It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas congressional race first in nation since Trump's win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Where is Buzzy?

The nation's first congressional election since President Donald Trump's victory is taking place next week for a seat Republicans have held for two decades in a south-central Kansas district Trump carried with 60 percent of the vote.

It would seem this seat a sure win for the gop.

Republicans have represented the district since Todd Tiahrt unseated veteran Democratic Rep. Dan Glickman in 1994. Pompeo won the state's 4th District seat in 2010, when Tiahrt gave it up to run unsuccessfully for the U.S. Senate.

I know a large amount of people are angry at the states governor. That coupled with trumps reported unpopularity seems to be a recipe to flip a seat in the house.

Estes acknowledged people across the country are looking at the Kansas election as an indication of the new president's support and approval rating, and he predicted people will vote for him because of his support for Trump's policies. Estes advocates the repeal and replacement of President Barack Obama's health care act, even after the GOP's recent failed efforts to do so. Estes, like Trump, has made reducing the regulatory burden on business a big part of his campaign. He also backs building a border wall and supports Trump's executive order seeking to suspend new visas for people in six Muslim-majority countries. He opposes funding for abortion provider Planned Parenthood. "Our president has done a great job since he has been in office," Estes said.

Anyone think this race is an actual test of the potus popularity or is it just a regional thing?

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I don't believe any polls taken by or with republicans anymore. It's a trick or they lie.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I don't believe any polls taken by or with republicans anymore. It's a trick or they lie.

Polls are nothing but propaganda to push whatever narrative the source is trying to push. Trump supporters screamed this from the rooftops for a good while and it always landed on deaf ears, until we were proven right.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

No people lie and register for one party then switch and all kinds of shenanigans. I live in a all red state and have heard it all.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Looks like a race between two old white guys in a white district.

www.biggestuscities.com...

Guess that could go either way depending on who's counting the votes. Probably low turnout is expected so it will be easy to pad the votes.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I worked for the GOP during the campaign. My sources tell me they aren't to happy with the current direction the Trump administration is heading.

www.rasmussenreports.com...

I don't put much credence in polls but Trump does and he's disappointed this Syrian adventure didn't give him a bump.

His communication people are working overtime in "rebranding" Trump.

Will this show up in local elections....not very much.

edit on 10-4-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Anyone think this race is an actual test of the potus popularity or is it just a regional thing?

All politics are local.

The real test will be the midterms.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So this congressional seat is local but the midterms will not be?

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

So those polled are liars or the polls are liars? I am confused.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Coming out of Kansas, this would be a better test of the nation's temper if we were talking about the JoCo seat that Kevin Yoder currently holds.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: MOMof3

So those polled are liars or the polls are liars? I am confused.

I can't help you.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

edit on 10-4-2017 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Where is Buzzy?

The nation's first congressional election since President Donald Trump's victory is taking place next week for a seat Republicans have held for two decades in a south-central Kansas district Trump carried with 60 percent of the vote.

It would seem this seat a sure win for the gop.

Republicans have represented the district since Todd Tiahrt unseated veteran Democratic Rep. Dan Glickman in 1994. Pompeo won the state's 4th District seat in 2010, when Tiahrt gave it up to run unsuccessfully for the U.S. Senate.

I know a large amount of people are angry at the states governor. That coupled with trumps reported unpopularity seems to be a recipe to flip a seat in the house.

Estes acknowledged people across the country are looking at the Kansas election as an indication of the new president's support and approval rating, and he predicted people will vote for him because of his support for Trump's policies. Estes advocates the repeal and replacement of President Barack Obama's health care act, even after the GOP's recent failed efforts to do so. Estes, like Trump, has made reducing the regulatory burden on business a big part of his campaign. He also backs building a border wall and supports Trump's executive order seeking to suspend new visas for people in six Muslim-majority countries. He opposes funding for abortion provider Planned Parenthood. "Our president has done a great job since he has been in office," Estes said.

People always flip on the party in power..

They can no longer claim "it's the other guy screwing up"...

The GOP majority is likely to cause so much pain and suffering that we actually get single payer and universal salaries...

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Actually, after listening to the skinny on it this morning and doing some looking around ...

This election will be a more accurate referendum on Brownback than it will Trump. Estes is a Brownback insider who worked in the financial side of things. I am not surprised that the state level GOP is not very happy to touch this race, and it seems that Estes is not running a very good campaign.

Let's just say it seems that the incumbent party is relying on a deeply red district to carry a lackluster candidate without putting much effort into the race. Then that candidate has strong ties to a controversial governor.

You might say the Kansas GOP is trying to Hillary Clinton this one.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That is true
brownback is a wedge
I like the use of hillary clinton as a verb

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Well, it turned out to be a win for the Republicans.
The Dems were desperate for an anti-Trump result but once again they lost. I guess they must be used to it by now.
You can be sure the media would have hyped a Democrat win as a vote on trump, but now the Republicans have won... silence.
edit on 12/4/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

join