It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Point Trolling Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
As of late I’ve noticed a lot of inflammatory subjects being posted. In particular there seems to be a number of rather troll like posts that seem to be advocating positions that I would classify as religious zealotry and/ or white supremacy, among others.

For instance, based on their titles alone, the “Kill a Jew,” and the “World for Whites” threads seem to fit into the “hate” category. I won’t even bother to look at them. The titles alone are borderline violations of the TOS (IMHO)..

These aren’t the only ones. It certainly seems that a number of threads have been started lately that seem little more point trolling.

I realize that the vary nature of a conspiracy forum inspires debate and disagreement. I also realize that conspiracy theories tend to bring out some borderline personality types.

While I dislike over moderated forums, I dislike trolls even more.

I realize that the Mods have to walk a fine line in this regard, and I certainly wouldn’t want to have to do that on a regular basis.

I don’t really have any suggestions here, but I just wanted to post up my concern over his issue.

[edit on 4-2-2005 by HowardRoark]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I've been here for a while now and it has gotten worse. However, it needs to be taken into consideration that if a certain percentage of members are 'trolling' and the membership grows as it has been then we are going to have more trolls. I really don't see it as a fault of the staff as they are on top of it as best as can be expected.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Seems to be more folks lateyl who loooove being on their soapbox over certain issues. And, they don't seem open to opposing vewipoints.

I think if you allow them to have their say, they will grow bored of the board and leave. I've noticed the Masonic trolls disappear once posters stop baiting them.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
You might want to check out the following ATS discussion that was going on the other day www.abovetopsecret.com...
It may be the cause of these racial motivated threads.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
imo firm opinion that this thread is a troll thread...j/k (dont kill)

I have noticed the same thing in the following thread

ats thread "i am a muslim"

I think that these hate threads are at least in a proper thread, instead of trying to hijack others for their use and agendas... (as seems to be the case lately)

so allowing them a thread so that they can be educated by the fine enlightened members of ATS, is perhaps the best way of denying ignorance.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well, exploit them, do what I did. You have all these people going on how jews are evil and taking over the world, so I made a post that asks why do you think this? Why are jews hated this much? Why are there entire nations dedicated to killing them? What did they do? This way, you get most of the trolls busy on one topic instead of having 10 bad topics from 10 trolls flooding ATS, you have them all collected on one good topic.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
From time to time people post in a way that gets many replies, this can be the result of well written work, including images, facts and links ... Other times people post in a way that is given in to pure ignorance... Thus the site motto!!

For me, it is very interesting watching our many amazing members shred up an ignorant post... and leave it as an example of ignorance denied, rather than to just send it to the trash bin.

After all, is that not what the best of us do here?

Gazz

[edit on 4-2-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
For me, it is very interesting watching our many amazing members shred up an ignorant post... and leave it as an example of ignorance denied, rather than to just send it to the trash bin.

I agree.
When I first registered I seen allot of threads started with the intent just to get people rilled up. At first I would get mad that these people were getting thousands of points for stupidity. Then I realized that after a little while they get them selves banned anyway.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
From time to time people post in a way that gets many replies, this can be the result of well written work, including images, facts and links ... Other times people post in a way that is given in to pure ignorance... Thus the site motto!!

After all, is that not what the best of us do here?

Gazz

[edit on 4-2-2005 by UM_Gazz]

Ahhhh...you're so right, show me the money!!
One question though, it seems to me that some of the posts are clever attempts to draw out prospective recruits from the ATS community. Is my conspiracy-oriented mind jumping to conclusions here, or are there recruiters still trolling these boards? (e.g. White people, Kill a Jew, Gays, Jews..., etc.). All these topics seem to have something in common. On the other hand, I'm new. I don't know how often these threads come along.

Anyway, I'm just trying to deny my own ignorance.

Deny Ignorance

Edit: man, my browser just closed and I had a badass post for the gay gene thread!!!

Oh well, you shouldn't feed the trolls anyway

[edit on 4-2-2005 by poonchang]

[edit on 4-2-2005 by poonchang]

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
they're agent provocateurs. mind controlled puppets of the establishment's 'education system'. maybe ATS tries to 'deny ignorance', but the world at large is an amalgum of beliefs, all overlapping and interweaving in a high contrast mosaic. yet it is not static, this mandalic flurry of patterns, more like a lava lamp with thousands of colours. most of the really strong colours are the various patterns of religious dogma, all the colours a small kernel of truth, yet incomplete. how can the truth be seen in it's full scope, except by god?

these labels, like 'jew' 'muslim' 'christian' etc. are like remote controls to incite the masses into a murderous rage. yet, they are largely meaningless in person to person interaction. i live in toronto, probably the most cosmopolitan city in the world. people have no problems living side by side, here. there is a huge asian, east indian, black, jewish, whitey population here. every religion, every colour of skin.

these troll people are trying to incite hatred. i don't think it's about points. i think it's about trying to dominate the rainbow with their 'colors', RED, in this case.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Howard Roark, you make a good point but for every post like the ones you referenced there is a legitimate poster getting slammed for being a troll. often if a new member posts a question that some of the veteran posters think is dumb the new poster is automatically a troll. there are a few on here that need to get over themselves. seems some folks would rather get off on feeling better than someone than enlighten the admittedly ignorant to the truth.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
To be perfectly honest, those out there among the forums who are posting for the pure purpose of point-hording or trolling, likely end up post-banned, banned or simply smacked with so many different types of warning for infractions of the TOS, that they end up with negative points instead of the intentional opposite.

It doesn't pay to horde points, unless you actually create well written topics!

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
rather troll like posts that seem to be advocating positions that I would classify as religious zealotry and/ or white supremacy, among others.
For instance, based on their titles alone, the “Kill a Jew,”

You said you didn't bother looking at the thread. Perhaps
you should have. It would have saved you some heartache.

I started the thread titled 'Kill a Jew - Go to Heaven'. It was a
news article that exposes the Palestinian Authority pushing
this philosophy on the Palestinians. The article in no way
advocates killing Jews. It actually shows the sick thought
process of 'Kill a Jew - Go to Heaven'.

And as far as your suggestion that it is 'point hoarding' or some
such thing. ...
I couldn't care less about points.
Take 'em all. Leave 'em all. I don't care. The thread was
started as a discussion tool about how hate is taught against
Jewish people.

Before you state that something is 'advocating white supremacy',