It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would happen if you had 2 vacums and 1 was in the other an you opened the inside one up??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
what would happen if you had 2 vacums and 1 was in the other an you opened the inside one up?? so the vacum is introduced to another vacum??

would nothing happen?

would something happen that could produce energy?

Has anyone tried it?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
They would proabably repel because equal forces are being put on each other creating an airpocket in between them. Causing an opposite force to seperate them.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Since it's a vacuum nothing would happen. No substance to transfer from one to another, no pressure change, no nothing. I'm sure you could easily come up with something to try this using a three liter and a one liter pop bottle.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
your overall vaccum pulled in the main chamber would be reduced by a fraction based on the total volume now exposed to the main chambers vaccum.

ie inner chamber has a vaccum of -5 bars and is half volume of the main chamber on which you have pulled a static -10 bar vaccum. Then when the inner chambers opens to the main chamber the volume of the inner chamber is now introduced into the main chambers volume and since the inner chamber was pulled to only -5 bars then the main chamber would be reduced by half the difference in the two vaccums IF the inner chamber was also half the volume thus the main static vaccum would now be -7.5 due to the extra volume introduced by the inner chamber

if the inner chamber was pulled to the same vaccum (-10) and opened to the main chamber which was also (-10) there would be no change or drop in total vaccum pulled. It would remain at (-10) bars.

The same thing happens with positive air pressure the total air pressure for the chamber would drop based on the new volume of space that was opened up (only if there was a pressure differential within the second chamber) if the second chamber was at the same pressure and you opened it up inside the main chamber then there would be no net change in air pressure. Since both pressures equal each other. Just like moving the shaker lid on a can of parmesean, nothing gets sucked in and nothing is ejected out of the can since the pressure is the same on both sides.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by robertfenix]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the other aspect of it. For whatever reason I just assumed they would be at the same pressure. Great explanation for if they were slightly different.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blobby 2
what would happen if you had 2 vacums and 1 was in the other an you opened the inside one up?? so the vacum is introduced to another vacum??

would nothing happen?

would something happen that could produce energy?

Has anyone tried it?

No, my Hoover upright won't fit inside my Eureka canister vacuum.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This sucks

*runs away to give self a one line warn*

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Im pretty sure a vacuum [state] is essentially a flatline of space. Math 0 + 0 = 0

The idea you seem to be hinting at is intriguing though. The idea of warping space in a ascending [word used for lack of better one] manner as opposed to the descending manner caused by mass and gravity. While i certainly have no proof that all mass/gravity warps of space lie the same way the fact that one gravity field interacts in an additive way and not unpredictably [sometimes add, sometimes subtract] implies that gravity/mass warp the fabric of space in only one direction.

It could be used as a way of storing energy. More of a spring loaded thing than a fluid energy source. (Just my opinion)

You may be trying to rip a hole in space-time, but the ability to do that depends on the nature of spacetime. If it is like the surface of the ocean, it can be disturbed, but not torn, If on the otherhand it is a fabric like layer it could be torn, but im not sure that would be such a good idea. Better IMO to separate from it and explore the exo-universe realm. Then you still have an intact universe to come home to.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by slank]

top topics

join