It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding The Lost City of Gold, Paititi

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Not sure if its the same "legendary city", but there is a very good documentary from 10-15 years ago about an expedition to find a legendary city of gold.
The city was said to be on what we would call a mesa, only much bigger than mesas here in the states, this one was 3k-4k feet tall. In the 30's an american prospector found huge nuggets on the top of the mesa, and the local said that the mesa was the loctaion of some lost city. I believe the original prospector died trying to find it again.
Anyhow, this doc detailed a new search for the city, during which they did find carved stone stairs in the cloud jungle, but no sign of a city, but i believe they did find some gold.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Well, my fav IJ certainly is not 'the Crystal Skulls'...what a let down.

I'd go with "The Last Crusade" as well, mainly because I really liked the interaction between Ford and Connery, and the fact that Connery's character was such the opposite of Ford's and their approach to archaeology. Their dynamic kind of reminds me of me and my dad, which is probably why it's my favorite. Well...and then with Petra as the backdrop of the climax of the movie, how can it not be great? Also, the knight's reaction to the dude turning into an old skeleton is classic: "He chose poorly."

"Raiders" would be a very close second. Apparently, I like the first and third movies in trilogies...except for Star Wars, where I think that "Empire" was the best of the three.

edit on 28-9-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: Blue Shift alot of people do not think the fabled cities of gold were actually paved with gold but maybe yellow stone.

That's what I'm thinking, too... Just a stone city with lots of gold hoarded in a hidden room.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
I'm pretty sure the US Army and others have found and collected gold finds,if there is any I'm doubting it is in a spot close to impossible to reach,who's better at pilidging doing it for hundreds of years

I don't think an Army could be ordered to parachute in and start looking. Way too many dangers that they're not used to or trained for. Being trained to strategically out maneuver and/or eliminate the enemy isn't going to cut it. Archaeologists study maps and lands and stories and native languages (which have to be learned also) and many other things before they go on a journey such as this. Sometimes they might gather funds and facts/tales/theories for a decade or more before attempting such a feat, especially one as dangerous as this one poses in the most lethal rainforest on Earth. Not to mention all the wildlife you have to learn about, and shrubbery, and uncivilized cannibalistic tribes.

Sounds more like a special forces mission, which always requires a clear objective; map out and excavate land, collect artifacts, investigate tombs or buildings. Especially given the cost of bringing camping gear, mini-excavators, clearing paths, collecting items, placing mapping grids and logging everything.

By the looks of it, you wouldn't be able to get a mini-excavator to that square mountain.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
Not sure if its the same "legendary city", but there is a very good documentary from 10-15 years ago about an expedition to find a legendary city of gold.
The city was said to be on what we would call a mesa, only much bigger than mesas here in the states, this one was 3k-4k feet tall. In the 30's an american prospector found huge nuggets on the top of the mesa, and the local said that the mesa was the loctaion of some lost city. I believe the original prospector died trying to find it again.
Anyhow, this doc detailed a new search for the city, during which they did find carved stone stairs in the cloud jungle, but no sign of a city, but i believe they did find some gold.

Interesting, especially about the carved stairs... Maybe the city was below. I tried to search a little bit for legendary city documentaries from the mid 2000's but didn't find anything.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Agreed 100% on Crystal Skull, that's why I didn't even bother mentioning it, lol...

Yes, Petra! The city of or in the crescent moon... Plus Elsa was easy on the eyes. Raiders of the Lost Ark is a very close second for me as well, I promise I'm not copy catting... The Temple of Doom just didn't peak my attention as much, maybe because I'd never heard of the sacred stones he was after.

Ah, Star Wars... I'd have to say my favorite is Return of the Jedi, closely followed by A New Hope, closely followed by Empire. None of the other Star Wars have even remotely compared, although it was good to see Solo and Leia in the Force Awakens.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I read somewhere that the only reason (or, at least, the main one) that Lucas decided to do "The Last Crusade" was as an apology for how dark "Temple" was--apparently, it didn't resonate well with the audience, so he felt that he couldn't end it on that.

Now we have a fifth on in the works, probably for a similar reason in response to "Crystal Skulls." As long as Shia LeBouf isn't in it, it's already better.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I read somewhere that the only reason (or, at least, the main one) that Lucas decided to do "The Last Crusade" was as an apology for how dark "Temple" was--apparently, it didn't resonate well with the audience, so he felt that he couldn't end it on that.

Now we have a fifth on in the works, probably for a similar reason in response to "Crystal Skulls." As long as Shia LeBouf isn't in it, it's already better.

LOL! Yeah I couldn't watch it if LeBouf was in it either, that guy is a pure idiot.

That would be absolutely fantastic if he's making it to make up for the flop that Crystal Skulls was. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like aliens and the thought of them being out there, but it is definitely not a good match for an Indiana Jones flick IMO. That would be as bad as putting them in the next PotC.

<< 1  2   >>

join