It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Years Ago, California Decided To Go Easy On Crime. The Results Of Their Experiment Are In.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Our whole criminal justice system needs an overhaul.

The layers of laws and penalties, the legal system itself is a Gordian knot of epic proportions.

Personally, we need to punish those convicted of violent crimes, or crimes using a firearm with death.

We need to release non-violent offenders and offenses for minor drug charges.

And if we say you go to jail for 20 years for assault, then by god, MAKE it 20 years!

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Here's some data.

Make your own judgement.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
You should at least read the wiki about this before spouting opinions

wiki

I believe that it only reduces sentencing on non violent crimes

edit on 11-8-2017 by Wildbob77 because: My link didn't work

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

Wow! Are you one of the rumoured 'reasonable folk' that are alleged to exist on the internet? Pleased to meet you.

You make balanced points. Laws and law enforcement are a necessity for a safe and fair society. Access to good education is arguably equally as important seeing as low attainment is a universal factor in crime/prison stats. Charting a course through these pillars of society is tough and there's no escaping the need for punishment being built in to the system.

Cali looks like they want to alter the 'graphic equalisers' of social mobility, criminal charges, education and so forth to see if they can find a better balance. So yeah, I tend to share your view that the controls still need more fine-tuning to get it right.

Ha, I think that is part of why I'm not so popular here.

Things we never really see on ATS, and I say it in most threads, why don't we all from every spectrum come together and see what we agree on and go from there. Such as term limits. I have yet to see anyone here disagree with that idea.

Until we as a people demand it, lawmakers who make the rules will never make laws against themselves.

<< 1  2   >>

join