It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Dean Koontz Fans?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I love Dean Koontz. He's a genius imo. I can't get enough. So far I have read:

False Memory
Cold Fire
The Bad Place
Lightning
Watchers
Phantoms
The Mask
Shattered
Strange Highways
By The Light of the Moon
Ticktock
The Face
Odd Thomas
The Taking

I can't pick a favorite, The Taking last one I read was sooo good. I just started From the Corner of His Eye

Do you have a favorite Koontz, Have you ever been let down by any of his work yet?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I picked up one of his books called "Odd Thomas" and so far its pretty good. What would you recomend after reading "Odd Thomas"?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Do you have a favorite Koontz, Have you ever been let down by any of his work yet?

I think I read 3 in a row sometime in the late 80's before dropping him. I do that. Did the same thing with Stephen King, Scott Turow, all the commercial guys.

I like one, the next is okay, then hate the third.

I think it was Watchers I loved. About the smart dog? Horrible movie though. YIKES!

Then read like Whispers I think it was...or Whispers in the Dark or something??? About... well, no way to say what the whispers were without ruining it.

HORRIBLE.

Then read a chapter or two of the next, and was done.

But that's just me.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Had to see what that title was. It was Whispers.

Check this review:

If you have ever read and enjoyed truely great literature, this is not for you.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Big Koontz fan here, and I've read most of the ones you mentioned... I got my wife (also a Koontz fan) Odd Thomas recently, and that's the next one for me to read....

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Odd Thomas was very good. If you can get your hands on The Taking, I think that's a good one too or Tick Tock

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I am a pretty big fan as of late(read 3 in a row last month)

I would have to say I think his best work is:

By the light of the Moon, just incredible...if I knew they would not screw it up, it would make for a great movie.

also excellent are:

The Face
From the corner of his Eye

* as for being let down by his work...yes and no; but only because of the way he chooses to end some of his books...meaning they just sort of end?
Other than that I guess not. Fun though, he is always with that damn dog.
(and sometimes, just sometimes, his toupe' scares me)

[edit on 2/6/2005 by bobafett1972]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I finished From Corner of His Eye yesterday. It was good
you get a nice happy ending but so many people died in that one.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Havent read any in a while, but i like them very much.

Fantasy science, intrigue, and secret government paranoia make a good plot recipe. I saw one of his made into a movie, ewww it was bad.

Reading is so much richer and detailed than the rushed effort to try and get a story to film for a 2 hour stretch.

Reading is also somewhat individualized for each reader. Each person reads and visualizes it slightly differently. Like different shades of color refracting through a prism.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I think my favourite was TickTock but i read one not too long ago about a Serial Killer who thought he was untouchable, sort of like God. I remember one part of the book when the Killer has just finished killing everyone in the house and he finds a Spider and eats it because he thinks he can absorb the characteristics of everything he kills. that was a pretty creepy book i wish i could remember the name of it.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
is he the one that rights about a character named Dirk Pitt. I remember reading on e about some underwater caves in mexico some interesting stuff. I am just waiting on Dan Brown to throw something new out there.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I think my favorite was Twilight Eyes. That was great concept and I really enjoyed it. Another I liked a lot was Phantoms (the movie sucked).

All in all, I think there are only a couple I have not read.

Oh, Lightning! Think I need to read that again. I remember it was good.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Dean Koontz is a really excellent author- though his writing style gets a little monotonous after awhile. I've read just about everything he has written. Leigh Nichols was a pen name he used when he first started writing. "House of Thunder" was written under that name. I would say that out of all his books I dislike that one the most. My three all time favorites are, "Dragon Tears", "Midnight", and "Tick Tock".

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I can actually say that I have read all of his books. I started reading him in High School and I can actually say that because of a good book of his I read everything in sight now. Don't have a favorite, just love to read anything and everything and as long as it's a good story I'm happy.

By the way, the character Dirk Pitt is written by Clive Cussler. Love his books too. Happy reading all.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I've only read one of his books, "Winter Moon". I really liked it. My mom gave it to me (she's read a whole bunch of his books) When I told her I really liked it, she was surprised, because that is apparently one of his worst books, according to her. So he must be a very good writer, indeed, if that's the case.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Lightning was a great book and would make an excellent movie IMO. How can you go wrong with time-traveling nazis.

Whispers if I remember correctly is about the devil dolls that kill people, right? That too was excellent.

Peace

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I really need to pick up some of his books I haven't read (which is a short list), hehe...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
He's probably my favorite author, at least in my top 3 along with Dan Brown and Steven Pressfield. My two favorite books by Dean Koontz are "By Light of the Moon" and "Cold Fire". I just love the combination of sci-fi, mystery, paranormal, and thriller which are elements in all his novels I've read so far. "The Taking" is brand new right? Anyone read it yet?

[edit on 1-8-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
I think my favourite was TickTock but i read one not too long ago about a Serial Killer who thought he was untouchable, sort of like God. I remember one part of the book when the Killer has just finished killing everyone in the house and he finds a Spider and eats it because he thinks he can absorb the characteristics of everything he kills. that was a pretty creepy book i wish i could remember the name of it.

The one about the serial killer was called "Dragon Tears" and the killer had supernatural abilities and kept victim's eyes in jars.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I've been a fan of Dean's ever since the early 70's when I first came across his name in a fanzine, The Bode Bulletin. As an avid fan of underground comic book legend, Vaughn Bode, I was keen to support fellow fans of this great artist. I wasn't disappointed. I've enjoyed Dean's work ever since. Plus I seem to enjoy his work even more since knowing that we both shared a common affinity for the work of Vaughn Bode.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join