. But, usually, the normal state of things, is that the person is middle age or older when they get serious about politics, and/or at least when they are able to advance to some important position.

On the other hand, the male sexual drive peaks at 18 years old, and is on the decline by the time he gets to 50.

So, most of the "indiscretions" by politicians, will naturally have occurred in their "younger days", when the hormones were more active. That's not to say, that the older men don't try hard to keep that fantasy going, like Hugh Hefner. But, for an old man, it's more about show and appearances.

This is basically why most of the sexual harassment claims are about what "now powerful men" did "decades ago".

The hormones peak at 18, and power comes after 50.

That's the natural order of things.

So, the women wait, until the men have climbed high enough, to take a big fall, before coming forward. That way, they figure, they'll do the most damage. You'd think that after decades, people would forget. But, the women don't, because they didn't get what they wanted, and need to punish the men who took "advantage" of them, taking without giving them what they wanted in return. If the men had married the women, there'd be no complaints.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

So, in your contention, the women don't want justice, they want revenge?

That isn't what the American justice system should be about either - realizing women's revenge fantasies.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So, in your contention, the women don't want justice, they want revenge?

That isn't what the American justice system should be about either - realizing women's revenge fantasies.

They can't get justice. The deed was done, and long ago. All they can get is "payback". They are satisfied just knowing they caused the fall of that powerful man. That makes them happy.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Two wrongs don't make a right.

new topics

top topics

join