It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants can count the mounting evidence that plants are conscious

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

No, I haven't but will look it up. Reminds me of the film Phase IV in which ants suddenly develop a collective consciousness. Weirdness ensues.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

That, with respect, is nonsense. Grass, each individual blade thereof, when either mown flat, or chewed upon by animals, sends out a chemical scream, a warning to its fellows that they are under attack. That is the smell you get when you mow, or when animals eat it.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

That, with respect, is nonsense. Grass, each individual blade thereof, when either mown flat, or chewed upon by animals, sends out a chemical scream, a warning to its fellows that they are under attack. That is the smell you get when you mow, or when animals eat it.

Do you have peer reviewed proof or evidence of your statement TrueBrit or are you stating what you believe in?

Thanks in advance

Warmest

Lags

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Well, the claims are something I recall from a program of some years ago now.

Heres an article which cites a particular scientist as making similar statements.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

What with respect is nonsense..

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Well, the claims are something I recall from a program of some years ago now.

Heres an article which cites a particular scientist as making similar statements.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Thanks for your input TrueBrit.

Unfortunately Texas A and M Agrilife are not a recognised scientific institute (they are private with money to make) who I would not trust for peer reviewed material.

The article you provided was unfortunately not peer reviewed either.

ETA: Actually the article has been peer reviewed and was published in Plant Journal.

Let me get back to that tomorrow as have to go right now and will be back late.

But I understand and respect your opinion.

Warmest

Lags
edit on 21-11-2017 by Lagomorphe because: I am crap

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Plants love us unconditionally?

Poppycock.

They don't mind us eating them? Utter rot.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

plants cannot love as they lack the hormone secreting gland which produces the chemical we have linked to the emotion of love
plants are conscious to an extent in that they communicate with each other but I doubt they have feelings otherwise that would have been pretty obvious that by now plants would have developed better defenses to fight against hordes of animals and humans eating them over millenia

wouldnt you agree ?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

With regard to plants developing defences to prevent them being eaten, the list of plants which are poisonous or toxic to humans and animals alike, is actually very extensive. Some plants, while not specifically toxic, have defence mechanisms like the spines on a cactus, or sharp thorns, others have leaves which are themselves tough and spiked on their edges, and some even eat insects and small mammals. Others still output unpleasant smells to dissuade attention from curious interlopers.

Simply put, the perception of plants as these passive, harmless things, which just beg to be uprooted and consumed, is entirely a product of the fact that most of the plants that your average person comes across in their day to day existence, are of the variety which have been grown and bred for generations specifically to be as digestible as possible, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, and the like. But in reality, a huge abundance of the worlds plant life is simply not fit for eating, specifically because it has adapted over millions of years, to kill, damage, or inconvenience, those creatures which might see them as potential sources of food.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Plants love us unconditionally?

Poppycock.

They don't mind us eating them? Utter rot.

Poppies have stamens... not cocks!😜

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: thesaneone

Murderer, have you no shame

Plants love us unconditionally . They dont mind us eating them.

I think you might be right about this

Life in its entirety is about balance, from the largest universal scale down to the smallest.
The reason plant love us unconditionally or accept that we eat them, is because beings of balance know that to maintain balance you cannot allow yourself to be judgemental or have an oppinion about how things are "supposed to be" or what is bad or good.

Things just are and that is well... which coincidentally make us the least balanced race of beings we know of so far.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: flice

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: thesaneone

Murderer, have you no shame

Plants love us unconditionally . They dont mind us eating them.

I think you might be right about this

Life in its entirety is about balance, from the largest universal scale down to the smallest.
The reason plant love us unconditionally or accept that we eat them, is because beings of balance know that to maintain balance you cannot allow yourself to be judgemental or have an oppinion about how things are "supposed to be" or what is bad or good.

Things just are and that is well... which coincidentally make us the least balanced race of beings we know of so far.

The question is... do plants accept that we kill them to eat?

Bring it on vegan friends with a proper argument!?

#plantsnthongatyettppcumt

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Pffffthahahahahahaha!

Oh.....

Well done sir, bravo! HAHAHA!!

You funny bugger you!

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Pffffthahahahahahaha!

Oh.....

Well done sir, bravo! HAHAHA!!

You funny bugger you!

I had to mate.

When was the last time you had a bacon butty?

Don’t lie or I will not invite you to a cafe next time I’m in the UK!?

Warmest

Lags

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   

if we argue that plants have awareness in that they are conscious beings like humans , its illogical to do so because plants lack the relative brain chemistry to hold complex thoughts which result in the ability to accept or reject emotional states derived from environmental feedback.

Plants cannot love unconditionally , they do not have the higher brain chemistry they lack the physiological organs and organelles to have higher brain function like humans.

Plants cant accept we eat them as they do not have the ability

as for plants being deadly etc to avoid being eaten by humans , this is more of a natural adaptation to their environment rather than a conscious choice to evolve poison or spikes to stop being eaten as they dont accept it.

So to conclude a vegan couldnt even logically argue that point because the objective fact is that plants cant think like humans

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Wow...Now that i've watched the TED talk...Just wow....I dont know what else i can say here. Thanks for this!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join