It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHS 1140b: Potentially Habitable Super-Earth Found Orbiting Nearby Red Dwarf

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna

39 light years? how are we going to get past the vanhalen belt (lol) let alone attain light speed. i cant see that happening in the next 100 years, the aliens built that barrier around earth to keep us here.

Jump. Might as well jump. Go ahead and jump! Jump!

We need an engine and a power source that can push more than a rover to the nearest planet. Very true. Force field?? I suppose if you are travelling real fast. May as well throw in some inertial dampeners too!!

If we do... jump... ahead 400 years, maybe the whole gravity thing will be figured out. Then no super force field needed. Just a regular one. But first, an engine and a power source.

Then we can finish what we've started!

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
If we do... jump... ahead 400 years, maybe the whole gravity thing will be figured out. Then no super force field needed. Just a regular one. But first, an engine and a power source.

Maybe in 400 years our intelligent machines will decide to fly to a distant planet. Although, them being machines and all, and able to get all the power and resources they need in the local space neighborhood, they might not see the point in it.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Imagine if some aliens looked at Earth any of the other 4,999,999,850 years other than the last 150 or so. No detection of intelligent electronic noise, fossil fuels in the atmosphere etc. That gives about 150 light year radius we are detectable if they exist at the same time.

They'd just see some planet at who knows what stage.

That planet may have been inhabited millions of years ago and gone extinct or it could develop life after earth is extinct of life. We'd never know.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

So, assuming you've seen DBZ or something similar, if we could survive, would it perhaps be possible to "train" there to be stronger or do you think its more likely that our bodies would shut down or collapse?

Just bouncing around some thoughts.

-Alee

Heh without indulging how much of a geek I can be........I know exactly what you are referring to.

I thought about this idea if a human can adapt gradually to increased gravity. First we would have to find a way to simulate an increase in gravity which currently we can not do.

But say you did have a room where you could increase gravity. If you doubled current gravity suddenly and you weighed say 150 under earth gravity then your weight in the room will have gone up to 300 pounds the first thing I could think of going wrong is the strain on your heart would increase as it has to put more effort into pumping blood up and through the body. Your bones would also weigh twice as much any fall could increase the likely hood of breaking a bone. I would imagine prolonged exposure to such an increase would be detrimental to the health.

One possibility I thought about is very very slowly increasing the gravity to 2 times earth gravity. Maybe taking a year to gradually gradually increase the gravity to twice earths.
I'm curious to know if with a slow steady increase in gravity if the body could adjust to twice earths gravity.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I'm in,as long as DBCowboy isn't driving.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Sunblock is a must spf 1000!!a reply to: 2Faced

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

Could make for a whole new formala, when compared to earth life, to what kind of life would inhabit the planet.

How Much Gravity Can Humans Handle?

Humans are a very adaptable species. We do have our limits though. According to NASA’s Ames Research Center’s expert on humans in space, a person has survived 2x Earth’s gravity for 24 straight hours without ill effects. They go on to claim that it is theoretically possible for a human to adapt to a gravity environment that is between 2x and 3x that of the Earth. However, they say that at 4 times Earth’s gravity (4G) or above, human physiology cannot maintain sufficient blood-flow to the brain.

In the future, it may be possible to break the 4G limit with enhancements in genetic manipulation and extremely strong mechanical replacement organs to keep our body’s systems running, but that technology is a long way off.

source

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   

What do they mean when they say "without a substantial gas envelope"? Does that mean a lack of atmosphere or just not as thick of an atmosphere as say venus?

I would think this means that it does not have a really thick atmosphere like a gas giant. After all, what would be the point of using the words "potentially habitable" if there was essentially no atmosphere?

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Does anyone else wonder, with all these new discoveries of planets, "close" to us, if not only are they prepping us to learn about extraterrestrial life, but maybe secret technology we may have to actually get there faster than we thought possible?

Yeah, my mind wanders.....

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I think about it too!

All the newspaper are using terms like:

Newly Discovered Exoplanet May be Best Candidate in Search for Signs of Life | eso.org

Exoplanet LHS 1140b may be most habitable yet found | cosmosmagazine.com

Newfound Alien Planet Is Best Place Yet to Search for Life | space.com

I think that 2018 will be the year we'll know it for real with the James Webb Telescope.

Much more to come! Definitely exciting years...

<< 1   >>

join