It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAFE Alconbury to be re-activated??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
So sadly I was at my dads funeral in Huntingdon last week a hard time, but it did mean I had the opportunity to catch up with old friends, where I was told this snippet of information, Apparently there have been discussions looking into the viability of re activating USAFE Alconbury (which actually has a small USAF contingent and not due for full hand back till 2020's) , Molesworth and planned closure of Mildenhall cancelled. The reason being the recent cooling of old cold war relations with Russia. Don't really know any more than that, Id love to think that might mean full reactivation and a return to A10's flying from the site but probably not. Certainly not something been discussed at this point, but maybe need to make a decision soon before any more civil development continues.

A statement from EUCOM said: “Considering the current European security environment, it is a prudent measure to review some of the decisions under the January 2015 European Infrastructure Consolidation effort. “These closures were programmed over a number of fiscal years and to date, none of these sites have been returned to the host nation, as we are putting the necessary infrastructure in place to facilitate mission and personnel moves necessary.” If EUCOM decides against the closure of RAF Alconbury and Molesworth, which is home to US Air Force communication and intelligence operations, it would need backing from the US government. If the decision to close the bases is confirmed, however, operations would be moved to RAF Croughton, in Northamptonshire.

www.huntspost.co.uk...
www.itv.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: urbanfox

I for one would be happy to see the US resume it's military deployment to these old air bases, I know the whole CND argument but they were good for the local economy and also brought Britain closer to the US and also now we are leaving the EU it may be prudent to restore our mutually beneficial relationship with the US (but please no GM crap or chlorine washed chicken in my food).

These bases like little America's often had there own town's complete with school's, shopping mall's and recreational facility's but they also benefited the local economy's around them so though a mixed blessing over all they were more beneficial by far than they were ever detrimental.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

They haven't formally changed their position on Mildenhall, but they have said they are reconsidering the decision to close the base.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters from 1980-1982 with the 81st TFW, 511th AMB. A few years later they moved the A-10s up to RAF Alconbury. When they closed Alconbury, the A-10s were moved to Sembach AB, Germany. I'm curious to see what type of aircraft they will station there next.

WW

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarthogWrangler

I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters from 1980-1982 with the 81st TFW, 511th AMB. A few years later they moved the A-10s up to RAF Alconbury. When they closed Alconbury, the A-10s were moved to Sembach AB, Germany. I'm curious to see what type of aircraft they will station there next.

WW

Raider gear.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarthogWrangler

WW

Raider gear.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: WarthogWrangler

well not strictly true the A10's Left and the the MC130H/N/P and MH53J's from 39th Special Operations Wing came. but just a year later they announced a drawdown of activities.I dont think they will go ahead and re activate the flight field but who knows, If they did maybe it would be the A10's or Possibly the TR1's From Beale ( but I think a lot of the dragon lady's infrastructure has already being destroyed, Maybe it would make more sense to have the F35's with Marham The RAF F35 base not so far away.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Thanks for the update. I loved being stationed in the UK. Gave me the chance to travel all over Europe.

WW

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: WarthogWrangler

when I lived in Huntingdon, I had a few American friends. You all seemed so friendly compared you your average yocal lol. Loved going to the Airshows at Alconbury too. also from a commercial perspective, I don't know what your pay was actually like but you guys certainly seemed to spend a lot off base- so I'm sure it had a massive effect on local business when the base down sized.

new topics

top topics

join