It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is a gypsy?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The term gypsy has several overlapping meanings. Initially the word was used to referred to the Romani People, who first appeared in England at about the beginning of the 16th century. Although in certain contexts it is still used to describe the Romani, it also describes those in English speaking countries who live a lifestyle similar to that of the Romani, or as a translation of equivalent words in other languages. Also known as a people without a nationality.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion over the identity of the gypsies. The term gypsie is a broad term used to describe a number of totally unrelated people.
Gypsie also is used to refer to the people known as Pikeys here in England. Also known as "Travellers". They have no genetic or true cultural relation to the Romany gypsies, other than a nomadic lifestyle. My husband is English, and when I asked him what Pikeys were, he told me they were criminals and vermin. He used the term gypsy, but made it clear that the Travellers were NOT the same as Romany gypsies.

I worked with a few Travelers over the years.
A number of them work in the construction industry.

Most are Irish Travelers.(they mostly work construction legal or not,(many states require licensing of construction trade workers and apprenticeships, Travelers train there kids and there kids train there kids and don't believe in state licensing))
But some are Scottish Travelers.(many called themselves Carny's and work traveling Carnivals)
My grandfather was a Carny.

Both Irish and Scottish travelers speak Shelta ((the Cant)Gammon). Most Shelta/Gammon words were formed from Irish/Scottish Gaelic. Some scottish travelers also use Beurla Reagaird(highlands cant)
Gradum a gradum.

The Pike(short for Pikey) in Long Beach Calif was the west coast meeting place for both Irish and Scottish travelers
www.beachcalifornia.com...

Now days few old time scottish travelers work carny. and Carny Cant has changed to a carny slang.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion over the identity of the gypsies. The term gypsie is a broad term used to describe a number of totally unrelated people.
Gypsie also is used to refer to the people known as Pikeys here in England. Also known as "Travellers". They have no genetic or true cultural relation to the Romany gypsies, other than a nomadic lifestyle. My husband is English, and when I asked him what Pikeys were, he told me they were criminals and vermin. He used the term gypsy, but made it clear that the Travellers were NOT the same as Romany gypsies.

Most are Irish Travelers.(they mostly work construction legal or not,(many states require licensing of construction trade workers and apprenticeships, Travelers train there kids and there kids train there kids and don't believe in state licensing))
But some are Scottish Travelers.(many called themselves Carny's and work traveling Carnivals)

Both Irish and Scottish travelers speak Shelta ((the Cant)Gammon). Most Shelta/Gammon words were formed from Irish/Scottish Gaelic. Some scottish travelers also use Beurla Reagaird(highlands cant)
Gradum a gradum.

The Pike(short for Pikey) in Long Beach Calif was the west coast meeting place for both Irish and Scottish travelers

Now days few old time scottish travelers work carny. and Carny Cant has changed to a carny slang.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Where I grew up in the midwest, these people were frequently known as "Grifters"

Originally posted by ANNED

Gradum a gradum.

I can't say I ever personally knew any Carnys, but they were different from Grifters. Grifters were frequently just one family and often worked in trade (like you mentioned) whereas Carnys were groups of families that travelled with the carnival or circus.

Either way, European gypsies prefer to go by the name "Roma"

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalmessiah
I always hear myths & legends surrounding them. I even made brief acquaintence with a few people who claimed to be gypsies. I was always scared I might offend them by asking. what exactly is a gypsy? is it a race or religion? I wasnt sure exactly where to post this but figured I would get the most educated answers here.

Well you are right not to ask them too many questions because they will turn any situation into a fight. I don't know much about gypsies in other parts of the world but I am very familiar with Irish gypsys. They are thieves, trouble makers and best avoided in my experience...don't ever let one into your house unless you want to come back one day and find they have striped it bare, including fireplaces and boiler! All Irish travellers do boxing so are quite handy with their fists, including the female gyps!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join