It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Feature: Spell Check?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I read a ton of posts on ATS daily, and one thing that really bothers me is the spelling and grammatical errors made by many posters. It's like most of the members here type while drunk and do not re-read their posts. To me this lowers the credibility (members seem less intelligent and careless) of many of the member's posts, and therefore hurts the ATS community. I have no doubt that it would dramatically improve the ATS community if posts adhered to a somewhat academic standard.

So basically i'm wondering about the feasibility of a spell check function on the post reply and new topic pages. Maybe even a compulsory spell check?

I believe this feature would dramatically enhance our community.

- Attero

[edit on 31-1-2005 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Checked, free of charge:

feasibility
compulsory
enhance

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Of course, see even I need compulsory spell check! I just knew I would make some errors on a post about spell check.

- Attero

Thanks for the free spell check MaskedAvatar.

[edit on 31-1-2005 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
If I recall, its been brought up many times before, but was said to be too Server Intensive to actually use.

Just do what some people do, type it in Word or Wordpad, and just run spellcheck.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
well here is a handy tool if you don't have a spell checker

ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer

[edit on 31/1/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Or use IESpell for Internet Explorer
or
Spellbound for Firefox

An integrated spellcheck on the board would be too much of a server drain. We don't want to go *back* to the days of low-bandwidth mode, do we?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I was just typing this when I saw Saurons post.

I believe it’s been discussed many times. It would be a server strain we couldn’t afford. A good alternative would be iespell, it works with explorer and will spell check everything you type. I’ve been using it for some time and am happy with its performance. Did I mention it’s free?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The thing is, I don't post much at all. I mainly read other member's posts, and many of contain an abundance of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors which make them very hard to read. Though, I guess I could paste whole posts into something like word and fix all the errors and then read it (if that is what you're suggesting).

- Attero

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
My spelt cheek works vary vary gut! I lave my spiel chic! It erects very miss spieling I mace sew eye kin sound vary pro fissional!

Edit: spieling

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Seth76]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
The new, 1.9 version of XMB has an iSpell eSpell feature, but I don't think SO can implement that into the ATS board with the extensive modifications he has made to the ATS board.

I suggest downloading the above mentioned browser plugins.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Being dyslexic ( yep i ran that through a spell checker ) i have to use spellbound. But even the best spell checker cant correct something that you spell hopelessly wrong so i still spell somethings incorrectly. Even then i have to get my Wife to check the suggested word in case im picking something completely different to what i want to put down.
Im not badly dyslexic so it maybe not as bad for me as it is for some people. Its not so much reading, i can read quickly but writing i have trouble with.
Anyway, there are plenty of good checkers out there.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
AHHH BUT!!!
It's so funny when someone gets really mad and starts typing very fast... they mispell everything and sound like little kids throwing a tantrum...

Thanks for the info on the browser checkers...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I would have to nominate this topic as having the most separate threads for itself.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
While I am normally offended when my typing/spelling skills are directly connected to my intelligence by people like the previous poster who by which I must ad doesnt know, before he opens is judgement box that most of the people he is talking about are really well educated , I myself have a total of five degrees ranging from the lowest to one of the highest in the spectrum, but even I used spell check in school , so I agree it would be useful here , but close the judgement box and dont deminish people because they are imperfect as God has created all of us this way on purpose, just because you can do well here typing and spelling etc. doesnt mean your are smarter just better adapted to the use of the medium of conversation.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Just do what some people do, type it in Word or Wordpad, and just run spellcheck.

And iespell...

There you go..

Remember too, English is a SECOND (or third, fourth, etc.) language for many members here...so don't be too hard on 'em...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Remember too, English is a SECOND (or third, fourth, etc.) language for many members here...so don't be too hard on 'em...

Remember as well that people of the same language in different areas speak differently. I once asked a member what her first language was and got snapped at because she thought I was making fun of her. The thing is I meant no offence...for once.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
If I recall, its been brought up many times before, but was said to be too Server Intensive to actually use.

Yeah, some of the posts on here are so horrific that they would crash the server.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I know what you mean Yankees cant often undestand the plain english some southerners are speaking , but us cajuns dont make since most of the time anyway because we speak to languages in the same word or sentence its sorta a broken english french mix , for those who dont know what cajuns speak.

[edit on 3/2/2005 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
could ya all paalease stop makin fun of the way us southerners spell
I mean... Ifin i want ta spell the words the way they sound... whads wrong wit that?
I think it jus adds somthin

new topics

top topics

join